Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started using an i-car soft, mainly to reset maintenance reminders on my 981 Boxster. I also recently flushed the brake fluid and now see i-car soft offers something regarding a brake flush. What does it do for me relative to a brake flush? Thanks. -Ken

·
Administrator
1,827 Posts
It allows activating the ABS/PSM modulator for each wheel circuit so the fluid and air can be pushed out of the modulator and replaced with nice fresh fluid.

Reactions: Boristhespyder

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
922 Posts
Thank you Don. So I was supposed to use it while I was flushing the system :confused:. Maybe next time...

I do appreciate your response.
The Service Manual indicates you only need to do that when you replace the ABS module. You do not need to do it in the course of a normal flush, though of course, it won't hurt.

·
Administrator
1,827 Posts
The Service Manual indicates you only need to do that when you replace the ABS module. You do not need to do it in the course of a normal flush, though of course, it won't hurt.
As you say - it won't hurt. In this case I disagree with the manual. That might be an OK attitude to take IF you know every time the fluid was flushed it was done right and no air was introduced into the system. Buying one of these cars used you have no way to actually know that.

My car - bought used - was maintained by the owner's son, who was a tech at a nearby Porsche dealership. I have to assume that at some point he flushed the system, and I have records from earlier owners (I'm number 3) that they had the dealer do it.

When I did the flush, I was operating the electronics to trigger the ABS/PSM modulator. My mechanic friend was doing the wheel cylinders. We had a pressurized hookup to the master cylinder so we didn't have to touch that. He basically went around the car and did first one bleeder on each cylinder, then as he was doing the 2nd bleeder he'd yell out to me to activate the modulator. He called out a "wow" "that's quite a bit of air that came out.." on the first cylinder and he said all 4 circuits had some air in them.

The brake pedal was and has remained significantly firmer since then.. a much better feel than my '11 Cayenne where I've had the dealer do the flushes (and they probably didn't activate the modulator since the book tells them not to bother.)

That's my experience. Entirely anecdotal - but I don't think the manual takes into account possible problems that could end up with air trapped in the modulator, so my suggestion to anyone doing a flush it - activate the modulator for each wheel circuit.

As usual - YMMV. It's your car - do with it what you want. Next time the Cayenne is due - it's getting the full treatment, modulator activation and all..

Reactions: Mitchman
1 - 6 of 6 Posts