Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself always thinking about trading the CS for a TT. I track my CS maybe one weekend a year. I love the handling on the track, but I think the handling benefits of a CS really don't reveal themselves on the street if one is driving the posted speeds. One could say the same thing about a TT but one could still dip into the gas pedal to feel the torque and then back off before getting into trouble with the law. I really want to feel that raw power.
It seems the writing is one the wall as to the future of high performance cars. Automakers are going electric and I want to own and experience a super car before it too late. Anyone else lusting about the feel of 500 hp/Ft Lbs of torque?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I almost bought one a week or so ago. But instead I decided to go with a new Spyder. The light weight and agility was so interesting, it looks great, and it'll damn near be like getting a free car with what I won't lose on the Turbo.

I love big hp too, but I also like lightweight and nimble, so I thought I'd try out the Spyder. Worse case, I'll trade if for a Turbo down the road.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I find myself always thinking about trading the CS for a TT. I track my CS maybe one weekend a year. I love the handling on the track, but I think the handling benefits of a CS really don't reveal themselves on the street if one is driving the posted speeds. One could say the same thing about a TT but one could still dip into the gas pedal to feel the torque and then back off before getting into trouble with the law. I really want to feel that raw power.
It seems the writing is one the wall as to the future of high performance cars. Automakers are going electric and I want to own and experience a super car before it too late. Anyone else lusting about the feel of 500 hp/Ft Lbs of torque?
You only live once...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had both... miss my turbo, love driving the CS. The HP is addicting, and I can honestly say my goal is to have both someday. If I could only have 1, my personal choice is the CS, but thats a personal choice. If I were only hitting the track once a year, I would probably want the turbo car...

·
Registered
442 Posts
i don't think anyone needs to worry about missing out, cars get better all the time.

electric engines have far more torque anyway

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Ever since the release of this clip and I get to watch it over and over from time to time:
YouTube - 911 Turbo - Official Press Trailer.

If I could afford one, I'd drop my Cayman S in a heartbeat and never look back! The new 911t beats almost every single super car on the planet (in acceleration) at a fraction of a price in an absolute majestic style!

If you could afford one, just get it !

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Ever since the release of this clip and I get to watch it over and over from time to time:
YouTube - 911 Turbo - Official Press Trailer.

If I could afford one, I'd drop my Cayman S in a heartbeat and never look back! The new 911t beats almost every single super car on the planet (in acceleration) at a fraction of a price in an absolute majestic style!

If you could afford one, just get it !
+1, I just saw a new TT cab with PDK yesterday and my heart nearly exploded at the rate of its acceleration. If I could afford one I'd definitely go for it. Alas, I WILL miss my Boxster!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I must have missed that writing on the wall. Every year horsepower and mpg seem to go up and up. Mustangs, Camaros, Hemis, BMWs, ZR6s, Porsches, Audis, Mercedes - the list of cool choices goes on and on and on. Heck, last month I bought a new 400 lb BMW motorcycle with 193 HP, which I believe is more than my first 911 had. I've been a car fanatic for forty years and times have never been better.

I'd say you still have about 20 years left to enjoy a high powered gasoline car. And don't be surprised to see electric high performance cars one day making thousands of pounds of torque, because torque is a lot easier to make with electric motors.

I drove a TT and it was awesome, just great. However, about 2 or 3 times a year our local dealer takes TT's with less than 5k miles back in trade from customers who want something else. I'm not sure if the owners are just fickle jillionaires, of which we have plenty locally, or the car loses its appeal quickly.

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
+1, I just saw a new TT cab with PDK yesterday and my heart nearly exploded at the rate of its acceleration. If I could afford one I'd definitely go for it. Alas, I WILL miss my Boxster!
You won't even remember your Boxster if you get a convertible 911t !!!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
You can have the same power and acceleration with TPC's turbo kit. Having had both, the 911tt is certainly a different car, having both is great. I would not give my Cayman up for it though.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
If I could afford to do it, I would in a heart beat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can have the same power and acceleration with TPC's turbo kit. Having had both, the 911tt is certainly a different car, having both is great. I would not give my Cayman up for it though.
Really? I didn't think the TPC Cayman would be anywhere near as quick as the gen 2 997TT. The new 997TT w/PDK can trap 128mph at the end of the 1/4. What have folks been able to trap with the TPC kit?

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Well, first off if you talk about a 997.2tt with PDk and all bells and whistles you are talking about a different car. The tt will always trap a higher speed, because of gearing alone. The Cayman will still top out depending on rev limiter setting at around 180MPH top speed. A stock 997.1tt will be close to a Turbo TPC on the quater mile but that would mainly depend on the driver because with the tt you can just rev it, let the clutch go and the AWD will provide the grip. The Cayman will require a slight rolling start to not spin the wheels and for the first and second gear you can still not just floor the pedal because that will again cause wheel spin above 6,000rpm.

So that is all in terms of paper comparison and possibly a 1/4 mile race, if the driver would be super competent. Now to your original statement and in terms of wanting to feel the raw power, that is the Cayman TPC turbo hands down. The 997tt sounds and feels like a friggin' Prius inside. You hear NOTHING, completely removed from any engine or exhaust noise. Your seat of the pants experience in the Cayman turbo is way more visceral than it is in a 911 turbo.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If had the coin I'd be right there with you (a familiar response). To me the ultimate driving machine (pun fully intentional) would be a Gen II CS with TPC turbo, Guard LSD, beefed up clutch and proper suspension package. I'd have to go with the 6MT just cuz I'm old school! :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I keep thinking of Heffner TT LP560-4.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The speed limit issue is very real, although I pretty much ignore the limits and try to drive smoothly and go as unnoticed as possible. It seems like comments here indicate that the turbo has more of the acceleration "rush" and less of the handling goodness. Personally, I find the Cayman S way too fast for the limits and way too tempting. I can't see going to a turbo (given the arguments above) as a positive step (more tempting/rewarding to blast up to speed and less good in some other ways.)

I certainly get the acceleration thing, though. Whenever I think the Cayman is fast, I ride my "slow" Aprilia Futura (slightly modded) and, well, the Cayman ain't fast!

So, why not consider something fast and cheap(er,) like a Corvette? Or a motocycle? I hear BMW makes a fast one now. :)

I've been eyeing GT3s, but I keep telling myself that they aren't worth twice what my Cayman S is, on my personal value meter today. A turbo is a similar proposition, money-wise - and given the arguments in this thread, I guess the TPC setup would be a much better choice.

If I win the lottery and expand my garage, I guess I will have one of each that we all could go compare back-to-back. Cross your fingers...

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
One thing about horsepower...you quickly get used to whatever you have and it's never enough. When I bought my Cayman S a while back, I picked it over a 996TTX50. Yes, the power of the Turbo was exhilarating, but it felt like a heavy, sluggish handling car compared to the Cayman. The CS felt light and nimble, if a bit underpowered, and to me, that made the Cayman a more entertaining car 90% of the time. It's all about the emotions of driving and the connection to the car, which is where the Cayman excels.

I haven't driven the newest 997.2 TT, but I read that it is much improved in the handling department. I don't know if that's what you are considering, but that could be an interesting choice...

·
Registered
806 Posts
+1 on what Jake said. The turbo is a heavy sluggish handling car. I drove a 911 Cab once, and it weighed 350 pounds more than the Cayman. The Cayman is far more nimble. And as for it being under powered, how often are you really on full throttle? For me, not that much, just on-ramps now and then, and then only in very light traffic, otherwise I read-end the guy in front of me.

You said "one could still dip into the gas pedal to feel the torque and then back off before getting into trouble with the law." True, but you really only have about 3 seconds to feel that torque before you are in trouble with the law.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts