Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
34,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so it is a little play on the words from Star Warsthat Darth Vader speaks to Obi Wan in Ep IV, I certainly don't mean that I'm Darth Vader and I certainly don't mean to disrespect my prior teachers or the head of PCA DE instructors who signed off me becoming an instructor but I had several experiences on the track this weekend and thought I'd share a few.

First the reference I'm speaking of at the moment is that I went out for a run group with the instructors and found myself behind a couple of 944 turbos, one driven by our region president and avid DE'r who later drove my car (that's another story) and the other I *thought* driven by someone from Imagine Auto since it was one of their prepped race cars. When I say that I mean full roll cage, gutted interiors, Hoosiers dropped suspensions, the works. These cars are trailered to the track, not driven. So anyway after following the first 944 turbo for a couple of laps he decides that indeed I am faster so he gives me the pass by signal. I soon catch up with the other car and pace behind him for a lap before he waves me by. I still have no idea who is driving at this point. Later, after the run I am in the paddock and up walks Joe the head honcho for PCA instructor training in the middle of the country and congratulates me on passing him on the track and comments that my car is amazing and that I'm driving very smoothly.

The student has returned to meet the master. :) Joes is a great guy and getting a comment like that was akin to having Vic Elford tell me he likes the Cayman better than the 911. Coooool stuff!

Ok so first some general comments then a few more stories.

1) Car got lots of lookers at this event and despite being filthy was the subject of many a photograph and video, wish I had access to all of them, but I tried to smile and wave as much as possible. If I turn up on some BMW site somewhere let me know.

2) I belched oil one more time over the weekend, it was during a toe to toe battle with a new C6 vette. I just put 1 quart of oil in the car and I am right back where I should be, so I figure that I belched at least a good chunk of that and the rest just came from hard driving. I went 4,000 miles with barely using a drop so I don't think my car has an oil problem other than the intake suction issue that all Caymans will have if driven hard enough and under the right fluid dynamics.

3) Everyone who drove the car loved it, including 944 race car drivers, that 997 C2S owner I spoke about on Friday and my passengers held on for dear life as well. One passenger was in his early 20's and he got out of my car and went to a pack of his friends and was raving about it.

4) Did I mention the Cayman is a great car? ;)

Ok now for some more adventures from this weekend. I have some video and some photos which I will post as soon as I can, likely on Tuesday as tomorrow is booked with work. I mentioned the C6 vette above let me tell you about that run group.

My car had been out for a solid 20 minutes in group 3 being driven by the 997 C2S owner when we pulled in and he got out so I could go drive in the instructor group. I line up behind 3 Corvettes, a C5, a C6 and a C6 Z06. We hit the track and it isn't long before I dispense with the C5. I am clearly faster than him in both the straights and the corners. The 3 of us are in a pack the Z06 has pulled in front of the C6 and I'm right behind the C6, now mind you this is a C6 that says he's as fast as the Z06 because the Z06 has an alignment problem (I've got pics of the his tires and I can believe it). So we come around to the main straight and I expect him to pull away. HE DOESN'T! That's right my car is step for step with him down the entire straight, we reach the end and he is braking sooner than I am so I'm about to ride up his tailpipe. We carry through the corners and I am on him like fat on bacon. He's quick, but I'm there with him every step of the way. He tries to shake me on the back straight. No dice. Meanwhile the Z06 hasn't managed to put but maybe 3car lengths on us after a complete circuit. We hit the main straight again and I move over to pass him but he won't let up or wave me by so now I'm a bit irked. We are clearly even on the straight so I can't overtake him, but I'm also faster in the corners particularly the carousel and the esses. We continue for another lap and I blow smoke and decide I'm not getting anywhere so I come in only to see that my next student's group is on the grid and I need to get into her car because the checkered flag is about to come out on the instructor group. I drive around burning off oil and then go park to meet my student. I later looked for the black C6 vette owner but he was nowhere to be found, I asked the Z06 guy and he said the other guy left for the day. Anyway, how fast is my car? Neck and Neck with a C6, however fast those are supposed to be.

I spent some time with my other student in his 1 year old M3. He was doing a very good job of driving smoothly and I showed him some smoother lines and he was really making good progress. I could not get over the difference between the M3 and the Cayman S though. There is no way on this earth that the M3 is faster than the Cayman S on the track, not in stock form, not with equal drivers, just no way. One is a sporty sedan, the other is a sports car. I'm not knocking the M3 but there is a big gap between the Cayman and the M3 in terms of smoothness, control, braking and yes even acceleration. Maybe I'm just used to my new horsepower but I find it hard to believe that an M3 would be faster than my stock Cayman S was. Again, I'm not knocking the M3 I know many members here either have one or have had one, but for me there was just no comparison. (no his car was not an SMG car either, regular stick)

Viper - Round 2! One of the things you can see in one of the videos I have is a blue and white viper gts passing my car while it is being driven by our region vice president and club racer Greg. After Greg let him by Greg was sticking with him in the corners and giving up ground on the straights, then regaining some ground in some corners. This is against a fully race prepped and SCCA race car (I've got pictures) and a very good driver.

Time for some times!

The Viper was reportedly turning 1:53's to 1:55's

The C6 Z06 was turning 1:56-1:57

My car 1:58 to 2:00 solid, I still think my best was a 1:56 and change, even laps with traffic I was at 2:02 to 2:05 which is just oustanding.

Here's the kicker! There was a BMW Club Race today (a sprint) and the winning car was a full race BMW, the 2nd place car was a 944 race car driven by the guy who finished 2nd to me in our father's day autocross. Richard even congratulated me when he saw me and I congratulated him on his 2nd place in the race. Ready for the kicker yet? Chris our region Prez took my car out for the first time ever today and promptly beat Richard (who was on our tail a lot) for an entire run group. If my car had been entered in the BMW Club Race I could/would have finished 2nd!!! (The Viper or Z06 did not race although the Viper was supposed to have done so). Richard is a great guy and I wanted to talk to him afterwards but he left while I was out with another student, I found Greg and asked him but he said Richard had to take off back to KC. Geez I hope I'm not driving people off here! (I seriously doubt it, but I am anxious to hear what Richard thought of my car after following us around like that).

Well there were some other little items here and there but that's probably enough for now. Final note, my car now has just over 10,000 miles on it, mile #10,000 being turned on the track!

I am very anxious to instruct/coach those of you coming to Croctoberfest who are interested in learning to drive their cars on the track and I hope as many of you that can will make it out for the event!

Here's a pic to leave you with!

Silver C2S is in the background along with a white turbo driven by another instructor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You are my heroe! Great report.....what city is Croctoberfest in? Where can I get info to get some lessons here in my neck of the woods? ZONE 8.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i never been to track, so please excuse my ignorace. what does the blue tape for over the headlight? protection for the rocks? if so, why is there none on the bumper?

·
Administrator
34,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok first off thanks for all the nice replies, let me try to address the questions in order:

whitebluetoy - Croctoberfest is being held in Kansas City and Topeka (about an hour west) in October, there is a sticky topic with all the info. If I can drive to Portland, you can drive to KC, it will be a fun trip and days long remembered come on out!

gameson - My car has a complete clear bra (you don't see it do you?) /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/teeth_smile.gifbut right now doesn't have the clear protection over the lenses so I grabbed some blue tape to put some on only to find the roll was about empty so I just created fun pattern with it in the hopes that even though I couldn't cover the entire lights that maybe I'd get lucky and protect the right spots or create some airflow disturbance and keep stuff from banging my lights. Speaking of which if anyone knows which manufacturer has them available for the Cayman (Starshield doesn't) let me know so I can get a pair please.

mooty - Those are my BBS RS-GT wheels, same as Sleepless has but mine were painted black from wherever they originally came from. I bought them from an ex-member here who traded his Cayman for an Exige which leads me to my Exige story. BTW I am very happy with the wheels., 18' btw.

team526 - Yes the Exige was there and yes we pitted the Cayman against him and it wasn't even close. I don't think the Exige driver was very experienced but there was no problem matching him in the corners and when we hit the main straight we were much much faster. Cool looking little cars, just didn't get to see it being driven as hard as I think it could have been.

Any other questions let me know, I'm about to post up a bunch of photos!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ken:

How many total days of tracking experience do you have right now? I don't mean just with the Cayman, total. It would give everyone a yard stick to understand what it takes to be as good as you are I think.

·
Administrator
34,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FT,

I've been doing track events since 2002, but have done more this year in 2006 with the Cayman than in any other year prior. I've never kept track of the total and while seat time certainly helps I also think people vary as individuals and some have a knack for driving on the track and some don't. At some point I'd like to spend some time with Vic Elford or some other pro coach and see what my limits/capabilities are just to know. I don't have any illusions (or perhaps delusions) that I'm the next Schumacher, etc. but if I do have some natural skills at it, I would like to improve/hone them to get even more out of myself and the car.

The short answer is this. This past weekend I had a student in a mini cooper S that was being instructed by someone else on Saturday and he told me Sunday morning as he was handing her over to me (he had a clutch failure and needed to get back to Tulsa) that she was shy, timid, not overly smooth and was being passed by everyone in her run group. I see that as a challenge, did she have it in her to get past some of her fears, listen, execute, repeat and learn and most of all have fun. By the end of yesterday I would have signed her off to drive on her own had the event gone one more day. She was 30mph faster in some areas and she stuck with a M5 or M6 I can't remember which through the esses because we got her confidence up and that was 'her spot' on the track. She really started puting the pieces together and could tell when she was doing something right and when she was doing something wrong.

What I mean by all that is I think I could take anyone on this website and in one weekend improve their capabilities in driving their Cayman on the track and guarantee that they will have FUN doing it. If you are a 'natural' after one weekend you might well be surpassing me at the track, who knows. I know I still have areas to work on and more seat time will help with that.

20 years or 2 days of track experience can equate to the same thing given two different people depending upon their natural ability, learning styles, execution, etc.

My biggest fault is that I have to force myself to break through barriers or push myself to the next level. This is true on the track, playing football, or eradicating people on Xbox 360. I find that I reach a certain goal/plateau and I get comfortable at that spot. For example I reach a point where I can pick people off with headshots using only a pistol at maximum range in Perfect Dark Zero on the Xbox 360 and after a bit I get a little 'bored' with it, I've accomplished something but now that I have, well the challenge is gone. So I have to come up with a new challenge, maybe it is sniping someone while on the run, etc. etc. I find that I am that way at the track at times, if I feel real comfortable I might now even care if I am out on the track driving or letting someone else drive my car and watching them, it's all good. Then I'll come up with another goal for myself and go pursue that. I may be a strange dude, I don't know. /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

Does that answer your question???? Man I went off on a tangent there didn't I???

·
There is no substitute!
954 Posts
I noticed on the pics that there is a lot of dirt being kicked up by the rear wheel on the bottom side part of the rear fender. Did you consider havingthe 3M film installed in that area of the car/UserFiles/12-5-05 480.jpg

·
Administrator
34,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
F1 how do you know it isn't already there? /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gifclear bras get dirty too!

Actually there isn't one there, but if it was you wouldn't see it in these pics. I concur a good spot for it but I've got so many tiny nicks there now that it almost isn't worth trying to add it now...

·
There is no substitute!
954 Posts
I've had it installed at the time of the clear bra installation and I was a little hesitant/skeptical about the area being exposed, but seeing the pics (which are great) I'm happy I had it done.

·
Administrator
34,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BTW I found this on a Motor Trend site:

<span class="BodyFont">the porsche beats the corvette in giddy up but not by much, on the other hand the corvette beats it in the pricing game 45,000 to 89,000 but doesn't have the handling the porsche has. Here are some numbers

Corvette: 6.0 liter V8 400 bhp 400 lb.-ft of torque

Porsche: 3.8 liter 6 cylinder 355 bhp 295 lb.-ft of torque

Performance:

Corvette: 0-60 4.5 1/4 mile 12.9 @ 112 mph

Porsche: 0-60 4.4 1/4 mile 12.8 @ 110 mph

[/quote]

<span class="BodyFont">Given that I am able to keep up in the straights with either of those vehicles I would have to say that my Cayman is exhibiting very similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as those two.[/quote]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts