Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Cayman S for 8 months now and love it. But I crave a little more power, so I went to take a close look at the 911last weekend and I couldn't force myself to do it, simply because:

- The Cayman looks more dynamic (the 911 is boring looking side on)

- The view from the cockpit of the Cayman cannot be beaten (large hump in the rear view vs. relatively flat rear quarter on the 911. The wings (fenders) also rise higher in the Cayman)

- The engine noise is much more raw in the Cayman (even the Porsche dealer said 'you have the best car in the range')

- CS drives better

The only 911 I'd but would be a GT3.

So. My question to the panel is when will the Cayman get a power boost? I reckon if you look at what has happened to the Boxster over the last 10 years the Cayman is bound to get a boost. How long was it from launch that the Boxster got it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
My guess would be in 2009 or 2010 - it would probably be a very minor bump though. As aftermarket products become more available we'll have a better idea of what the 3.4 is capable of.

·
Registered
94 Posts
-' The engine noise is much more raw in the Cayman (even the Porsche dealer said 'you have the best car in the range'-freestyle

I dont think so!!!! b/w the cayman s and the 911 series. 911 has a deeper sound (grunt). Porsche has worked on the cayman s, such that it sounds like the Porsches always did, thats the 911.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In the UK, the insurance sky rockets when you modify the engine of your car. Maybe this is not the case in the US because you guys are making so many mods to your cars.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In the UK, the insurance sky rockets when you modify the engine of your car. Maybe this is not the case in the US because you guys are making so many mods to your cars.

Unless you want your mods covered (which many insurance companies do not do), there is no reason to report the mods.

Most cases, the mods do not count against you. In my last insurance claim my company actually covered 50% of the damaged modifications, and I never told them they were on the car before the claim.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Freestyle,

If you trade your CS in on even a base 997 the difference between the original stickers plus depreciation would pay for a 3.8 liter upgrade from Neil Orton or one of the other shops who have done the swap. The question would then be what is a 3.8 modded Cayman going to be worth in a couple of years. In that regard I understand your wanting to wait for Porsche toput the car out as a stock edition.

Dave

·
Registered
304 Posts
Poindexter,if we in the UK do not report ANY mods to the insurance company,then we are driving uninsured.For example my car came with carerra s wheels,If was to purchase a set of 18' cayman s wheels an put them on my car I would no longer be insured if I had failed to inform my insurance company. J

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Last weekend my friend had his boss' brand new 911 Carrera with only 2000 miles on it. I drove iton the freeway, city streets and winding back roads. He drove my Cayman S on the same route. We both concluded that the Cayman S is a much better daily driver, has a better sound, handles better, looks better and for the money is the best value in the Porsche lineup. The only advantage wegave to the 911 was that it is more powerful,especially at the initial acceleration. He climbed into the back seat and he's not a big guy. The back seat is for storage only! He needed a massage after riding back there for 10 minutes. Bottom line is that I'm happy with my purchase of the Cayman S and my friend is no longer considering the 911.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last weekend my friend had his boss' brand new 911 Carrera with only 2000 miles on it. I drove iton the freeway, city streets and winding back roads. He drove my Cayman S on the same route. We both concluded that the Cayman S is a much better daily driver, has a better sound, handles better, looks better and for the money is the best value in the Porsche lineup. The only advantage wegave to the 911 was that it is more powerful,especially at the initial acceleration. He climbed into the back seat and he's not a big guy. The back seat is for storage only! He needed a massage after riding back there for 10 minutes. Bottom line is that I'm happy with my purchase of the Cayman S and my friend is no longer considering the 911.

Yeah - exactly why I want to go Cayman S all the way and desperate to see a Cayman RS or the like!

Re. 911 sounding better (some other comment) - I agree it does from the outside, but not from the inside, no way. You can't here the induction in the 911.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Poindexter,if we in the UK do not report ANY mods to the insurance company,then we are driving uninsured.For example my car came with carerra s wheels,If was to purchase a set of 18' cayman s wheels an put them on my car I would no longer be insured if I had failed to inform my insurance company. J

See! American Lawyers are good for something /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Freestyle,

Tough to be your insurance quandry. I hadn't considered it in my previous post. Hopefully Porsche will make you wishes come true soon.

Dave

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I enjoy the sound, the acceleration around sharp corners and the occasional sprint to 100 mph or so. That's enough for me.

Will the 25 bhp be somthing you can honestly feel from the seat of your pants on the street?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I enjoy the sound, the acceleration around sharp corners and the occasional sprint to 100 mph or so. That's enough for me. Will the 25 bhp be somthing you can honestly feel from the seat of your pants on the street?

Not sure its the 25bhp, maybe its the torque curve or the gearing, but I found there to be a significant difference between a stock 987 CS and 997 C2 in the acceleration coming out of sharp corners and the start of the sprint to 100mph.

Still thought the Cayman was the better car though! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/twocents.gif

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Freestyle,

I sure do agree with your observations, and would love to have some more punch with my CS. I would opt for the upgrades, but mine is leased asI thought I would want a new one in a few years. I guess we just have to wait a bit and see what happens.

Russ

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />
I enjoy the sound, the acceleration around sharp corners and the occasional sprint to 100 mph or so. That's enough for me. Will the 25 bhp be somthing you can honestly feel from the seat of your pants on the street? <hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />

Not sure its the 25bhp, maybe its the torque curve or the gearing, but I found there to be a significant difference between a stock 987 CS and 997 C2 in the acceleration coming out of sharp corners and the start of the sprint to 100mph.

Still thought the Cayman was the better car though! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/twocents.gif

I'm pretty sure it's the gearing. I believe the 911 has a shorter 1st and 2nd gear. The only article i've read between the two the cars evened out above 60 with the 911 being about 3 tenths quicker.
</blockquote>

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree... bump for 2008 MY to ~320 HP. Not based on any BS rumor, but simply on market trends and upcoming competition... what drives sales to begin with. The Cayman S isn't exactly flying off the shelves for sticker like anticipated, and the winter months (bad for sports car sales) are coming up. I don't think Porsche can wait until 2009 to justify their current price point without a boost.

Also, re: acceleration... I think the main difference is in gearing... the Cayman is a little tall... I think one more way Porsche deflated the acceleration, and also upped the fuel economy. Sure, the 911 makes more power, but also weighs more... so all that power doesn't necessarily translate.

In one fail swoop, swapping out the Cayman rear end for lower gearing and an LSD... THAT would be the best bang-for-the-buck performance mod if the parts cost were reasonableIMO. Don't underestimate proper gearing... it could easily make moredifference than 30 hp.

Edited by - trebien on 08/15/2006 10:41:56 PM

·
Registered
616 Posts
The funny thing about porsche is when they inc. the bhp of their model, they also improve the car's handling and refinement as well! This is why it is hard to tell the difference between a 260bhp boxster s and a 280bhp boxster s from the driving seat. Another problem is the weight of the car is increasing with each model change which negate the power increase. I really hope Porsche use more aluminium then simply bumping up the bhp!!!

The cayman s is deceptively quick! 100mph can sometimes feel like 80mph. Unlike the Lotus exige 100mph feel like 120mph!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts