Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm coming out of the closet. I traded in my 09 997 2S Cabriolet in on a new red GTS with PDK. I've been lurking here for about a year ever since I test drove a 2013 981 Boxster S 2 years ago and fell in love but my plans went awry as I came across the 09 Carrera and I weakened and bought. Even though the 911 was a fantastic car, it was missing that "hard to put your finger on" ingredient that makes your heart stir when you see your car. I bit the bullet 3 months ago and now I get that good feeling every time I sit in the Boxster.

I have a Porsche past having owned the 997, a recently sold 96 993 turbo, an 89 930 turbo cabriolet, and a new 911 S in 1975 (my first). I am a member of the PCA having first joined in 1975.

Pictures will be forthcoming.

I do have a question for those that have the deviated stitching option. It is part of the GTS interior package which is on my car. My stitching is the red and I like the look. But I recently noticed that the alcantara covered steering wheel has the stitching but it is silver. I can't imagine that they are all this way. I believe Porsche put the wrong steering wheel on my car. Before I make a fuss with the dealer, I thought I would verify with other owners. Please let me hear from you.

Thanks

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Wow. That's quite a statement/story/transition. I know what you mean about getting in a 981 Boxster. It makes my heart thump just looking at it...even after two years of driving it. I have deviated stitching in my 981 BS on doors and dash and it is all the same color. Maybe the GTS is different but it doesn't seem right that the stitching color would be different.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Did you keep the 930 turbo cab? If not... you maybe should have. ;)

As for that thing that makes your heart stir... that's sort of the downside with all newer 911 cabs. They're just not pretty. There's plenty to love about them... but walking out to your garage and opening the door and thinking "Damn, that's sexy!" just isn't one of them.

Nice choice on the Boxster!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. Is there not anyone with red deviated stitching that can check their steering wheel?

As to the 930, no dumbazz sold it about 2 years ago and lost out on about another 60 grand of appreciation. However, held on to the 993 turbo until recently and made a sick profit on that. Now that it's sold the 993's have gone up another 20 or 30% in just the last couple of months. Made a decent profit on the 930 so between that and the 993, I made enough to pay for the GTS.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
What a title you chose!!!

You scared the hell out of me... I thought Caitlyn Jenner joined P9. The last thing we need is his/her Vanity Fair avatar here. YIKES!!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
whitelightnin, wow what a porsche history... looks like you've driven quite a few and nice to know how much the humble offerrings can stir the emotions :)
the 993 turbo is such a lovely looking car.

Hassaan - hahaha - thanks for making me laugh today!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats on your new beauty and welcome to the 981 club!

I have the GTS interior package with red deviated stitching, the steering wheel does not come with the deviated color stitching. So don't worry, your dealer did not screw up. Enjoy it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
What a title you chose!!!

You scared the hell out of me... I thought Caitlyn Jenner joined P9. The last thing we need is his/her Vanity Fair avatar here. YIKES!!!
Unless, of course, Caitlyn drove a 981 GTS .... Gender Trans Sport

Reactions: stratman

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I traded in my 09 997 2S Cabriolet in on a new red GTS with PDKicon. I've been lurking here for about a year ever since I test drove a 2013 981 Boxster S 2 years ago and fell in love but my plans went awry as I came across the 09 Carrera and I weakened and bought. Even though the 911 was a fantastic car, it was missing that "hard to put your finger on" ingredient that makes your heart stir when you see your car. I bit the bullet 3 months ago and now I get that good feeling every time I sit in the Boxster.

Your post is an absolute nightmare to Porsche. Buyers are supposed to start with the Boxster and then "move up" to the 911, not the other way around.:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your post is an absolute nightmare to Porsche. Buyers are supposed to start with the Boxster and then "move up" to the 911, not the other way around.:)
Well then I must be the Nightmare on Elm St. lead character to Porsche, because I dumped my boring 991 Turbo S for a CGTS and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Well then I must be the Nightmare on Elm St. lead character to Porsche, because I dumped my boring 991 Turbo S for a CGTS and couldn't be happier.
To be honest I'm part of the same club. My currents 981S is the first non 911 I have ever owned. My prior car was a 997S. That's the danger of building such an outstanding "entry level" car.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I beg your pardon! Boring 991 turbo S?

I love the 981 Boxster GTS and wish I can add one to my garage. But boring definitely NOT is the turbo.

To each his own in the end.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I beg your pardon! Boring 991 turbo S?

I love the 981 Boxster GTS and wish I can add one to my garage. But boring definitely NOT is the turbo.

To each his own in the end.
Pfft. Stop trying to justify it. You bought the wrong car. :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Pfft. Stop trying to justify it. You bought the wrong car. :hilarious:
I'm happy for you. I see the pattern here.

What surprised me is that I never heard Porsche enthusiasts describe any model as boring. I understand we all have different needs in a sports car. That's why we hear comments like too little/much power, too stiff/soft on the road, too light/heavy on the corners, sporty/GT like, too engaging/gimmicky, well/highly priced... etc. You got my point, I guess.

But never heard from a Porsche owner on this forum, other forums, at events or down the street that a certain model is boring. Now imagine that being said about the benchmark. My surprise has nothing to do with owning a 991 turbo. I'd be surprised to hear someone saying so about any 986, 987, 981 or 911 model.

I hope I didn't spoil your laughter...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Congrats on your new beauty and welcome to the 981 club!

I have the GTS interior package with red deviated stitching, the steering wheel does not come with the deviated color stitching. So don't worry, your dealer did not screw up. Enjoy it :)

Thanks for clearing that up. I was actually hoping it was a mistake that would be corrected by replacing with a red stitched steering wheel. It just doesn't make sense that they would not have all of the stitching the same.

By the way, I never said that the 997 S was boring. It wasn't. It just didn't have that impossible to describe, heart throb causing, special ingredient that that BGTS possesses. The 993 Turbo and the 939 Turbo both had that ingredient especially the 993. I would just sit and stare at that car. I believe it to be one of the sexiest automobiles ever built. So why did I sell it? It was getting too valuable to drive. I felt uncomfortable driving it, constantly worrying about not what I would do but about what some idiot with no insurance might do. So I have no hesitation about driving the Boxster. After all, it is now a rapidly depreciating asset that I might as well get my money's worth out of. Of course, I also rationalize that it was paid for by others, not out of my hard earned savings.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I felt uncomfortable driving it, constantly worrying about not what I would do but about what some idiot with no insurance might do. So I have no hesitation about driving the Boxster. After all, it is now a rapidly depreciating asset that I might as well get my money's worth out of. Of course, I also rationalize that it was paid for by others, not out of my hard earned savings.
Pretty much my pattern, too. I had a 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL -- one of less than 500 built -- and was never comfortable driving it, always afraid of someone hitting it. Traded it for a 993 c4s. Driving the c4s wasn't as worrisome as the CSL, but still.... Made significant money on both, funded the Cayman and never looked bad. The Cayman is actually more fun to drive, although neither of those cars were "boring."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts