Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the flames begin but I have had my CS for 9 months now and I cannot generate any feelings of loyalty to Porsche, nor do I feel passionate about the car. I will gladly state that it is the best driving car that I have ever driven, a lot of fun. It is obviously well-made. But I am already wondering if I want to do something else when the lease expires. I organized and attend a monthly cars and coffee of mostly Porsche owners; many have had Porsches for many, many years.
My dealer service department is no better or worse than my Chevrolet dealer. The buying experience is no different than any other car. I also confess to disliking Porsche's business model of grabbing your wallet when you want to add options to your car, but I guess the plus side of that is that you do not pay for options you do not want. Is my CS worth $81,000? I cannot come up with enough reasons why it is except that Porsche wants a label of exclusivity.
Do any of you harbor similar ambivalence to your Porsche or are you all passionate about owning one?

Larry

·
Registered
540 Posts
Maybe you like the hunt more than the feast. I love buying and selling cars:) you should try it. What cars have you owned prior to the CS? Try renting a Camaro and a Corvette that might help you love your Cayman more!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do any of you harbor similar ambivalence to your Porsche or are you all passionate about owning one?
I personally like any cars that interest me and couldn't care less about who makes them. Porsche has a great number of cars that interest me, but I like a lot of the low end sports cars (Miata, FR-S/BRZ, etc) as well as high end stuff that's out of my budget range.

I'd say follow you passion. I'm looking into building a kit car just for the experience.

I used to have an 'irrational' attachments to a car that I owned and loved, but after totaling that car at the track someone pointed out to me that... at the end of the day, these are massed produced items, and if you really want another one, you can get one that came off the assembly line that's pretty much identical to what you had. It did help me view cars more for what they are and that is a means to an end, and not necessarily a work of art that cannot be replaced.

But the Cayman is quite good, I don't envy you trying to find a more soulful car for the same money :p

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
No Porsche ambivalence here. I felt about my last BMW the way you do about your Porsche. Well, except that the BMW dealer service experience was akin to being blindfolded when I walked in the door, then having my pants pulled down while someone ran random charges on my credit card for work badly performed by what must surely have been a gang of drunken baboons in the back shop.

Other people seem to like BMW. So, clearly, what works for some doesn't work for others. Although if you can't work up any enthusiasm for "the best driving car you have ever driven" I can't imagine what vehicle or brand would awaken your passion.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
No one is going to flame spray you in here. We are all different and most of us respect that. :cheers:

I have found that my passion and excitement about this car has only increased and matured. It's no longer just about the car but I also fell in love with the community. I had predicted that after my European Delivery (and believe me I was totally giddy during that trip) that my passion would fade, I would be off P-9 and moved on to something else to occupy some other obsession.

Instead (and nearly 2 years later), I do rediculous things like changing my garage door passcode to 0981. I literally get goose bumps when I start the engine in my garage while sitting in a beautiful well crafted interior being intoxicated by the smell of leather.

Last weekend, I drove several hundred miles in the PA countryside...no where to go....just to listen to PSE while trying to beat my personal best on the G force meter. Found a gorgeous red 993 that I caught up too and we proceeded to chase each other through the rolling landscape screaming our engines and taking the turns as hard as we could....wife filming the whole thing with her iphone while she scolded me for not bringing my GoPro again. As we parted ways, we gave each other the Porsche wave. That's cool....really cool. In one weekend, I counted about 10 thumbs ups, cool car comments, 4 Porsche waves, one Porsche flash of the head lights and 216,000 of my heart beats (give or take a few after some of those turns :)) . The car and the community just rocks!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
The car and the community just rocks!
^^^^

... when the lease expires
^^^^

This. My guess is that since you only rent your car, and have no equity or vested interest in it, then its just a toaster. Many people own toasters. They come in all kinds of shapes, colors, sizes, etc.

Sub got it right. Somewhere else, Mooty said it best. Porsche ownership is a cult. You either get it or don't. It's OK not to get it. I am going to guess that since you rent the car, its probably means little to you. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subshooter, thanks. It is good to know that it can grow on you. I am taking another back road trip next week and that does get the heart pumping. I am almost embarrassed to admit that what I miss is the noise of a V-8 and the seat pinning acceleration of a supercharger. Though the growl of that flat 6 with the revs up is indeed sweet.
Larry

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I hated Porsches before, until I drove my uncle's 964. It felt so good driving it, the way it shifts, the clutch, the handling. It felt like a proper sports car. I didn't want to hand the keys back. Got back home and started dreaming about the 997. I love my 997 but wish it handles like a 981, can't complain too much with 10 year old technology, still drives and handles very well. There isn't a sports car I rather own right now, not a ferrari, not a lambo, not an Aston, not a C7 Z06.

My dealer experience has been very different than yours and I didn't even buy both of my Porsche's at the local dealership. I have been invited to launch parties where I can signed up for two day test drives. I did for both the 981 Boxster and Cayman but did not signed up for the Jaguar F-type. I've been invited to autocross and road course track days. Definitely a lot more perks than when I brought my Mercedes and BMW's, didn't get anything from them. I get gifts and brochures from time to time from PCNA. I don't like Porsche's marketing either, there are like 50 variations of the 911, almost every model has a GT this and that, GTS uses to mean something special, now it means nothing to me. I hate that Porsche makes SUVs and ugly family sedans but do understand it's a busy and they do what they have to, to make a profit. If Mercedes and or BMW makes anything as fun, I would go in a heartbeat but as of now. I love owning my Porsches.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did consider that leasing might affect my attitude as this is my first lease. I leased for many reasons, but mostly because I wanted to enjoy a car without feeling a compulsion to modify it and then have to sell it. I am hoping that leasing gives me more freedom to decide whether I can just enjoy it!
Larry

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm certainly less passionate about cars than I was when I was a kid, when just the anticipation of seeing "next year's model" unveiled was almost unbearable. I'm older now and, while I haven't lost my appreciation of cars, I must admit I'm no longer the "boy racer" I used to be.

Still, every time I look at my 981 I marvel at its nearly perfect lines. Driving the car, I can't help but being impressed with the steering, braking, ride quality and handling, and all the little things that go into making the car feel right. I guess that's more admiration and respect than passion, but that's okay too.

Realizing that I might be losing that edge I once had, I have booked my first PCA HPDE event for this weekend. A couple of days on a track with an instructor might be just the thing to re-ignite those simmering embers of car passion again. Regardless, I wouldn't get rid of my Porsche simply because there's nothing out there right now that I'd rather own.

My own feelings, passionate or not, are best summed up by a remark I made to my wife as we were tooling around aimlessly the other day; "You know, this is the best car I've ever owned." (And I've owned a lot of cars over the years!)

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
My dealer service department is no better or worse than my Chevrolet dealer.

WOW That certainly isn't the case in my neck of woods, not by a long shot. As a matter of fact the service experience is the sole reason that I don't own a C7 Z06.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fast1, when I had a Corvette I was treated like royalty at the Chevrolet dealer. But I found that they treat everyone well, Corvettes are just more fun to talk about than Sonics. They still treat me like royalty with my truck. My Porsche dealer is also a Mercedes dealer and my one experience was like taking a number at the deli counter.
Larry

·
Registered
277 Posts
These threads always make me wonder how much research / test driving the OP did before purchase.

I bought exactly what I wanted and the car has performed just as advertised.......even without a supercharger ;]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I did a lot of research, as much as I have ever done. I also test drove and loved it. I am simply saying that 9 months later, I love driving the car; it is the best handling car in my price range. It is fun! But, I don't have a smile, ear-to-ear, when I look at it in my garage. I once had a car that gave me that smile. This one did at first, but upon reflection it does not.
Larry

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
What kind of phone are you using? What watch are you wearing?

Let the flames begin but I have had my CS for 9 months now and I cannot generate any feelings of loyalty to Porsche, nor do I feel passionate about the car. I will gladly state that it is the best driving car that I have ever driven, a lot of fun. It is obviously well-made. But I am already wondering if I want to do something else when the lease expires. I organized and attend a monthly cars and coffee of mostly Porsche owners; many have had Porsches for many, many years.
My dealer service department is no better or worse than my Chevrolet dealer. The buying experience is no different than any other car. I also confess to disliking Porsche's business model of grabbing your wallet when you want to add options to your car, but I guess the plus side of that is that you do not pay for options you do not want. Is my CS worth $81,000? I cannot come up with enough reasons why it is except that Porsche wants a label of exclusivity.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Who leases their toaster?
Lots of people lease toasters. In fact, I'd guess about all of them. Toss it out, rent a new one in two or three years. They come in all colors, shapes, and sizes ;)

OP, you should look at this. If when you look at your car, you don't think "Hello gorgeous" or just tell your better half your going driving just to drive as in the commercial (just like Sub said he was going to drive, just to drive), then I agree, you don't have the passion. That's OK, everyone is different. Just move on an get another car.

Every time, and I mean every time, I look at my car, I can't believe I own it. After driving it, my wife comes home smiling, and what can be better than that? If you don't feel that, then you are right. You've lost the passion.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's just a car - not sure how much scope there is really for feeling passion for any car.

As to the brand - the dealership experience is certainly not what I expected in terms of both sales and service, at least in the Bay Area. I very much dread it every time I have to deal with them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Fast1, when I had a Corvette I was treated like royalty at the Chevrolet dealer. But I found that they treat everyone well, Corvettes are just more fun to talk about than Sonics. They still treat me like royalty with my truck. My Porsche dealer is also a Mercedes dealer and my one experience was like taking a number at the deli counter.
Larry
Now that is bizarre. I would have expected the opposite experience at these two dealerships.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lots of people desired Porsches as kids - posters on the wall, masturb...(never mind), that feeds the passion if and when they do get an opportunity to actually buy one. It is an attainable goal vs something like a Ferrari or Lambo, exotic.
Personally, I never lusted after a Porsche. Did I appreciate the sexy styling and air of exclusivity = yes. When it came time to purchase, I researched extensively and started to 'get it'. Never understood how well made they were or the history, simply thought they charged a shitload for the name but were no better than anything else comprable. After driving for a few years, I get it. They have a personality all their own. As you mentioned "the best driving car I have ever owned". If that is important to you, then it is a great start. Personally, I care nothing for the 'dealer experience' and I don't care about their business model. I have x to spend - where do I want to put my money?

Would you feel differently if they charged $80k for the car and +$20k for options vs $65k for the car and $35k for options?

As for the Porsche fans, yes they are passionate and I have found very friendly - not snobby at all. Majority are a bit older. The ones who grew up with older models seem to be a bit more technical / bits and bytes vs newer entries who just like the ride. Either way - good people who typically do things like weekend drives, AutoX, track days...leads to good stories, hearing about their passion. I don;t know that this comes with the Subaru, Mazda crowds.

Hope you find your passion...if not here - then elsewhere.

Reactions: jtucker and DFW
1 - 20 of 102 Posts