Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a business lunch at a local spot I saw a white Cayman R. Upon closer inspection, it was MY car. Was my car, anyway. The center wheel caps were the give-away.

I met the guy. Not from the area. Happened to be in town for service. Nice guy.

If he will come and get them, he gets a free set of Boxster take-off wheels with MPSCs to enjoy at the track. And some brake pads at 50%. I need the space in my garage. Z06 wheels are enormous.

Not a bad chance meeting. :) The Electric Fiat is mine.

IMG_4087.JPG

Reactions: Arch

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
On the subject of "Do I miss the Cayman R?" the answer is yes, but...

The video is from built in recorder. A software update fixed the issue with the color. Something about the lens and windscreen they didn't account for. The PDR (performance data recorder) from Cosworth is amazing.

Porsche guys not familiar with need to look a speedometer so they don't get confused by the sound of an engine with 650 pound-feet of torque at lower than expected RPMs.

Those not familiar with Thunderhill won't fully appreciate this lap. My best in my R on Cup tires was a 2:08.

IMG_3424.JPG

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yikes, that thing is fast! Not just the power, the speed you carried through some of the corners would have my Cayman off in the weeds.

What tires were you running?

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yikes, that thing is fast! Not just the power, the speed you carried through some of the corners would have my Cayman off in the weeds.

What tires were you running?
Cup2's. The stock tire that comes with the Z07 package.

Pilot SuperSports are a few seconds slower, but are amazing.

Both are absurdly expensive and last maybe 4 track days. Looking for more reasonable options.

The car is clearly in the same class as a 991 GT3. It is all up to the driver.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Wow, 1:54's really nice lap!

BTW: Some questions:

How are the CCB rotors/pads holding up on your car?

IIRC your car has the 8 speed transmission, any overheating issues?

I wasn't able to get a GT4 allocation at MSRP, so the C7 Z06 is in my shortlist of cars to consider as a next track toy :)

Cup2's. The stock tire that comes with the Z07 package.

Pilot SuperSports are a few seconds slower, but are amazing.

Both are absurdly expensive and last maybe 4 track days. Looking for more reasonable options.

The car is clearly in the same class as a 991 GT3. It is all up to the driver.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow, 1:54's really nice lap!

BTW: Some questions:

How are the CCB rotors/pads holding up on your car?

IIRC your car has the 8 speed transmission, any overheating issues?

I wasn't able to get a GT4 allocation at MSRP, so the C7 Z06 is in my shortlist of cars to consider as a next track toy :)
I have steel brakes, and they have no issues. I did not get a Z07 package because I didn't want CCBs or Cups (as primary tires). The Aero bits can be added later. I am happy with that choice.

Yes. I have the A8. It is magical. But it has one issue. When you switch the car into Track Mode, and drive in "D" the transmission goes into "set a world record" mode and selects the lowest gear possible to ensure that all 650 pound feet of torque are a mm of throttle away at all times. The revs are kept higher than a human ever would keep them.

The theoretical result is quicker lap times in the hands of a Pro. The practical result is that the car will do maybe 3 laps on a 90 degree plus day before it overheats. That means oil/water temps that will send the car into limp mode.

The fix is simple. Shift manually. The car develops over 500 pound feet of torque at about 2000 RPMS. You don't need to be at 6000 RPM all of the time. (Only a very few M7 drivers have had issues because they always shift manually...because they have to. LOL.)

That lowers oil temps by 20 to 30 degrees.

This only affects guys who are advanced drivers, and is the subject of much animated debate among Z06 owners. Guys go out to Thunderhill and turn 2:20 laps and say, "The car doesn't overheat." LOL. I have actually proposed that anyone posting a track report must list the Spec Miata record for the track to allow people to gauge how fast the Z06 is being driven so a claim that "The car isn't overheating, and you people are idiots" can be evaluated properly. I have found that the folks on Planet 9 have always been more open to discussions about technical issues. Also, there don't seem to be 10 people making comments for very actual owner. LOL.

Just to be clear, the transmission has no issue with overheating. It is the engine. If you drove a Cayman and kept the revs as high as the D program in Track Mode, it would probably overheat, too. In the video, it was 85 degrees and manual shifting = no heat issues. If the car was in D, it would have selected a gear lower at most points around the track. You can see that as series of turns that might call for 3rd or even 2nd-3rd in a Cayman can be taken in 4th because of the crazy torque.

You get used to that torque. It feels like a Tesla.

Not being able to drive in D on the track on a hot day is a small sacrifice for the insane performance otherwise. As noted earlier, the lateral grip is almost unbelievable. Very neutral. Confidence inspiring. Then you pop out the roof panel, switch to Stealth exhaust mode, set the suspension to Tour or Sport, turn on the air-conditioned seats and drive home shaking your head in amazement.

The voice activation system even pronounces names and places correctly. Amazing.

IMG_3250.JPG
IMG_3422.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts