Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed an 1100 mile trip in my CS, mostly on back roads. The mapping and the algorithm for routing is the best I have ever used on an OEM NAV system. The satellite view is very handy when at 0.5 mile or greater scale and the system did not take long to find the best routing on good roads. It never put me on a dirt road and never had me make a wrong turn. I was impressed when compared with some other systems. I admit, the system is not as intuitive as it could be but for simple destination and route selection it is user friendly.
Larry

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2013 Cayenne and 2014 Boxster. Nav on both and system is OK if you have the address including zip but database is very small so if you enter a name it most likely won't come up. On any trip I take my hand held Garmin, it is much better. Not worth the money.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I use them, but Nav systems still feel like cheating to me. For most of my life it was reading and memorizing a map, or just keeping track of which way you were pointed. That's how real men did it. But now, I'm happy to use the Nav :helpme:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Once I came here and asked about it and was told how to change the zoom level, I started liking mine a lot more. :D

Some things aren't terribly intuitive... but I expect that with any OEM "roll your own" system. I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't just use a TomTom or Garmin system as OEM. I mean... those guys have this stuff figured out.

My current issue is figuring out how to control the nav voice volume. And the parking sensor alarm volume for that matter. :D I'm sure I knew how to do these things at some point, but having to figure them out again every time because they're not obvious is a little annoying.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just turn the volume control while it is talking to you. I do agree that Garmin is the most intuitive of the many Nav systems I have used and it would have been nice for Garmin to have been standardized in cars. I guess when Android and iOS are fully integrated, built-in Nav may be a dinosaur.
Larry

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Just turn the volume control while it is talking to you. I do agree that Garmin is the most intuitive of the many Nav systems I have used and it would have been nice for Garmin to have been standardized in cars. I guess when Android and iOS are fully integrated, built-in Nav may be a dinosaur.
Larry
Is there a "repeat last instruction" option or something to get her to talk so I can adjust it? I mean... I probably want to adjust it because I couldn't hear what she just said, so this is probably useful on both counts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use them, but Nav systems still feel like cheating to me. For most of my life it was reading and memorizing a map, or just keeping track of which way you were pointed. That's how real men did it. But now, I'm happy to use the Nav :helpme:
OK, that made me laugh. This past summer my best friend growing up flew down to Fl from NH, and rode back to NH with me, while we did an extended Civil War battlefield tour. Technology has passed him by to the point he doesn't even know how to turn on a computer. He knew how real men navigated, and spent the trip complaining about not having an atlas to use, as he was convinced the NAV was not sending us to the right place. lol.gif

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also feel the NAV system on my 2015 981 is the best I have had in a car. I have a Garmin, but don't use it in the Porsche because the built in NAV is so good.........When we travel, we always take a AAA map with us. Sometimes it is just nice to look at the overview of the route, and take some of the back roads just for fun! (Retro-Techno)!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I also feel the NAV system on my 2015 981 is the best I have had in a car. I have a Garmin, but don't use it in the Porsche because the built in NAV is so good.........When we travel, we always take a AAA map with us. Sometimes it is just nice to look at the overview of the route, and take some of the back roads just for fun! (Retro-Techno)!

I'm a firm believer in the whole back roads thing. That's how I get lost, find my way out and somewhere along the way, find that old ma and pa breakfast place that's pure awesome. That place won't be on any Yelp review (thank jeebus) and their CC machine may or may not work. That's how I like to drive anyway. Not worry about getting some place soon. Just drive. You never know where you may find the best waffles. Ever. Or the second best thing: a deserted curve that says 30MPH - you can see around the curve, you smile, downshift and hear the roar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2014 CS probably needs a map update. How does Porsche handle that? I got 3 years of free map updates on a Mazda CX-5 I bought as a daily driver, but knowing Porsche, they are going to want to get their hand in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I looked into map updates online, but couldn't find anything. I was told you can download a cd image and use that.

Dealers wants big money to do it and says it's possible you won't even notice any changes.

i think the biggest draw back of the system is learning to use it. After you get the hang of it, it's actually really good. I like how I can customize routes so I'm not going down the same roads or parts of the interstate. Calculate the route, the go to info, route list, and detour any road that you know you don't want to take (for whatever reason). yGoggle will calculate a faster route, but the nav system will calculate one I want it prefer to take...don't care about the 1-2 mins I lose taking the route.

Since I got an update a while back to pcm (and aha), the online poi Google search is excellent. In fact, it takes me to stores closer and google maps on my iPhone doesn't seem to think so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts