Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 has the AWE exhaust but is otherwise stock.... The newer CS has noticeably more power and torque. My car felt slow after getting it back.... sometimes driving newer cars suck! :(

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I agree. The 6-speed '09 CS felt much quicker in the 2000-5000 rpm range. I think the Gen 1 engines must be substantially weaker there, and I'm guessing that's why the Gen2 cars feel so much quicker on the street. Above 5000 rpm the thrust didn't feel so different, but my drive time was limited, and subjective comparisons are of limited value. Nonetheless, one drive tempted me to order a '10, until I figured out that my net trade cost would be in the ballpark of $25K. That makes it easier to live with less power. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I agree. The 6-speed '09 CS felt much quicker in the 2000-5000 rpm range. I think the Gen 1 engines must be substantially weaker there, and I'm guessing that's why the Gen2 cars feel so much quicker on the street. Above 5000 rpm the thrust didn't feel so different, but my drive time was limited, and subjective comparisons are of limited value. Nonetheless, one drive tempted me to order a '10, until I figured out that my net trade cost would be in the ballpark of $25K. That makes it easier to live with less power. ;)
Same opinion here. The 2k - 3k range is where the new engine shines, couldn't tell that much diff on the top end though.

Thought about ordering a Gen II, and it isn't quite out of my head yet, but for now I'm still standing pat on keeping my '06 until I see what the 2012 model starts looking like.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Same opinion here. The 2k - 3k range is where the new engine shines, couldn't tell that much diff on the top end though.
It even pulls harder between 2k - 3k with the DFI Softronic tune. In fact I feel it all over the rev range.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It even pulls harder between 2k - 3k with the DFI Softronic tune. In fact I feel it all over the rev range.
Can we have your extensive review on the softronic tune for DFIs? I'm very close to order. Would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Can we have your extensive review on the softronic tune for DFIs? I'm very close to order. Would appreciate it.
Well there isn't much more I can add. My observations for a 6MT DFI Cayman S (non sports chrono) & no mods.

1, "Sport Mode" is a must! for those who didn't order sports chrono.

2, Pulls notably harder in the mid range 2k - 4k great for city driving. Above 5k = :eek:

3, Overtaking at high speeds is easier & swift

4, I noticed the exhaust note is throatier lower in the rev range.

5, Just a more aggressive feel to the driving experience, but not neck snapping.

6, Fuel consumption is less :) I am pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well there isn't much more I can add. My observations for a 6MT DFI Cayman S (non sports chrono) & no mods.

1, "Sport Mode" is a must! for those who didn't order sports chrono.

2, Pulls notably harder in the mid range 2k - 4k great for city driving. Above 5k = :eek:

3, Overtaking at high speeds is easier & swift

4, I noticed the exhaust note is throatier lower in the rev range.

5, Just a more aggressive feel to the driving experience, but not neck snapping.

6, Fuel consumption is less :) I am pleasantly surprised.
On a scale of 1 to 10, where do you rate this mod?

Do you think it's a must for every DFI CS owner?

Mind you, I have PDK with sport chrono plus package.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 2006 has the AWE exhaust but is otherwise stock.... The newer CS has noticeably more power and torque. My car felt slow after getting it back.... sometimes driving newer cars suck! :(
Nice sales tactic! And it looks like it work.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Considering I didn't have SC and I'm not going to bother with an exhaust or any other mod & given the fact I can revert to the original map via my laptop whenever I please I simply have to give it 10 out of 10. Sorry for highjacking the thread...

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I agree, sometimes driving a newer car can lead to bad things. Just ask my bank account.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
The other thing that caught my eye is that your dealer provided a new CS as a loaner. That's outstanding! Was it free? My local dealer charges $19/day for a 'loaner' and it's typically some Honda or something from a sister dealership, NOT even a Porsche. Always thought that was kinda cheap, especially for planned maintenance or warranty work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My plan also is to keep the 2008 until the new 2012 comes out and go from there, by the the new DFI engines will be all worked out and who knows what else Porsche/Vw has in store for us...

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
My plan also is to keep the 2008 until the new 2012 comes out and go from there, by the the new DFI engines will be all worked out and who knows what else Porsche/Vw has in store for us...
What's there to work out with the DFI? Porsche were using DFI in the 997 for 12 months before the Cayman. VW have used DFI engines since 2005. I've owned a DFI GTI since 2006 with not one issue :) The high pressure fuel pump is no harder to replace than a spark plug should it go faulty. My advise is, get yourself into a DFI Porsche ASAP no need to wait :dance:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Booo, my dealer only gives base Cayennes as loaners. The 2010 is nice and I wouldn't mind having one as a DD but I wanted something a little more fun. I have to say they do handle great for an SUV though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My dealer gave me a base Boxster as a loaner. It felt claustrophobic to me with the limit view out the rear and to the sides. And maybe it's just me but the new side mirrors...does anyone else find them to be huge and just a little bit ugly compared to the original? Maybe I'm just nit-picking 'cause I love my Cayman so much.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
My dealer gave me a base Boxster as a loaner. It felt claustrophobic to me with the limit view out the rear and to the sides. And maybe it's just me but the new side mirrors...does anyone else find them to be huge and just a little bit ugly compared to the original? Maybe I'm just nit-picking 'cause I love my Cayman so much.
No, we have a new base Boxster, and with the top up I'd have to agree with your claustrophobic comment, and the mirrors are big. You need those mirrors, though, when trying to merge into traffic, because unless you have the top down you have one huge blind spot to contend with.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I agree, they DO seem huge and ugly compared to the original... the "original" being one of these, that is...

brad

1 - 20 of 28 Posts