Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
It's not, it is a modified 3.8 x51 modified for the track and mated to a sequential shifter for the Alzen race team a few years ago at Nurburgring where it finished in the top 5 and then much like RacerX's car was buried so as not to embarass Porsche again. :) Actually the car was for sale last I saw on the Alzen site. I didn't watch the whole Z06 video, but interesting to see that a modified Z06 is no faster than a modified Cayman on the 'Ring. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe you are wrong K-Man.

The car has an RSR 3.6 engine at 520 bhp, actually it is a 911 RSR car, without restrictosr, in a Cayman. It is currently for sale and had finished 3rd in 2007, at its first race. They ask 200.000euro...

The third video is from another cayman, with sequential gearbox. It is Mspeed's Cayman. These are the only two caymans' with GT3 engine in Europe. Conversion price, only for the engine, more than 100.000euro

Check the following link :

In Car & On Board track videos

I know that it is mostly in greek, but see the pictures alzen had sent me (they are too big to upload them here) and I have another video posted there as well about the cayman.

This is what Alzen had sent me about their cayman (the black one). The Mspeed's one is even better with the sequential, but they cost too much money and there is no class to run them as they are not homologated.

"Hello Mr. Markoulakos,
Thank you for your email.

The price of the car without spare parts is 200.000,- Euro + 19% TAX.

The price for the optional spare parts: 35.000,- Euro + TAX.

During the 24 h race at the Nürburgring 2007 we reached the 4th position over all.

The engine type is RSR.

Best regards
Jürgen Alzen

Jürgen Alzen Motorsport
Gewerbepark 12
57518 Betzdorf
Tel: +49 (0) 2741 972397
Mobil: +49 (0) 171 6246271

Porsche Cayman built in 2007
Engine: RS-Tuning 3,9 litre, 535 hp
Clutch 4 disc sinter
Gearbox: 6 - speed manual (GETRAG)
Differential: RSR
Driveshafts: GKN motorsport
Rims: BBS 12 (front) + 12,5" (rear)
Electronic: BOSCH 4.4 + traction control, ABS 4- channel
Display: MOTEC
Fuel capacity: 2x a 60 litre

Optional spare parts for this car
4 Shocks (1 set)
2 rear wheel carrier
2 drive shafts (1 set, used)
12 BBS rims (3 sets)

1 rear bumper
1 front bumper with fender
2 doors
1 front screen used
1 set of shift cable
1 set of outer side panels
1 set of front holder (in front of the door)
1 set of water radiators
1 set of air funnel for water radiator"

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I really enjoyed the Cayman & Vette video and kept waiting for the sound of sheet metal/fiberglass bending as one the slower cars being passed move the wrong way. Praise to all of the drivers. The third video was also Great, There is one thing that is certain, you do not want to have an off at the ring!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got very curious! How did they fit the engine in Cayman. I wish there were engine bay pictures. Gt3 engine in a Cayman would be phenomenal :) Don't you think so Gentelmen? :gossip:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I believe you are wrong K-Man.

The car has an RSR 3.6 engine at 520 bhp, actually it is a 911 RSR car, without restrictosr, in a Cayman. It is currently for sale and had finished 3rd in 2007, at its first race. They ask 200.000euro...

The third video is from another cayman, with sequential gearbox. It is Mspeed's Cayman. These are the only two caymans' with GT3 engine in Europe. Conversion price, only for the engine, more than 100.000euro

Check the following link :

In Car & On Board track videos

I know that it is mostly in greek, but see the pictures alzen had sent me (they are too big to upload them here) and I have another video posted there as well about the cayman.

This is what Alzen had sent me about their cayman (the black one). The Mspeed's one is even better with the sequential, but they cost too much money and there is no class to run them as they are homologated.

"Hello Mr. Markoulakos,
Thank you for your email.

The price of the car without spare parts is 200.000,- Euro + 19% TAX.

The price for the optional spare parts: 35.000,- Euro + TAX.

During the 24 h race at the Nürburgring 2007 we reached the 4th position over all.

The engine type is RSR.

Best regards
Jürgen Alzen

Jürgen Alzen Motorsport
Gewerbepark 12
57518 Betzdorf
Tel: +49 (0) 2741 972397
Mobil: +49 (0) 171 6246271

Porsche Cayman built in 2007
Engine: RS-Tuning 3,9 litre, 535 hp
Clutch 4 disc sinter
Gearbox: 6 - speed manual (GETRAG)
Differential: RSR
Driveshafts: GKN motorsport
Rims: BBS 12 (front) + 12,5" (rear)
Electronic: BOSCH 4.4 + traction control, ABS 4- channel
Display: MOTEC
Fuel capacity: 2x a 60 litre

Optional spare parts for this car
4 Shocks (1 set)
2 rear wheel carrier
2 drive shafts (1 set, used)
12 BBS rims (3 sets)

1 rear bumper
1 front bumper with fender
2 doors
1 front screen used
1 set of shift cable
1 set of outer side panels
1 set of front holder (in front of the door)
1 set of water radiators
1 set of air funnel for water radiator"
Yep I was mixed up there for a second I was confusing the Alzen car configuration with the one of that car that finished 21st which still has a 3.4L motor with 3.8 X51 parts so they could stay in the under 3.5L class.

As for how Alzen got the cup car motor into a Cayman you'd have to ask them but I assume it was some custom adapter engineering, it has been done before, such as with a Boxster in Australia, but as I recall it costs that guy nearly $100K for the conversion, the engine alone being 1/2 of that.

Now the good news, in the future Porsche will be using one engine, not the 2 different ones it uses now which means at some point the future the GT3 version of that motor "should" be able to be installed into a Cayman without much modification. This asssumes, of course, that the Cayman will continue to use the flat-6 and not some turbo 4 from Audi or something... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts