Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Bad news with the Shelby- engine seized after just 1k miles. It's been in the shop for over 30 days so it's getting lemoned.
I'm on the Mustang G6 forum a lot since we have a S550 also and wondered when you first got the car how your luck might go with it.
I say that since there have been a fair number of GT350s with engine problems and I had a an instructor at Mid-OH this year that had one and was concerned about it since he had a friend that had a GT350 with 2 engine failures.
Likewise, there are a series of threads on that forum with engine issues affecting the 2018-19 GT models that had a revised motor with more HP and the same cylinder spray process that the GT350s had been using:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-gt-900-miles-getting-a-new-short-block.114677/#post-2416838

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry for the Mustang noob question, but is this with the flat plane engine? I don’t know much about Mustangs, but I do know that the sound of that engine makes me want one. Didn’t realize there was a problem with them as we don’t have many at all over here.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I am also a lover of the flat plane crank.....Ferrari-esque sound. Unfortunate but interesting issue with attrition of that engine design. Makes one appreciate, even more, what Porsche seems to be able to do with screaming RPM engines and longevity. I had a 2003 BMW M3 that was high revving (8200+) and they had a spate of spun bearings.........

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That’s a bummer. Any thoughts on what you’ll replace it with.
Nothing at this time. Put the money away instead for a GT3 down the road.

Sorry for the Mustang noob question, but is this with the flat plane engine? I don’t know much about Mustangs, but I do know that the sound of that engine makes me want one. Didn’t realize there was a problem with them as we don’t have many at all over here.
Yes, this one had the flat plane crank motor. I definitely will miss the sound of it.

Turns out one of the bearings seized to the crank. I got a chance to take a look at it torn apart at the dealership. I'm not sure of the cause, but I suspect oiling issues.

Reactions: Ukthunderace
21 - 24 of 24 Posts