Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out the front vents on my Cayman R yesterday and I pulled a piece of blacktop out about the size of a hockey puck. I am very surprised that my radiator did not get dented or ruined. I have had leaves and twigs in there before but nothing this extreme. I should have taken a picture. HAa anyone else found anything unusual in their front vents other than twigs and leaves just curious?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Time to go to Home Depot to get some gutter mesh and tin snips. I used a manila file-folder to make a crude template for a test fitting - then snipped away. Attached with cable ties. Been working fine for four years. The galvanized metal has aged to almost black - so it looks fine. I'd always wished I'd sprayed the mesh flat black before installing - now it isn't necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Isn't there someone who sells custom-fitted mesh pieces for the front intakes?

The search button is your friend...

John

·
Registered
259 Posts
Isn't there someone who sells custom-fitted mesh pieces for the front intakes?

The search button is your friend...

John
Porschemesh.com

Be advised though with all mesh, you are by definition limiting airflow (at least some) to the radiators. There's lots of debate how much flow reduction occurs exactly, but I had overheating issues (July at Watkins Glen) with mesh, and after removing have not had a problem since. I also added the third radiator kit at the time, which was likely a bigger contributor to solving the problem. Others have claimed that just removing the mesh alone solved their temp issues. If you're street driving only, this wouldn't be a concern anyway... but if you track in the summer, something to consider.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Did you say that you removed the mesh grilles and added the 3rd radiator in combination? Just curious, if true, then how much were the grille guards root cause. Not trying to defend or nit-pick, just curious as the grille guards impact seem different than what I have read as input by others in the past. Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
$1.99 plus a few cable ties: (black spray paint optional)
View attachment 52811 :dance: View attachment 52810
I did the same and painted mine black. They look great and are easy to make as described above by RSchwerer . I have not personally had any overheating issues on the street. I did have a slight rise in temps on very hot days at WGI with my 987.2. I also added the Suncoast third radiator kit as a general precaution.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did you say that you removed the mesh grilles and added the 3rd radiator in combination? Just curious, if true, then how much were the grille guards root cause. Not trying to defend or nit-pick, just curious as the grille guards impact seem different than what I have read as input by others in the past. Thanks.
Yes - my personal experience was changing both variables at once (3rd radiator and removal of mesh). So yes, I agree either (or a combination of both) could be credited with solving the problem. The 3rd radiator probably was the major contributor. However, a friend with a croc has had similar issues (overheating, going into limp mode, etc.), already had the third radiator (his car was PDK), and after removing mesh his temp issues were gone.

Point is, not all mesh is the same. Standard gutter mesh may be more restrictive to flow, then other types of mesh...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found a huge pile of debris from small to large rocks, leaves, and a cigarette butt. I was able to stick a vacuum hose in there to clean it out. I was thinking about purchasing a Zunsport mesh grill but for $200-$300, I decided to sleep on it. (I had some questions about the installation and contracted Zunsport about it, they were nice and even gave me a promo code for 15%; if you want it let me know). According to the video it looks good quality and workmanship, but I couldn't pull the trigger at the high price.

However, when I saw a video of someone with a 911 making his own mesh, I decided to do the same.

I bought from home depot a gutter mesh guard (galvanized steel), black 4 inch zipties, and a spray can of black Plasti Dip, all for $11 with tax and made my own. It took awhile, because the hard part was trying to get the pattern made. It takes some trial and error as I didn't have the template for the grills, had to use a cardboard to get the shape and then traced it over the mesh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found dead bird wedged against my radiator - bought and installed the Zunsport grilles - problem solved. Highly recommended.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts