Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, my name is Rob. I've been trying to buy a neighbor of mines 2014 981 Cayman S (stick shift) for about 3 years now. He's an older gentleman, and stopped driving the car about 5 years ago, and it hasn't ran or been driven since then. Crazy, huh...? Well, after many conversations over the years he finally came to terms, I bought the car from him yesterday, and had it towed to my warehouse/shop. I was able to get the frunk, and rear hatch open by energizing the fuse box emergency release connection, (I've owned prior Porsche's, and remembered this trick)

Next, I plan on getting a new battery, and take it from there.

My question is advice on the steps I should take before I attempt to start the engine up. After 5 years of sitting, my fear is the fuel system is going to be an issue since we all know what happens to gas after that much time. I plan on at minimum siphoning out the fuel tank, adding fresh fuel, changing the oil and filter, and checking coolant.

What other steps should I take before I attempt to start?

Is there a way to prime the engine with oil before I attempt to fire her up? On other cars I own, I've disconnected the crank shaft sensor harness, and that allows me to turn the engine over, priming it before start.

Excited to get her back on the road where she belongs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Has it been stored inside? if yes.....Others here might cringe but me? Syphon like you said, add some Techron and high test and then fire it up! If the fuel system needs intervention so be it, I can't see how doing this would make that more complex if it needs to be done. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Where was it stored (inside or out) and what part of the country?
Normally you'd run the engine first to get the oil hot before draining. In this case, I'd just drain and fill with 0W40 and new filter. Then start it and let it idle for about 5 minutes. Then give it light throttle to get the revs up to around 2500. Listen for odd sounds (more than usual :) ) Once the engine has reached normal operating temp, I'd shut it down and change the oil again. Remove and examine the filter. If it still looks OK, just reuse it. If you see any metal or nasty sludge, stop and regroup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in South Florida. Unfortunately the car was left in his driveway outside in the South Florida sun.

BTW, car has less than 14K miles on it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd still do a RSchwerer / Boris combo platter, you might get lucky kid! PS I can think of worse places it could have lived for five years but I bet the paint and interior took it hard.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As others posted...condition of storage will matter.

This year I started up a 25yo car that had been sitting on a battery tender in a Vegas garage for 3 years. It started right up after only 1 second more cranking than if it had been driven the prior night. Dry storage is great. I then changed the oil and it was super happy, didn't need any maintenance. (it had been stored with a full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, did not siphon)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Door panels are warped (common problem on all Porsche's of these years.) Headliner sagging down. Several friends of mine with 991's have had the same issues with their cars as this one. I know a local upholstery guy that can fix these issues. Besides that, interior is mint.

Paint is going to need serious paint correction. Headlights need to be cut and buffed. Body is mint, no dents, dings, etc. Once I get it running, I'll send it to a top notch detail guy I know. My biggest concern is fuel system.

I'll also be getting new tires, and most likely do new rotors and pads. Rotors are rusted to hell.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Methos you can't post that without car deets or a photo. Also, I always use Stabil just over a couple winter months because, why not? Of course now I have to show ID to buy it. You know you're old when you don't know how to use Stabil to get high. :unsure: I mean what are these kids doing with that stuff?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm afraid to ask how good of a deal you got. We'll be green with envy, won't we?

I know it's sad that the car sat out in the sun and parked for 5 years, but everything that THAT is hard on is Soooooo fixable!

I'm just happy the machine got adopted and getting a new life! Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm afraid to ask how good of a deal you got. We'll be green with envy, won't we?

I know it's sad that the car sat out in the sun and parked for 5 years, but everything that THAT is hard on is Soooooo fixable!

I'm just happy the machine got adopted and getting a new life! Congrats.

Let's just say that in the 52 years of my life, and after owning over 50 cars in my life, the deal I got on this car was the best I've ever gotten in my life. Ha.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Let's just say that in the 52 years of my life, and after owning over 50 cars in my life, the deal I got on this car was the best I've ever gotten in my life. Ha.
I love it!

And thanks for NOT telling me. Lol

Seriously, well sort of, beginning in my 50's I finally learned the acquisition technique that you described. Rather than me determining when to acquire, I just started to keep my eyes open for unique opportunities and circumstances. After about a decade and a half, I've managed to pounce a few times and it's gratifying to enjoy some of the luxuiries of life without the weight they usually carry.

Get that sweet ride sorted, and congratulations. :)

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
35 Posts
I second RSchwerer on changing the oil twice. The oil you put in the first time is mostly to grab any contaminants and particles.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
138 Posts
Has it been stored inside? if yes.....Others here might cringe but me? Syphon like you said, add some Techron and high test and then fire it up! If the fuel system needs intervention so be it, I can't see how doing this would make that more complex if it needs to be done. Good luck.
I worked on a car that was stored for three years without stabilizer and I added a heavy dose of Seafoam to the remaining gas in the tank after syphoning the tank and let it sit overnight and it’s like it rejuvenated the stale gas I then added fresh gas with more Seafoam. It worked on that car so I have done the same on a couple of small engines with very long term storage and it seems to dissolve the remaining old gelled gas. It might be worth a try.
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys, my name is Rob. I've been trying to buy a neighbor of mines 2014 981 Cayman S (stick shift) for about 3 years now. He's an older gentleman, and stopped driving the car about 5 years ago, and it hasn't ran or been driven since then. Crazy, huh...? Well, after many conversations over the years he finally came to terms, I bought the car from him yesterday, and had it towed to my warehouse/shop. I was able to get the frunk, and rear hatch open by energizing the fuse box emergency release connection, (I've owned prior Porsche's, and remembered this trick)

Next, I plan on getting a new battery, and take it from there.

My question is advice on the steps I should take before I attempt to start the engine up. After 5 years of sitting, my fear is the fuel system is going to be an issue since we all know what happens to gas after that much time. I plan on at minimum siphoning out the fuel tank, adding fresh fuel, changing the oil and filter, and checking coolant.

What other steps should I take before I attempt to start?

Is there a way to prime the engine with oil before I attempt to fire her up? On other cars I own, I've disconnected the crank shaft sensor harness, and that allows me to turn the engine over, priming it before start.

Excited to get her back on the road where she belongs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob.
Take it to authorised Porsche dealer and update the software as well. Less risk. Nothing worse than getting the 981S and have it gambled on DIY. After that, you can do your own thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like a great score for you! Congrats
Looking forward to your progress

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cranking to prime the oil gallery here.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I finally learned the acquisition technique that you described. Rather than me determining when to acquire, I just started to keep my eyes open for unique opportunities and circumstances.
Translation: "I read the obituaries daily" :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts