Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I finally realized what my next sports car is going to be!

I'm very happy with my 981S Boxster, and not planning to sell it in a foreseable future, but... There is always that itch. And really no cars in my price range to satisfy it. Modern 911 is a fine car, but I don't think it's better than 981S so that's a dead end... No other cars this side of 100 grand are sporty enough and practical enough for me...

But I always loved those old 911s, restored to better-than-new, with some mods and modern touches. And the widebody. After doing big number of small projects on my 981, and building a few go-karts for my kids, I think I'm ready to build something for myself. A 911 Outlaw. Right now I see it like this

1978-83 911SC as a base, stripped to the metal
+930 widebody kit
+best suspension modern sciense can provide
+chewy engine swap in NA, 350-400 range from Renegade in Vegas
+real cool interior in Singer style

I know a lot of people will scorn at the engine swap. But I don't really have any feelings for old Porsche engines. And to rebuild one is about twice as an engine swap with LOTS more power, so I'm totally open to that option.

I'm going to outsource the main body work and paint to a pro shop. I don't have the experience to do that. But after that, all the smaller pieces, suspension and interior I'll do in my garage.

A few inspiratonal pics

Reactions: Anand

·
Registered
782 Posts
I know what my next car will be also!
But it will be a new Porsche Model, not yet announced.
I love my 981B but for me it’s a sunny sky top down roadster and in no way compares to traveling in my 911.
Or on Track for that matter.
As to the current attention for ‘Restomods’ as they are referred to, I just don’t believe you can make a better product than Porsche, I don’t care if you call it a Singer, Ruf or T-Design!
I have respect for your ability as an engineer and if the journey is what you are after, than go for it.
What I want is simply the best product out there when I turn the key.
And that is coming from Porsche in a year or so.-Richard

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know what my next car will be also!
But it will be a new Porsche Model, not yet announced.
I love my 981B but for me it’s a sunny sky top down roadster and in no way compares to traveling in my 911.
Or on Track for that matter.
As to the current attention for ‘Restomods’ as they are referred to, I just don’t believe you can make a better product than Porsche, I don’t care if you call it a Singer, Ruf or T-Design!
I have respect for your ability as an engineer and if the journey is what you are after, than go for it.
What I want is simply the best product out there when I turn the key.
And that is coming from Porsche in a year or so.-Richard
I truly believe it's very easy to improve on a car that Porsche was making *40 years ago*. I always loved the look and feel of those older 911s, but to be limited to what Porsche felt adequate 40 years ago in horse power and body width... nah. That's an artificial constraint. And actually Porsche itself now make very wide cars with 400hp+. So it's not like I want to do something that Porsche doesn't do themselves!!!

I totaly understand people who restore cars to spec, matching every nut and bolt, but for me that's boring and not interesting thing to do. I want a cool looking timeless P-car that can also go fast. And can turn and stop as well as the modern technology allows. Wanted to do it for the last 10 years... And it's probably going to be a few more before I can really start on this. But when 10 years ago I didn't have guts, money, and space to do something big like this - now it's looking better to the point where I can actually start planning. Yes, I love tinkering with cars, and this looks like a logical next step on a road.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can afford it that green beast looks fabulous!
That thing from Singer starts in at $350K I think. Yes, 2 x GT3... No I can't afford anything like that. I also can't afford a simplier $150K restomods from few other good shops. Or I would go for it, no question. I'm planning on finding $10K 911SC chassis in good condition and go from there...

·
Registered
897 Posts
That thing from Singer starts in at $350K I think. Yes, 2 x GT3... No I can't afford anything like that. I also can't afford a simplier $150K restomods from few other good shops. Or I would go for it, no question. I'm planning on finding $10K 911SC chassis in good condition and go from there...

The green car is actually a concept from Singer Williams based on a 964 chassis. To my knowledge they only have a test mule now and haven’t completed a car. The images that are being shown of the “ Green Car “ are merely artists renderings. Price is “RUMORED “ to be $1.5 million as the cars are completely bespoke and finished to customers specs.

This Is Singer and Williams's Lightweight, 500-HP Wildly Reimagined Porsche 911

Here’s a YouTube video of the test mule in action - the sound track from a 500 HP flat six is amazing IMO.

https://youtu.be/1KgO8QbXKgw

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good luck with your plan to build an Outlaw 911 as I think they are pretty bad***.

My current ride is a 2016 CGTS and it’s a great car - the handling is awesome but like yourself I’m looking to build a simple old school car for pure driving pleasure.

Currently, I’m also thinking of doing an Outlaw or Backdated 911 simply for the reason that I want to experience a more pure driving experience IMO. My goals are to build / find a car with mechanical steering, no ABS, no traction control, naturally aspirated flat six, non sunroof, manual trans, wide body and it’s gotta have the classic Porsche ducktail.

I’m leaning towards a 964 based car since my understanding is that the 964 series cars have a better chassis and suspension design but I am still in the research stage.

Here’s a photo of a backdated Outlaw that’s my inspiration.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Believe me, I’m not belittling anyone!
I did give the process some thought as I grew up with the air cooled 911’s, TR3’s and 4’s along with eJag’s, sedan’s.
But I would like to know what problems Singer and other owners have with their Porsche’s?
It appears to me that most go from garage to car show and back.
I simply want to turn the key and go, along with modern safety and technology.-Richard

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I think this would a such a fun project. Like Richard, I too like modern cars like my current C4S but this kind of a project would be a perfect retirement hobby. At some point in my life, after I am retired, I would like to tinker but would want a simpler car that a doofus like me can take apart and put it back together again. An old 911 would be perfect although the air-cooled ones are priced out my reach. The other hobby I have in mind is to extract various natural products, preferably mind altering, from local plants and experiment on myself like Oliver Sacks. While I am working on the Porsche.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I like it, the more new cars keep adding electronics and driving themselves the more I find myself looking at classics (with a few upgrades) as my next car.

Anyone have Photoshop? I think you should do your Porsche and give it a true outlaw (Smokey and the Bandit) theme like this R8 owner did. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007-2010 GT3 is my next car. Mexico Blue is preferred, then Yellow or White. I admit I’m buying it as both an investment and fun car so I’ll do my best to keep it stock to keep its value up. A couple of Track days the first year and then weekend use only. I know it’s going to be 75k-110k Ball Park but I see these cars bottoming out in price then going vertical in price the way so many Porsche’s have done before it. I wish I could afford an RS (as I see it as a better investment grade car) but to rich for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The question is where do you get a good project car. I did some search and it's pretty much impossible to find a cheap 78-83 911SC. Nothing below 25K.

964 body is (relatively) heavy compared to earlier cars. Looks like 4-500lbs extra. May be that's why its not as popular for projects? And there no cheap ones on the market either.

Damn, did I miss the boat? :(

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good luck with your plan to build an Outlaw 911 as I think they are pretty bad***.

My current ride is a 2016 CGTS and it’s a great car - the handling is awesome but like yourself I’m looking to build a simple old school car for pure driving pleasure.

Currently, I’m also thinking of doing an Outlaw or Backdated 911 simply for the reason that I want to experience a more pure driving experience IMO. My goals are to build / find a car with mechanical steering, no ABS, no traction control, naturally aspirated flat six, non sunroof, manual trans, wide body and it’s gotta have the classic Porsche ducktail.

I’m leaning towards a 964 based car since my understanding is that the 964 series cars have a better chassis and suspension design but I am still in the research stage.

Here’s a photo of a backdated Outlaw that’s my inspiration.
That is pre 1978 car in that picture. 964 is bigger and much heavier, I understand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.