Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... for a few reasons. One, of course, is that the old Boxster is resting comfortably in my unheated garage sucking juice off my CTEK 3300 battery tender. The weather has ranged from warm and wet, to frigid and dry, to snow and ice, and gale force winds ... not the best conditions for a relaxing top-down or top-up drive. So, it sits ...

On December 31st, after 40 years in business, Sandy and I closed the doors of our business Guns bought and sold, all types of firearms | Village Gun Store and are officially retired. :banana:
We have sold the business, but it's been very stressful and we didn't know what would happen until the very end ... when our Senator Kelly Ayotte stepped in and helped pull the deal together. Now, we still have tons of work to do before the closing in two weeks. This has been, to say the least, quite a distraction.

Back on September 22nd, I purchased a new 2015 Mercedes Benz C300 sedan. Great car, and I really love it, but it has had a series of minor problems that have required numerous trips to the dealer ... who happens to be two hours away. The other day, as I got in the car, this is what greeted me:

seats (Large).jpg seats1 (Large).jpg seats4 (Large).jpg

The seats, made of a very well regarded synthetic material called MB-Tex, started oozing an oily substance and left this mess. I have washed it off, and it comes back within 24 hours. MB is aware of the issue and just released a TSB calling for the replacement of all the material ... basically gutting the interior and doing it over again. I'm in contact with them and am asking for a new car, but this doesn't meet our Lemon Law conditions, so I'm basically at the mercy of their customer service people.

Anyway, between the inability to enjoy my 981 S during the winter so far, the stress of closing/selling the business and retiring, and the problems I'm dealing with on my new C300, I just haven't been active here.

So, my apologies, and a promise to resume activities on Planet 9 as soon as my life calms down. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Wow, busy times. Hang in there ... the business will get transferred, the MB will eventually get fixed, and the weather will get better. And from someone that has been retired for a little over 15 years -- retirement is WONDERFUL!!!!

Reactions: StanNH

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
... for a few reasons. One, of course, is that the old Boxster is resting comfortably in my unheated garage sucking juice off my CTEK 3300 battery tender. The weather has ranged from warm and wet, to frigid and dry, to snow and ice, and gale force winds ... not the best conditions for a relaxing top-down or top-up drive. So, it sits ...

On December 31st, after 40 years in business, Sandy and I closed the doors of our business Guns bought and sold, all types of firearms | Village Gun Store and are officially retired. :banana:
We have sold the business, but it's been very stressful and we didn't know what would happen until the very end ... when our Senator Kelly Ayotte stepped in and helped pull the deal together. Now, we still have tons of work to do before the closing in two weeks. This has been, to say the least, quite a distraction.

Back on September 22nd, I purchased a new 2015 Mercedes Benz C300 sedan. Great car, and I really love it, but it has had a series of minor problems that have required numerous trips to the dealer ... who happens to be two hours away. The other day, as I got in the car, this is what greeted me:

View attachment 54774 View attachment 54775 View attachment 54776

The seats, made of a very well regarded synthetic material called MB-Tex, started oozing an oily substance and left this mess. I have washed it off, and it comes back within 24 hours. MB is aware of the issue and just released a TSB calling for the replacement of all the material ... basically gutting the interior and doing it over again. I'm in contact with them and am asking for a new car, but this doesn't meet our Lemon Law conditions, so I'm basically at the mercy of their customer service people.

Anyway, between the inability to enjoy my 981 S during the winter so far, the stress of closing/selling the business and retiring, and the problems I'm dealing with on my new C300, I just haven't been active here.

So, my apologies, and a promise to resume activities on Planet 9 as soon as my life calms down. :cheers:
Congratulations on Sandy's and maybe your retirement. TO-DO lists are always there ya know;). We have missed your wit and way with words but life has responsibilities other than P-9 or TD drives :banana:in the 981 whatever the weather. Ugh! to be Benz issues.

:cheers:

Reactions: sdj and StanNH

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Congratulations on the retirement!!

As for the seats... wow!! That's awful!! Is there any chance they'll replace it with full leather, or are they going with some different type of vinyl? I mean... if this was meant to be some super-premium vinyl and they replace it with some cheaper stuff because the fancy stuff didn't work out... then there really should be some sort of compensation right? I can't believe they're going to recover everything rather than just sending out new seats and panels and stuff. Is that really what they're doing or is that just how it's worded?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Welcome to the retired club which is actually another job with more flexibility. There are days when I wonder how I used to fit it all in while running a business, family...and fishing! I've been retired about seven years now and I still am working on not feeling guilty for sleeping past 6 am but that is one of the little jobs that I do enjoy. It's been 8 degrees here all week and I have to go get firewood and do the driveway for the 10th time...got to love it.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't post much lately either, but I enjoy your posts Stan and wish you the best on the transition.....I'm a chemist and I currently run IT for a large company that is involved in the plastic industry logistics business. Does the ooze have any smell to it? There are some nasty chemicals that are used in the plastics (vinyl) manufacturing process. This may be an unhealthy situation for humans to be exposed to. You may think about taking that angle with MB

Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now, the TSB calls for recovering the seats and replacing the headrests. The parts are still on backorder. For cars on dealer lots, they're telling the dealers to just wash the seats down with water and soap. I did that when I first noticed the problem, but it came right back. I've been in touch with the customer service people and will ask for a new car, but don't expect that to happen. A fix and an extended warranty might be as good a deal as I'll get. MB-Tex is the standard seat material they've been using for years now. It's very durable and wears like iron. It also is soft, textured, and feels and looks just like leather, so it's very popular. The new C300 being sold in North America is being built in Alabama, and this problem seems to be unique to that plant. It's very upsetting, but I have no choice but to wait and see what Mercedes will offer me.

As far as retirement goes, I don't feel retired yet. I feel like I'm on a break and have to go back to work soon. I will have to spend several weeks teaching the new owner how to run a business, but that shouldn't be too bad since my hours will be flexible.

Stress relief is a top-ride drive in my 981 ... on a warm summer night or a pleasant day trip through the mountains. Unfortunately, that option just isn't available right now.

Congratulations on the retirement!!

As for the seats... wow!! That's awful!! Is there any chance they'll replace it with full leather, or are they going with some different type of vinyl? I mean... if this was meant to be some super-premium vinyl and they replace it with some cheaper stuff because the fancy stuff didn't work out... then there really should be some sort of compensation right? I can't believe they're going to recover everything rather than just sending out new seats and panels and stuff. Is that really what they're doing or is that just how it's worded?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You should find out what that "oily substance" is from M-B. If it's what I suspect it might be (one of the ortho-phthalates) you should know that it could be both an endocrine disruptor (keep children away) and potential carcinogen. Some plasticizers are OK, but the low molecular weight phthalates are nasty and banned in children toys and juvenile products. These chemicals are used in plastic to make it feel more flexible - they don't bond on a molecular level with the polymer and thus can leach out. For that kind of "leaking" the chemical could be all through the seat padding. So, depends on what the substance is to determine the amount remediation that should occur.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good luck Stan. You'll get all this worked out soon, and it will be for the best. Retirement will be awesome for you and Sandy. I've been retired 7.5 years now and it's the bomb. Took a few months to get really relaxed after being product and schedule oriented for 31 years. I just had some home improvements keep me feeling productive and occupying me during a transition period. Now I am one lazy bum...no, just kidding, well sorta. I have lots of hobbies and the Brown Bomber is one of them. RC helicopters and planes, HO trains, oil painting, gardening. Oh yeah, and I have a dear Sandy of my own (really, her name too), my dear bride of 37 years. We also take care of my first son's baby daughter (17 mos) and that takes up the most time. Been wondering why you've been quiet. Congrats on the retirement and on selling the business! Oh and good luck with that upholstery in the Mercedes. You'll be fine because you know how to work things out logically. Regards, Jon

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Tough climate up your way. My in-laws live in Twin Mt., and I have been to Whitefield many times (love the Mt. View Grand). Looking at -22 tonight! Stay warm.
Regarding the seats: Sounds like they will make it right. Just a PITA. "Mercedes Benz...The best or nothing"

·
Registered
613 Posts
Stan, congratulations on your retirement. That was an outstanding run for your business. And if you have put the same thoughtfulness into selling and handing off your store to the new owner as you do for your P-9 posts, the new owner will be a satisfied purchaser! Time to plan some long road trips for when the weather turns nice again.

Dave

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No smell at all, and nothing on our clothing. The MB rep I spoke with wanted to know if I had seen anything on my clothing, in fact she asked several times. It varies with the temperature ... when cold it is oily, when warm it forms a white evaporate around the oily areas .. and it looks different every day. The oily deposit feels like a spray was applied, the white stuff feels like lanolin.

I don't post much lately either, but I enjoy your posts Stan and wish you the best on the transition.....I'm a chemist and I currently run IT for a large company that is involved in the plastic industry logistics business. Does the ooze have any smell to it? There are some nasty chemicals that are used in the plastics (vinyl) manufacturing process. This may be an unhealthy situation for humans to be exposed to. You may think about taking that angle with MB

Good luck.

Rick

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to retirement. I've been retired for 2 1/2 years and also wonder how I got everything done when I was working. I can't believe they are not replacing the seats. I think I would ask for leather after this. Why wouldn't it come back again? Is it a widespread problem? My wife and I also love Whitfield and the Mt View Grand. I used my iPhone to post a route on GTS Routes starting at the hotel and going through the White Mountains. I took my 13 BS out a couple of times last week but now that the snow is on the ground it is resting. Good luck with the seats. It would probably be too far for you but Porsche of Nashua does a rally each month from April to November.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Congratulations!

For me, I hope I never retire. At 48, I still have 30 years of hard work in front of me and I really like what I am doing.

With respect to those seats....OMG! I would be pissed. Hopefully MB will do right by you and fix them.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to retirement. I've been retired for 2 1/2 years and also wonder how I got everything done when I was working. I can't believe they are not replacing the seats. I think I would ask for leather after this. Why wouldn't it come back again? Is it a widespread problem? My wife and I also love Whitfield and the Mt View Grand. I used my iPhone to post a route on GTS Routes starting at the hotel and going through the White Mountains. I took my 13 BS out a couple of times last week but now that the snow is on the ground it is resting. Good luck with the seats. It would probably be too far for you but Porsche of Nashua does a rally each month from April to November.
Well, now that I have some spare time, I will try to attend some of those Porsche events that I always miss because they're on Saturdays, or during the week, or too far away for a day trip.

As far as those seats, I'm still waiting to hear from MB. Their TSB calls for new seat covers, but that may not be enough to really deal with the issue ... especially if it's the same material from the same supplier.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
From what you described about them using this material for years, it sounds like they just got a bad batch or something. So the replacement should be just fine. This can't happen very often.

It reminds me of the halt that Porsche put on the Pebble Grey leather. I wonder if something horrid started seeping out of that at the factory or something... :D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It reminds me of the halt that Porsche put on the Pebble Grey leather. I wonder if something horrid started seeping out of that at the factory or something... :D
I think a supplier accidentally put real pebbles in it. Obviously a translation problem.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Congrats on retiring. Did the same about 7 years ago. From management in a few very large companies to owning my own businesses, I was very ready to stop working. Remember how busy you were. I do but now if I have a dentist appointment and need to go to the bank on the same day I start stressing. How could I have been so stupid to schedule two things in the same day. What was I thinking. How am I gonna get both things done? I should have planned it better. And on and on. I'll end this now since I'm starting to push up against nap time.:cheers:

PS. Hope they get the MB fixed quickly or give you an even better loaner until they do.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still can't get used to the idea of being able to schedule appointments for any day of the week. I just have not been able to do that for 40 years, so it's tough to get out of that automatic restraint.

Today I have an afternoon appointment, plus I have a new book to start reading. Now, that's a full schedule!

Congrats on retiring. Did the same about 7 years ago. From management in a few very large companies to owning my own businesses, I was very ready to stop working. Remember how busy you were. I do but now if I have a dentist appointment and need to go to the bank on the same day I start stressing. How could I have been so stupid to schedule two things in the same day. What was I thinking. How am I gonna get both things done? I should have planned it better. And on and on. I'll end this now since I'm starting to push up against nap time.:cheers:

PS. Hope they get the MB fixed quickly or give you an even better loaner until they do.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts