Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I'm back out to the track this Wednesday and I'm actually more excited about this one than I have been in a long time.

And I'm ALWAYS excited to go. :)

In this case, I'm going out with the same non-PCA group I went with in October last year. As it's open to all makes and models, I'm also bringing along 3 friends who have never been on a track before. I'm really hoping they have as good a time as I always do and am looking forward to seeing their reactions to driving on a race track.

They're obviously all car enthusiasts so I expect it's going to be a great day!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Here's some video of a couple laps from last week's outing. I did some new personal best lap times, running between 1:31 and 1:33 all day long.

The new guys mostly had a great time, but one had his throttle body crap out and sideline him for the rest of the day after the first session. It was just a sad and random part failure that sent the car into limp mode and ruined any chance of getting back on track for the rest of the day. At least he got a full session in before it died.

My friend from Baltimore that made the trip up just for this with his C7 Corvette had the time of his life. It appears he was the fastest driver in the Beginner group and he's already looking forward to coming back next year.

It feels pretty good to introduce new people to the sport and get the impression they're having as much fun as I do. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiChBMU3pAg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice video, car sounds great.

Where is all the traffic?? 2+ laps with only one pass required?? It looks like a private DE and looks very, very enjoyable!

·
Registered
361 Posts
How much faster is the GT3 compared to the old car?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Nice video, car sounds great.

Where is all the traffic?? 2+ laps with only one pass required?? It looks like a private DE and looks very, very enjoyable!
The whole event was pretty great with respect to the traffic. It was so much better than the PCA events I've been to this year that I'm seriously considering whether to drop more of the PCA weekends and pick up more of these other events. The people I know at the PCA events make me want to keep going but the traffic is getting to be so bad that I went the entire weekend last time out without getting a single clean laps in. I understand that they want to make it accessible to everyone, but there just might be too many cars now.

If they ever move me up to the Black group, I might change my mind. For the most part, running in this Advanced group, even when I came up behind people they did a great job of not holding me up.

I've got other video with much more passing in it. I picked those two laps to post specifically because they were pretty clean, and because the commentary was amusing.

How much faster is the GT3 compared to the old car?
The difference is dramatic. :) I imagine a big part of it is the tires, being both wider and stickier, but the overall package is just phenomenal. I'm still learning about what it can do but there's been times where I just can't believe what I can get out of it, and then it just gives me a little more. The power difference is obvious, so I'm easily 16 mph faster at the end of the back straight lap after lap than I was in the Boxster.

The handling and control is also far more predictable than you might expect from a "hard core track machine". I've had the back end try to get out of line a few times in ways the Boxster never did but it never just snaps around. It just sort of starts going off in it's own direction but lets you reign it in pretty easily. Here's an example of getting too hot into Turn 5 but then just chasing it out and then driving the long way around.

It really is an absolute joy to drive on the track!!

Finally, just for fun, here I am re-configuring turn 2 to give more room to everyone at the exit.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Not my first DE, but my first time at NCM with the Cayman. The little 2.7 was feisty enough to embarrass some much bigger cars. Had a blast!
If I'm completely honest... this is one aspect of the Boxster that I miss a little on the track. The GT3 is stupidly fast around corners, and everyone knows it. So even though there are cars out there with more power, nobody is surprised when I'm fast enough overall to catch and pass them.

With the Boxster, it was far more satisfying to catch and pass cars that were obviously faster. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I'm completely honest... this is one aspect of the Boxster that I miss a little on the track. The GT3 is stupidly fast around corners, and everyone knows it. So even though there are cars out there with more power, nobody is surprised when I'm fast enough overall to catch and pass them.
So something like this?

I'm probably not invited to the PCA Gala now. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
So something like this?

I'm probably not invited to the PCA Gala now. :laugh:
EXACTLY like that!! :D

You can tell neither one of them wanted to concede that you were faster. The silver one let the white one by right away but then held you up for a while. The speed that you caught back up to the white one shows how much faster you were and they STILL held you up a while before finally letting you by.

I know it's not a race, but I find those moments IMMENSELY satisfying so long as you get the impression the guy in front is really trying to drive away and not just neglecting to check their mirrors and straight-up holding you up.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
You ask. I deliver. :D Here's every single pass I was involved in all day long.

I was actually a bit annoyed by the M1. I mean... it was awesome to see it out there on the track... but I really wanted to play with the Viper and AMG GT that went by me before we all came up on the M1. The GT actually offered up a pass that I didn't take because I wanted to just follow them for a while. Then we got to the M1 and it let them both by and held me up for over a lap.

Looking at my footage, I stayed ahead of the Viper and GT for quite a while before getting loose in turn 4 and then letting them both by. I then kept up until I got taken out of the game by the M1.

As those were the only two cars that were running a similar pace all day, I REALLY wanted to run with them to see whether I could keep up.

It's worth noting that the Radical that I pass early on in the video was definitely faster than me throughout the day. I made a point on at least two sessions of going out behind him rather than holding him up so he never came up behind me for a pass. I expect in the first session he was still feeling out the car when I got by him.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Getting ready for what's probably going to be my last outing this year. I expect this will do away with what's left of my rear tires. The fronts were replaced (not yet worn out) due to a puncture before the last event so they're good.

My wife acts as my pit crew, holding the brake and steering wheel while swapping the front wheels. I do a rotation between each event to keep the wear even. This is a lesson I learned after wearing the front left tire to the cords on the Boxster while the right was perfectly serviceable.

I gotta give HUGE props to the guys at JackPoint. This was my first time using them and they made the job WAY easier, nevermind the obvious safety aspect. Previously, I'd have to jack up each side from the back, place a jack stand at the front, and then set it back down. Then I had to use two jacks to hold up the back while swapping the back wheels around.

With these... I lift from the back, place the front jack stand, and set the back down on the JackPoint stand. Repeat on the other side. It's WAY better!

PitCrew.jpg

·
Registered
372 Posts
The whole event was pretty great with respect to the traffic. It was so much better than the PCA events I've been to this year that I'm seriously considering whether to drop more of the PCA weekends and pick up more of these other events. The people I know at the PCA events make me want to keep going but the traffic is getting to be so bad that I went the entire weekend last time out without getting a single clean laps in. I understand that they want to make it accessible to everyone, but there just might be too many cars now.
I don't remember if I mentioned it in this thread or another, but a couple of our local PCA regions (I'm in Maverick - North Texas) started gridding us fast/faster/fastest and spacing us at the start for the advanced run groups. You self-select your relative speed subgroup within the run group. It has really helped with traffic. After the initial sorting in your subgroup, you get a good number of laps without traffic on a 3.1-mile track.

You should mention it to your DE chair, as I think most people are open to trying things to improve the experience.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
We run on a 2.4 mile track and there are a LOT of cars out there. Even if I'm first on the grid, I catch traffic on my first flying lap. There's no getting around that. We just need people to be aware and give early pass signals so you can fly by without delay. This is usually a disaster in the first session but seems ok after the 4th or 5th.

That said... I'm done with giving any suggestions on how we might improve things. I've apparently been flagged as a bit of an asshole on the track. I mean... nobody has ever come to me to complain about my driving and I've had a lot of fun playing with friends on the track, but having opinions has not earned me any favours with the folks in charge.

Going forward I'll just keep my trap shut and hope for the best. :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Open passing in yellow and white with a point by solves a lot of problems. A pass is expected at the first safe opportunity and not somewhere down the road at a traditional passing spot when the slow car cares to let you by. If people are tired of getting run over then they need to move to a slower run group. This type of passing is working well for us here in Texas at COTA and MSR Cresson in Dallas. Its keeps people on their toes and teaches them to work better with traffic.

Ledbette, you were cooking on the 1.3 this last weekend, and were definitely taking advantage of the open passing. Nice job!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
If I'm honest... in our region... I'd never suggest open passing to any less than the Black (advanced) group.

Then again... if they allowed it... it might all work out swimmingly. I honestly have no idea.

They should try it in the Black group and see how it goes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Open passing in yellow and white with a point by solves a lot of problems. A pass is expected at the first safe opportunity and not somewhere down the road at a traditional passing spot when the slow car cares to let you by. If people are tired of getting run over then they need to move to a slower run group. This type of passing is working well for us here in Texas at COTA and MSR Cresson in Dallas. Its keeps people on their toes and teaches them to work better with traffic.

Ledbette, you were cooking on the 1.3 this last weekend, and were definitely taking advantage of the open passing. Nice job!
Thanks for the compliment. I might have been the only one with enough confidence to push it a bit on a damp track. That (over) confidence caused me to do a little off-roading, but luckily Cresson has plenty grass run-off where you need it and there's a DIY car wash by my house to rinse off the mud.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I haven't had much to say here this year as it's been sort of "business as usual" on the track. Still having a blast and always looking forward to the next one.

I had quite an experience at my last one a few weeks ago though. My car broke mid corner in turn 9 as I tried to shift from 4th to 3rd. It just died. I coasted through turns 9, 10, 1, and up the hill to 2 before coming to a stop by a flag station. If I was so inclined, I think I could have made it all the way to 6. :)

Trying to figure out why your car turned off and sending traffic by en masse while trying to get it restarted isn't something they teach you. I'm happy to say it all worked out well, the car is being fixed, and I should have it back next week sometime. :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I haven't had much to say here this year as it's been sort of "business as usual" on the track. Still having a blast and always looking forward to the next one.

I had quite an experience at my last one a few weeks ago though. My car broke mid corner in turn 9 as I tried to shift from 4th to 3rd. It just died. I coasted through turns 9, 10, 1, and up the hill to 2 before coming to a stop by a flag station. If I was so inclined, I think I could have made it all the way to 6. :)

Trying to figure out why your car turned off and sending traffic by en masse while trying to get it restarted isn't something they teach you. I'm happy to say it all worked out well, the car is being fixed, and I should have it back next week sometime. :)
Wow. Let us know what the problem turned out to be. I am on a waiting list for the 992 GT3 whenever it comes out. I plan on tracking the snot out of it.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts