Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang GT. I read all the articles, watched all the clips online, and then I finally got to drive one. And it left me wanting more. I wanted to trade in my 06 Cayman S, I just didn't get nearly the same feeling I did from the Mustang as I do my car. The intangibles in a car are in-measurable. I'm thinking I'm "stuck" in the Porsche brand for the foreseeable future. Going to be looking for an 09, PDK car for the next one. At least I tried.

Reactions: Richman and dirtyb

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
One of the things that I take note about when I test drive various brands is how connected I feel to the car. The Cayman is the one that has given me that feeling the most for the past several years..........At least part of that is the mid-engine enabling the rotation feeling in the small of your back, another is the incredible stiffness (torsional rigity) of the car, another is the just about unmatched progressive operation and feeling from the brakes.............et al. I get to drive my wife's various cars on a pretty regular basis. She currently is driving a new A3..........quite a nice car in its own right but I feel like I am sitting on something and am operating it in a somewhat remote or disconnected manner..........get back in the Cayman and boom, that integrated operation sensation is back. For what it is worth......

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mustang GT. I read all the articles, watched all the clips online, and then I finally got to drive one. And it left me wanting more. I wanted to trade in my 06 Cayman S, I just didn't get nearly the same feeling I did from the Mustang as I do my car. The intangibles in a car are in-measurable. I'm thinking I'm "stuck" in the Porsche brand for the foreseeable future. Going to be looking for an 09, PDK car for the next one. At least I tried.
Shame on you. Seriously. There are things about a Porsche that you won't notice until you notice them in other cars. For example, go find a 20 or 30 year old Porsche and notice how tight the doors are when you close them. Go find a Mustang or Camaro and see how tight their doors are. Chances are you have to slam it because the doors sag a little.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the mindset was getting something more modern, under warranty, the logical things. however cars are emotional, (even though porsche people dissect the most minute detail) The one thing I hated the most was the clutch and shift gate, couldn't get them to sing properly together. And the over all cheapness of the materials inside. we live and learn.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I would hope that your Porsche was a lot better than a new 2015 Mustang GT. Looks like you can get two Mustang Gt's for the price of a lightly optioned 2015 Cayman S. I understand you are comparing your 2006 CS to a 2015 Mustang GT but STILL no contest.

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Registered
297 Posts
I haven't driven one, but from all I've read I'm a bit let down by the new Mustang. Styling is objective, but I think it's a step backwards. And the weight increase...unforgivable. I just cannot ever see myself buying a 3800lb 2 door "sports" car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I had a Mustang GT years ago. I loved it. It is still one of the most fun cars that I ever owned. However, I will stick with my Cayman. I love it more. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
"Porsche, there is no substitute." I have not found another car that puts it all together as well as a Porsche does for sheer driving pleasure.
^^ THIS.

...and in a car that functions perfectly well as a daily driver. I am on my 6th Porsche in 3 decades, have loved and enjoyed every single one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a few fox body Mustangs. I consider the new for me 06 CS a Mustang for grown ups. No frills on the tech but all the frills of driving. It makes me feel like I am in HS again. I love the damn thing.

BTW getting new set of tires tomorrow. So look for me to tear this set up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Don't know anything about the 2015 Mustang other than the pics I've seen, but I've rented the current Mustang GT from Budget a cpl of times. The acceleration was fun, but that was about it. The GT didn't inspire me the way my 987Ss do. It was just a conveyance and kind of stale. And I grew up a Ford guy and have owned 2 Mustangs (one for 34 yrs that I just sold this summer) so I'd like it to be a better experience, but it's not. I wouldn't buy one.

Good move on keeping your 06.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a Lotus Evora for a year and sold it for a 13 GT500. I had the mustang for a year and dumped it. Its not even really fast because you cannot get any traction. Build quality was horrible. They took a V6 mustang and put a 650HP motor in it. I know the new ones finally have the independent suspension but its still ford junk. Just as an example on the dash surround for the steering column. When you look down the left side was touching and if you moved the tilt of the column it would scratch and dig in. Right side has close to an inch of room. For $65K I expected more. Ride was WAY harsh and danced around a lot. So i went back to refined fun. I LOVED my Evora but the quality issues were horrible. Bad throwout bearing at 7K miles / 2 dashboards for bad leather.. the list is LONG.... But then I got my Spyder. What a driving experience. It does everything I want and more. I go through cars a lot but this one will be a keeper for a bit. Just drove a GTR a few weeks ago to see what that is all about... Horrible ride.. you would chip a tooth. I love to drive and for that you need a drivers car.... Porsche Spyder!!!!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
One of the things that I take note about when I test drive various brands is how connected I feel to the car. The Cayman is the one that has given me that feeling the most for the past several years..........At least part of that is the mid-engine enabling the rotation feeling in the small of your back, another is the incredible stiffness (torsional rigity) of the car, another is the just about unmatched progressive operation and feeling from the brakes.............et al. I get to drive my wife's various cars on a pretty regular basis. She currently is driving a new A3..........quite a nice car in its own right but I feel like I am sitting on something and am operating it in a somewhat remote or disconnected manner..........get back in the Cayman and boom, that integrated operation sensation is back. For what it is worth......
+1, excellent description. This same applies to just about every other car on the road. It is a sensational driving package.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I never thought a Porsche fan would look at a Mustang, Viper or Challenger. I understand some came from (and go back) a Corvette and Camaro.

However, for me the only American car that keeps me drooling is the Plymouth Prawler. Unfortunately it was under powered and wasn't given a chance afterwards.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I never thought a Porsche fan would look at a Mustang, Viper or Challenger. I understand some came from (and go back) a Corvette and Camaro.
Oh heck no! I can see myself in a Mustang. I could never see myself in a Vette. Back in the day I was a Corner Captain for SCCA/IMSA events. That was during the CanAm and TransAm days. I pulled for a Porsche or a Mustang. In fact my corner worker buddies called Vettes "Plastic Pigs". (No offense to those of you who are Vette fans.)

My Mustang was really a hand full in the rain. :helpme:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the '15 Mustang you drove have the Performance Package ?

·
Registered
664 Posts
What would be cool is if they did a modern SVO with the 2.3 turbo that are using now. I was a fan plus I had a Merkur Xr4ti in college.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Yep, don't feel bad. I've been "stuck" with 911s for over 40 years. The problem is that Porsches provide a unique driving experience that I can't find in any other cars in my price range, and believe me I have tried. I've considered cars like the C63 AMG, Viper, Vettes, etc. and although I enjoyed test driving each of these cars, they just aren't Porsches and I knew I'd be regretting my purchasing decision within a week or two. Although there are lots of less expensive options, I have never met anyone who has regretted their decision to buy a Porsche, regardless of model.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts