Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm out here in Las Vegas at my winter home I though it would be fun to visit Renegade Hybrids. For those of you that aren't familiar with RH they do a lot of work on Porsches with their specialty being engine swaps. I spent a few hours with the owner Scott Mann discussing the possibility of a LS7 in a CS. They have never done a swap in a Cayman but the possibility looks good. There is space, the bellhousing, starter, waterpump, electric power steering, dry sump oiling and cooling capacity is already worked out from other swaps. Weight is a wash. CG may be slighty higher (accesories are mounted lower than stock CS)

Of course there are a bunch of stuff that won't work such as PSM! lol A detailed analysis of what key functions could be kept(ABS) and what would be lost would be interesting.

I'm so pissed about the POS Porsche 3.4 I'm giving conversion a hard look.

BTW there where many interesting cars on the shop floor both front & rear engine. No 914's to see though. Boxsters don't have room for a V8. RH's craftsmanship was excellent in the cars I saw. looks like the factory intended the chevy to be in the engine bay.

Scott's looking to do a Cayman prototype so if you have a CS with a blown engine you could get a good deal!

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Renegade is indeed a top tuner shop, and Scott is a real engineering wiz kid. I saw his beautiful Porsche 964 with the small Chevy block. It was so clean and well engineered that it looked OEM. Maybe better than OEM! A most beautiful job in every way.

·
Registered
620 Posts
..... Boxsters don't have room for a V8. ...
If Boxsters don't have room (even 987?) - how different is the Cayman engine bay? And obviously - where there is a will there is a way. At least one other guy is working on a Boxster LSx conversion currently.

I think this could make a really fun hillclimb, mountain, or autocross car. So I am watching with interest.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott explained that the Boxster soft top storage area intrudes into the top of the engine compartment. Length & width are OK. Not enough height to fit the V8

·
Registered
212 Posts
Boxster Spyder with LS7? :0

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Gimme a HEMI ...... please

·
Registered
87 Posts
Scott explained that the Boxster soft top storage area intrudes into the top of the engine compartment. Length & width are OK. Not enough height to fit the V8
I wonder if a small block Ford V8 would fit the Boxster. They're smaller & lighter than a small block Chevy V8. The 347 stroker is a popular choice, making around 450 HP.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A Cayman with a V8 would be interesting. Imagine an engine issue at the track and being able to go to an AutoZone or Pep Boys for a part!

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I wonder if a small block Ford V8 would fit the Boxster. They're smaller & lighter than a small block Chevy V8. The 347 stroker is a popular choice, making around 450 HP.
What about the weight. Wouldn't that be an issue?

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
If you want to do an engine conversion, why not drop in an X-51 3.8L? Wouldn't that make more sense? That conversion would still work with all of the cars systems, like ABS and PSM, and the car would still be a Porsche.

What would a V-8 conversion cost? To me, if this is what you really want, then you bought the wrong car. Just my :2cents:.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you want to do an engine conversion, why not drop in an X-51 3.8L? Wouldn't that make more sense? That conversion would still work with all of the cars systems, like ABS and PSM, and the car would still be a Porsche.

What would a V-8 conversion cost? To me, if this is what you really want, then you bought the wrong car. Just my :2cents:.
I think a Boxster hill-climb/mountain car with an LSx and as much weight as possible stripped out of it would be a total hoot. Something I'd use when my friends are on their bikes. If it were a Boxster I'd possibly even take the windows and roof off, and drill (rain) drain holes in the floorboard. An Ariel Atom or 427 Cobra type mentality. Done properly, it should have over twice as much torque (throttle response) as a 3.8.

This is in sharp contrast to my street Cayman, which, I'm keeping on the more refined side (full leather, TUV exhaust, etc.).

I'd have Both.

Am I crazy, or is it starting to make some sense, or both?

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The 3.8 still has the oiling issues a 3.4 does. I'm more than a little pissed that porsche waited until Gen II to fix them when they have know about it for years. Replacing a 3.4l from the factory costs as much as a 500hp 480 lb/ft all aluminum Chevy.

I'm not going to do the swap, the car would be OOC for a long time as a prototype.

The Ford 5.0 is a smaller engine. The aftermarket aluminum block versions are lighter than the Chevy & go to 366 cu in in the short deck block. I'm actually a Ford guy and would much rather have the ford than a stinkin' Chevy but RH has all the stuff fabbed for the Bow Tie engine. So if yo are going to do it the Chevy is the way to go.

I owned a Sunbeam Tiger and replaced the ford 260 with a built 289. It was quite an interesting ride on 185 / 13 radials! lol

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I once did a V8 Scarab conversion on a 280Z. The projet was both time consuming and fun. In the end the car was way down on brakes to match the hp. Also, it was a pain in the rear to sell.

Someone questioned a Hemi. I had a friend in the late 60's that put a Hemi in an AC Ace Bristol. The car was mainly used for drag racing. It was an incredibly fst car. Too bad he didn't leave it alone. Today an AC Ace will go for north of $100K.

Here's one and note the early resemblance to the Cobra:

View attachment 11995

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
That would be cool and a hoot to drive I am sure, but somehow just not right IMO.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think a Boxster hill-climb/mountain car with an LSx
2500 HP Boxster?:eek:

"LSX

At the 2006 SEMA show, GM Performance Parts introduced the LSX engine,
an all-new cast-iron racing block based on the LS7 engine. It was designed
with help from drag racing legend Warren Johnson. It offers displacements
ranging from 364 cubic inches to 511 cubic inches (4.25 in (108 mm) Bore
4.5 in (114.3 mm) Stroke) and is capable of withstanding 2,500 bhp "

·
Registered
620 Posts
2500 HP Boxster?:eek:

"LSX

At the 2006 SEMA show, GM Performance Parts introduced the LSX engine,
an all-new cast-iron racing block based on the LS7 engine. It was designed
with help from drag racing legend Warren Johnson. It offers displacements
ranging from 364 cubic inches to 511 cubic inches (4.25 in (108 mm) Bore
4.5 in (114.3 mm) Stroke) and is capable of withstanding 2,500 bhp "
Nah, I just meant generically an LS-something (I like the 7). (I put a small x to try to differentiate). The LS-X is too heavy for my tastes, being cast iron. Though for those into high boost and big power, have at the LS-X. An LS-7 can make over 600 hp, normally aspirated, with very minor mods...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts