Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 4/20 I had about 3/8ths of a tank of gas, so I decided to fill it up since a top tier gas station was near my destination. After filling the tank I noticed that the fuel gauge hadn't moved. I immediately called the dealer to get my car checked out on 4/21. Since my warranty expires on 4/23, it's good to get this problem on record and not have to use "Good Will". :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hmm, how does the warranty work when a problem is reported just before warranty ends? How long, after the issue is reported, does one have to get the issue fixed?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, how does the warranty work when a problem is reported just before warranty ends? How long, after the issue is reported, does one have to get the issue fixed?
According to PCNA there's a grace period even after warranty expiration, provided that you have proof that your car was serviced in accordance with Porsche recommendations.To answer your question it's best if the problem is identified and on record prior to warranty expiration. You are still covered if the dealer must orders parts which come in after warranty expiration.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
On 4/20 I had about 3/8ths of a tank of gas, so I decided to fill it up since a top tier gas station was near my destination. After filling the tank I noticed that the fuel gauge hadn't moved. I immediately called the dealer to get my car checked out on 4/21. Since my warranty expires on 4/23, it's good to get this problem on record and not have to use "Good Will". :)
So the auto-destruct countdown has started? :) What I always fear with German cars!
Oh, good luck with the 'good will' repair. It may only entail a 10% discount on a huge bill.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Good luck indeed. Asking for goodwill is like asking for money outside of a store:crazy:. With warranty, no such embarrassing antics needed... which seldon reap benfits anyway. Hope that's the only thing that goes wrong for a long time;).

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gauge has been repaired. As far as goodwill is concerned, I've had nothing but great experiences with that program. As a long time owner of 911s, I've been the beneficiary of goodwill on several occasions. I didn't keep a tab on how much I saved over the decades, but the total is in the thousands and not hundreds. I always have my car serviced at the dealer in which I purchased my car, and the service manager has always been my advocate in seeking goodwill. About ten years ago a friend of mine who owned a 996, had a engine failure about a year after his warranty expiration. The price for a new engine and service fees were in excess of $24K. Porsche waived the price for the engine, and the dealer's charge was a little less than $4K. My friend had his car serviced at a Porsche dealership. Not certain how goodwill works for people who use an Indy or do their own maintenance, but it works well when you have a Porsche dealer who is your advocate. At least that's been my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
The gauge has been repaired. As far as goodwill is concerned, I've had nothing but great experiences with that program. As a long time owner of 911s, I've been the beneficiary of goodwill on several occasions. I didn't keep a tab on how much I saved over the decades, but the total is in the thousands and not hundreds. I always have my car serviced at the dealer in which I purchased my car, and the service manager has always been my advocate in seeking goodwill. About ten years ago a friend of mine who owned a 996, had a engine failure about a year after his warranty expiration. The price for a new engine and service fees were in excess of $24K. Porsche waived the price for the engine, and the dealer's charge was a little less than $4K. My friend had his car serviced at a Porsche dealership. Not certain how goodwill works for people who use an Indy or do their own maintenance, but it works well when you have a Porsche dealer who is your advocate. At least that's been my experience.
I am sure. But isn't it ridiculous that one would need 'goodwill' repairs on cars that cost north of 70 grand and in many instances six figures. I get gratitude but a frickin Camry doesn't need 'goodwill' repairs. OTOH, the Porches provide an unparalleled driving experience so there you go. There is no free lunch as the old adage goes. bTW, I am not dissing Porches, in fact waiting to see if I can get an allocation on a 991.2 4.

Reactions: mrg02d

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure. But isn't it ridiculous that one would need 'goodwill' repairs on cars that cost north of 70 grand and in many instances six figures. I get gratitude but a frickin Camry doesn't need 'goodwill' repairs. OTOH, the Porches provide an unparalleled driving experience so there you go. There is no free lunch as the old adage goes. bTW, I am not dissing Porches, in fact waiting to see if I can get an allocation on a 991.2 4.
Appliances should last a long time. Most of the Camry drivers in my area are in their "golden years", and I doubt that their cars ever go over 60 MPH.I suspect that Porsche owners push their cars a little bit harder than Camry owners. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to PCNA there's a grace period even after warranty expiration, provided that you have proof that your car was serviced in accordance with Porsche recommendations.To answer your question it's best if the problem is identified and on record prior to warranty expiration. You are still covered if the dealer must orders parts which come in after warranty expiration.
How long is the grace period?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long is the grace period?
I can only give you guidance based on my experience, and that would be within a year but my guess is that Porsche evaluates it on a case by case basis. Again based on my experience, Porsche is more apt to provide goodwill when they have a record of all the maintenance performed on the car. Any service performed by a Porsche dealer is documented in Porsche's database. That's why I have my service work performed at a dealership. Moreover, in my goodwill cases the dealership's Service Manager submitted a goodwill claim on my behalf without my urging.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can only give you guidance based on my experience, and that would be within a year but my guess is that Porsche evaluates it on a case by case basis. Again based on my experience, Porsche is more apt to provide goodwill when they have a record of all the maintenance performed on the car. Any service performed by a Porsche dealer is documented in Porsche's database. That's why I have my service work performed at a dealership. Moreover, in my goodwill cases the dealership's Service Manager submitted a goodwill claim on my behalf without my urging.
Thank you so much! I am debating if I should start doing maintenance myself as the cost is high.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I am sure. But isn't it ridiculous that one would need 'goodwill' repairs on cars that cost north of 70 grand and in many instances six figures. I get gratitude but a frickin Camry doesn't need 'goodwill' repairs.
When you sell 100x as many cars, quality and reliability are easier to achieve. To some extent a small-volume manufacturer learns new lessons with every car they ship. And the customer is right there "learning" alongside them.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
When you sell 100x as many cars, quality and reliability are easier to achieve. To some extent a small-volume manufacturer learns new lessons with every car they ship. And the customer is right there "learning" alongside them.
High sales volume should not automatically equate to better quality. It depends upon your own design and the parts manufactured in house and sourced from outside. Quality control. Porsche makes a very large profit on every car they sell so I would expect them to be deligent about quality. The lower sales volume should not matter but should work in their favor. Their suppliers should be held to a higher standard. After all we do pay a premium price for Porsches.

·
Registered
779 Posts
High sales volume should not automatically equate to better quality. It depends upon your own design and the parts manufactured in house and sourced from outside. Quality control. Porsche makes a very large profit on every car they sell so I would expect them to be deligent about quality. The lower sales volume should not matter but should work in their favor. Their suppliers should be held to a higher standard. After all we do pay a premium price for Porsches.
Funny how that doesn't happen with a car like Ferrari, which often need a motor rebuild at 50k. I think the whole point of modern era Porches is that real sports car with German -- not Italian -- reliability.

Thank you so much! I am debating if I should start doing maintenance myself as the cost is high.
If you change the oil at half the Porsche prescribed service interval (like I do), you can have the car serviced at the dealer (at the service interval) and work on it yourself (with an oil change in-between).

Reactions: Rafiki

·
Registered
58 Posts
Funny how that doesn't happen with a car like Ferrari, which often need a motor rebuild at 50k. I think the whole point of modern era Porches is that real sports car with German -- not Italian -- reliability.

If you change the oil at half the Porsche prescribed service interval (like I do), you can have the car serviced at the dealer (at the service interval) and work on it yourself (with an oil change in-between).
Any particular reason you do this? That is additional cost, no?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Any particular reason you do this? That is additional cost, no?
While synthetic oil clearly has more longevity than fossil-based, 10k changes let it get too dirty for my taste -- and an oil change is easy. I change the oil in my BMW oil every 7.5k and the 981 every 5k. I never change the oil in my wife's Tesla.

·
Registered
737 Posts
While synthetic oil clearly has more longevity than fossil-based, 10k changes let it get too dirty for my taste -- and an oil change is easy. I change the oil in my BMW oil every 7.5k and the 981 every 5k. I never change the oil in my wife's Tesla.
Have you ever had the oil analysed before? 5k miles seems to be very early. I used to do that on my Lexus until I had it tested and saw that there was very little "wear" on the oil and nothing indicating any engine wear either. I upped it to 7.5k after that.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have you ever had the oil analysed before? 5k miles seems to be very early. I used to do that on my Lexus until I had it tested and saw that there was very little "wear" on the oil and nothing indicating any engine wear either. I upped it to 7.5k after that.
Blackstine is slowly prying my eyes open as well, after using them for oil from a variety of cars in the past few years. It's just a matter of letting the facts overrule my pre-conceptions and gut feel.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Blackstine is slowly prying my eyes open as well, after using them for oil from a variety of cars in the past few years. It's just a matter of letting the facts overrule my pre-conceptions and gut feel.
Their cost vs Porsche oil change cost at a dealer is pretty low. Also nice is their analysis of engine wear based on elements found in the oil. For my Lexus, an oil change is only $55 at Toyota which is why I just did one analysis and just did a change at 7.5k. With Porsche being so high, an extra 2500 miles is worth more than the Blackstone cost.

Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.