Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Canon T6s and I am trying to learn how to take some better pictures. I'm still getting used to the camera, so I just shot things in auto-focus mode.

Enjoy!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
A clean black Cayman is a thing of beauty. Love the way the curves pick up the reflections and light.

You might want to try a setting that lets you open the aperture to blur out the background (Bokeh effect). Sometimes the background is interesting and you want it sharp, other times it isn't and is a distraction.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

Yeah, this was literally my first day with the new camera. I wasn't messing with aperture or shutter speed or ISO or anything. Just left it on the 'auto everything' setting, mainly to get used to taking pictures with it. Today I plan to test out some of the more manual settings...

These pictures were taken with the 18-135mm lens, I also have a 55-250mm zoom lens t play around with. :dance:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using only a UV filter at the moment. Asking some friends about ND and polarizing filters I've gotten mixed opinions...

Does the polarizer cut down on the glare/reflections? I might try that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nice! Welcome to an expensive hobby.

The difference between decent pictures and great pictures is the lens. Not (just) the focal length but the minimum (largest opening) f-stop.

Using a focal length close to 80mm will get you the most natural looking photos, and if you can afford a lens with an f-stop <1.5, your subject will really pop out of the background. My .02

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
not quite on point, but to the OP,.. very nice car... but you really should think of front grill's .... just looking at your very nice photos i can't help but notice the radiators are soooooo vulnerable. IMO.
D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...and also very dirty. The car needs a serious wash, I plan to take care of that next weekend, I'll post more pics after the wash, it should clean up real nice. Most of the blemishes on the front are just dirt and bug splatter, but the hi-rez camera really brings that out. :D

Regarding the grilles, I've read some stuff about the Zunnsport grilles that turned me off. Mainly fitment and installation issues. So I've stayed away from them. I thought I also read about some cooling issues with those installed...

Have they fixed the issues? Maybe it's time to take another look.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Really good photos!! I had mine detailed last week and I agree, nothing beats a spotless black cayman!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Another tip: take your photos during the "golden hour." That is, the hour right after sunrise, or right before sunset.

I took this photo with my phone and the resolution isn't great, but it's a good "golden hour" example.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm familiar with the 'golden hour' concept. This past weekend, unfortunately was a bit hazy with a large wall of fog standing just offshore.

So, this basically nullifies the golden sunset light and just leaves you with a grayish fogginess...

Planning to wash the car next Sun and I'll plan to finish around the right time and snap some pics.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I'm using only a UV filter at the moment. Asking some friends about ND and polarizing filters I've gotten mixed opinions...

Does the polarizer cut down on the glare/reflections? I might try that.
Photography is my other hobby. (I like Canon cameras and lenses. I have a Canon 6D and a 7DII.) I've been taking pictures for 50+ years. To answer your questions -

1. Yes, a polarizing filter will reduce glare and reflections.
2. A Neutral Density filter will reduce the amount of light coming into a lens. For example, if you want to blur a stream or a waterfall but you are shooting on a bright sunny day, use a ND filter so that you can get a slower shutter speed.
3. A UV filter can be used to protect the lens. UV filters are (were) most often used with film cameras. I don't use a UV filter because it cuts down on the light that is getting to the lens and it doesn't correct anything that can't be corrected with a program like Photoshop.

I personally don't mind the reflections on your car. In fact I really like the reflections in the shot of your car in a parking deck . . . . but that's just me. Every photographer has his/her own way of doing things.

I spend a lot of time on the Digital Photography Review forum. That's a good place for information.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips! :)

Stupid question. If I have the UV filter on the lens now and want to use a polarizer or ND (or both??) do I take off the UV or put it on top?

Is there any rule of thumb to layering of filters? Are there combo filters that do both or all?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Thanks for the tips! :)

Stupid question. If I have the UV filter on the lens now and want to use a polarizer or ND (or both??) do I take off the UV or put it on top?

Is there any rule of thumb to layering of filters? Are there combo filters that do both or all?
I don't use filters very often although I own quite a few. When I do use filters I do not layer them. Filter glass - for the most part - is a lot cheaper than the glass that goes into a good lens. Why cover the lens glass up? Some people use a UV filter to protect their lens. I don't. I use a hood to protect the lens. I occasionally use a polarizing lens when I am shooting around water to cut glare. I might use a UV lens to cut haze if I am shooting in the mountains. I never use more than one lens at a time.

Lens filters are somewhat of a holdover from the days of film. (I have several boxes of Cokin filters that were for all sorts of special effects.) Filters made the sky bluer or the grass greener before the film was processed. Today with digital photography you can change the color of the grass or the color of the sky . . . or just about anything else . . . in a good photo software program (Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture). Filters aren't as important to the final outcome.

If you stack too many filters on a lens you run the risk of vignetting. (The corners of your picture will be darker.)

This might be helpful -

https://photographylife.com/must-have-filters-for-landscape-photography

For photography tips, check out David Bush's book - Your Photos Stink. I find it very helpful. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So, I finally got around to giving my Cayman a thorough wash and got out before sunset to snap some 'golden hour' pics. I shot these using aperture priority on the T6s using jpg format. I have not yet messed around with shooting in raw format or using Adobe Lightroom to adjust the colors... So these are all unmodified from how I shot them. For some of these, I think I may have benefitted from using a GND filter as the sky came out a touch too bright.

For some reason I really like this one with the reflections and the hot air balloon in the sky.

edit: added a couple more I liked.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I took a few more pictures today. Enjoying the clean car. :dance:

I shot all of these in RAW format and then used Adobe Lightroom to produce the JPEG images. I didn't modify the images too much just some adjustments to bring out the blues and greens a bit and sharpen the images up a bit. Hopefully they came out good, still trying to learn so I'm sure a professional could tell me why these are ****, but I like em.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks!! My girlfriend liked that one too. :)

(I added a couple additional pictures to the end. So, your 2nd to last is now the 4th from the last.)

Reactions: #Porscheobsessed

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a few more I took last Sunday. I really tried to adjust the colors and other settings in lightroom to make the images pop more. I guess the trick is to enhance the colors you want without making the other colors or the rest of the image look fake or distorted... Hopefully I didn't go too overboard with these and they still look pretty natural while still bringing out the blues and greens a bit more.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a few more I shot yesterday. We had some nice clouds with some blue skies poking through.

And the last few days of rain have turned the hills somewhat green. :)

Reactions: masti99
1 - 20 of 23 Posts