Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was parked on the street in the marina in San Francisco and a big commercial truck sideswiped me. Luckily I got his insurance info, but ouch, this hurts to think about, and I'm worried it won't be the same after they repair it. :(

IMG_20150225_131225.jpg

IMG_20150225_140735.jpg

The estimate was $5k, and it also wasted most of my day dealing with it.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Ouch!! So sorry this happened!!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Man that's hard to look at. Very sorry.

·
Registered
309 Posts
:(, sorry! I know how you feel, though. I had my RX-8 for hardly a few months when someone backed into it and crunched the trunk. Worse, I parked in a far off location to avoid just that. Then, a few months later, I watched a huge truck park horribly next to me in our apartment spot, but I was drunk and didn't want to get in my car to move it and risk getting a DUI. I probably should have, he crushed the driver's side trying to get out sometime before I awoke the next morning to move it.

Anyone, really my point here is, in all those cases, the dealership did a great job fixing the car, and you'd have never known it was hit afterwards. I got over its being deflowered. So, hopefully you will too. Best of luck!

·
Registered
706 Posts
It seems like 5K is a low estimate. I see a wheel, tire, fender, door and mirror all needing replacement at minimum (at least what I would be pushing for). Plus labor and paint. Such a bummer to see that damage. I hope you quickly get it back as good as new.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Yeah, I think $5k is low...I had a mishap last month, and all that was damaged was the front bumper cap. Cost to fix around $5k.
A good shop can make it right...

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Yikes! How can someone miss a red car? :confused:

The damage does not look like it's structural, so hopefully a good body shop can replace the necessary parts and match the paint properly.

Just in case, a few good body shops in the South Bay that are very familiar with Porsche vehicles. (I've used both of them to handle paintwork for aftermarket body parts on my cars)

Mathews Carlsen Body Works in Palo Alto Mathews-Carlsen Body Works (The shop used to handle work for Carlsen Porsche)
Anderson Behel Body Shop in Santa Clara Anderson Behel Body Shop - The Premier Santa Clara Auto Body Shop (The shop used to handle work for Porsche of Stevens Creek)

Good luck!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the $5k estimate was lower than I expected. I noticed that the estimate doesn't include wheel, tire, or alignment although I know the guy was aware of those issues - maybe that's because they'll send it to the dealer for that work.

@2slow2speed thanks for the recommendations. I took it to German Auto Body in Santa Clara because they're Porsche authorized and had great yelp reviews. Hopefully they'll do good work.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Alignment should not be an issue, since that looks like all sheet metal damage. If a wheel has slight damage, it can be repaired and you'd never even be able to tell.

Any reputable body shop should be able to match the paint and texture perfectly. It's an upsetting thing to go through, but your car should be back to its original condition when the work is done.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yikes! How can someone miss a red car? :confused:
+1 but it happened to me; my then-relatively-new red Honda S2000 got sideswiped by an inattentive driver with poor lane discipline, both of us at highway speeds, and inevitably "I didn't see you". Before that, got rear-ended in my then-relatively-new Mazda Miata (admittedly green) at highway speed by a dump truck that pushed me for a while, and, inevitably, "I didn't see you". So, of course, not that my Boxster is almost 6 months old, I'm waiting...

OTOH, large commercial trucks on a city street, other factors might be in play.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It seems like 5K is a low estimate. I see a wheel, tire, fender, door and mirror all needing replacement at minimum (at least what I would be pushing for). Plus labor and paint. Such a bummer to see that damage. I hope you quickly get it back as good as new.
Wheel and tire? What's wrong with those?

And door getting replaced? lol That's easily fixable. Front fender looks crumbled though so that will probably get replaced, as will the mirror. But the rest I imagine could just be repaired to new.

Still a huge bummer! Bravo for posting pics though as most people make these posts without pics!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Yeah, the $5k estimate was lower than I expected. I noticed that the estimate doesn't include wheel, tire, or alignment although I know the guy was aware of those issues - maybe that's because they'll send it to the dealer for that work.

@2slow2speed thanks for the recommendations. I took it to German Auto Body in Santa Clara because they're Porsche authorized and had great yelp reviews. Hopefully they'll do good work.
Kaxon, I recommend you go to B2 Perfection in Santa Clara. I've had experience with German Auto Body, too. They are good, but not nearly as good as B2. Go to B2, talk to Blake and tell him the super anal guy with the blue Porsche sent you. He'll know who you're talking about. ;) And will take great care of you. Blake went above and beyond for me and did spectacular work when I had my front bumper repainted after it got side swiped. Every expert who's seen it can't believe they did such a good job matching the paint. It's indistinguishable from the rest of the car.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
you cant do fillers on aluminum doors.. urg.. thats for in 8k range..a porsche certified shop should make it new again.. but what a bummer.. thank god your not hurt and were not in the car.

Lemon

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
you cant do fillers on aluminum doors.. urg.. thats for in 8k range..a porsche certified shop should make it new again.. but what a bummer.. thank god your not hurt and were not in the car.

Lemon
Really? Were the doors on the BMW E90 330i not aluminum then, because I had a door on that car fixed when the bottom edge got slightly bent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used German Auto body about 5 years ago to repaint my nose, hood and roof...I had to go back 3 times to get them to do it right. You might want to get a few more recommendations.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Hurts to look at, but I doubt there is any damage to the frame, so it can be made right again. It'll be just like new.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts