Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If the parking brake was on, you will need new rear brakes, if not just parked in P, then you can wash the brake rotors with heavy duty wheel cleaner and slowly start to use the brakes. The rust will come off if you are careful. The brake fluid definitely need flushing and refilling. This engine is a direct injection motor so very high fuel pressure. I would try to get as much of the old gas out as possible and refill it with 93 octane and a fuel stabilizer as stated above. If one of those direct injectors gets plugged, you could be squirting raw gas into that cylinder. I would think Porsche would take out the plugs and squirt breakin oil into the cylinders before startup as well.
Let us know your results.

Reactions: lrcipo

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Who said it was terminal? Just some precautions as the dr ordered, right?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm addressing the guys looking at my radiographs while they bid on my car! :) Oh that's bad Boris, we have to reduce our initial offer! But hey we will put a photo of the car on your gravestone so there's that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I assure you Boris that I wish you a loooooong and healthy life!

But how much DO you want for that sweet Spyder when you no longer can get in/out of it?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I resurrected a fuel injected motorcycle that had been stored for 10 years, and my 987 had been parked for a year, and if the car was running ok when parked then the fuel system will be your biggest problem. I'd suggest pulling the low pressure pump in the tank, siphon whatever is left in there and inspect the system. If the fuel hasn't crystallized and gummed everything up, put a couple of gallons in with your favorite flavor of fuel cleaner, disconnect the lp feed line to the hp pump and run the lp system.
Pull the injectors and have them tested/rebuilt. It'll save time and aggravation trying to chase down an injector that's spraying crap fuel into your engine.
Change the oil, prefill the filter, inspect the spark plugs, squirt some fresh engine oil in the cylinders & turn the engine over by hand to prime the oil system. Perform routine maintenance checks; brakes, filters, etc.
Good luck with it, I'm jealous, sounds like you got a dream deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll be working on the car more this weekend. I bought a new battery today, installed it, and the car shows 13,498 miles. Woo Hoo.

Tomorrow, I'll change the oil, siphon the old gas, do a few other things, and try and fire her up. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll be working on the car more this weekend. I bought a new battery today, installed it, and the car shows 13,498 miles. Woo Hoo.

Tomorrow, I'll change the oil, siphon the old gas, do a few other things, and try and fire her up. Fingers crossed.
I'm optimistic.
I think you'll come across a few things that have to be addressed due to neglect, but I got a feeling you just snagged a great car and value equation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, overall good news today guys! I got the car up in the air, changed oil and filter, checked and refilled coolant, aired up the tires, added fuel stabilizer and 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane. I did a few other checks and such, stuck a new battery in, primed the engine a bit, and she fired right up! I ran it about 30 seconds, shut off, and rechecked everything. So far so good. I then ran it at idle for a while as the temp creeped up, and I watched closely. So far so good. Once it came up close to normal operating temp, and I saw it wasn't overheating, I gave it a few light revs. So far so good. I then put it in gear, backed out of my shop, and proceeded to drive the car around at low speed monitoring everything closely. So far so good, normal temp, normal sounds. After driving the car around for about 10-15 minutes, I engaged Sport mode, got into the throttle a bit, and she roared to visceral life! Car is running, shifting, and driving fantastic! The manual gearbox feels crisp, and precise. The rear automated tail was doing it's dance. No errors, or messages on the LCD info screen. Obviously my tires are majorly flat spotted, and are in dire need of replacement, but besides that, the car is driving like a 13K mile car should!

There is however one thing wrong so far. The AC isn't working. Fan blows, and ramps up and down no issues, heat works, however no cold air blowing. I can hear the refrigerant running thru the system when I engage the compressor, but no cold air.

Well, I'm exhausted, and done for the day, but I call today a success. I'll deal with the AC another day, then the cosmetic's, and other maintenance items.

Super excited, and I'm still in shock on scoring this car at this deal. For those that are wondering, I picked it up for $30,000 even. 😊 Shhhhh.

I'll get some pics up of the car soon.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You were NOT supposed to tell me. Lol

OK, here's the ad:

2014 981 S with 14,000 miles.

Runs great. No codes.
But Air Conditioner is not blowing cold. Haven't had the AC diagnosed so will let it go discounted to $30K

Honestly, I don't think it would sell immediately because nobody would believe it. It'd smell like a scam.

What a great day you must have had as each anxious-moment step proved no-worry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats Robert! What a score. You might have to exaggerate to your neighbour all the things you had to do to get the car running again. And keep him away from reading this forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great story and I add my congrats. Nobody's mentioned the serpentine belt. Are you guys changing them at 6 years like like PCNA says, or is that interval getting stretched?

·
Registered
2009 987.2 2.9 6-speed
259 Posts
The serpentine belt replacement is not hard. Biggest job is actually being able to see it (taking off all of the interior panels). It is definitely a DIY if you are moderately comfortable with a wrench. Make sure you take pictures to get the routing of the new belt correct. Also make sure all of the ribs on the belt are correctly "engaged" with the various pulleys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have found a magnificent Porsche model. Congratulations! I would get it to a Porsche dealer for a thorough going over and reset/update. You have strong Porsche dealers in that region with factory trained technicians. That car is new and technologically complicated enough to warrant the investment. After that you can safely drive it and decide how you want to proceed with exterior/interior conditioning. And hopefully you‘ll have started a worthwhile relationship with your authorized dealer and mechanic. I have found this to be very beneficial with my own Porsches, including a wonderful little 2014 Cayman. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
OTOH, every time my dealer's wrench monkeys worked on my car they'd do a half-assed job and usually messed-up something else. I haven't taken it back to any authorized dealer in over 7 years (when the warranty ran out). I do all the routine maintenance myself and have an indy do stuff I can't.

Reactions: Robert J
21 - 40 of 48 Posts