Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems like these standing mile runs are popping up in small pockets in different parts of the country - Miami and Texas are two I'm aware of, there are probably anothers. They are put together by organizers like: http://www.topgunrun.com/, Mile Marker 1, and others. Runs are done at long, not normally in use airstrips. So, you are probably won't find one of these events at, say... the Hartsfield International. The mile run goal is stupid simple - see how fast your car can go in a mile.
Participants pay an entry fee ($100 - $400/car), and you can run as many times as you are queued up - much like those Friday night 1/4 mile runs at the local drag strips.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to take my Boxster S at an event hosted by milemarker-1.com at the Dade-Collier airport (2 mile long strip that's primarily used by 747s pilots to practice touch & go). I made 3 passes with my 2008 Boxster S, and was hitting between 150 to 153mph (per GPS) at the end of the mile. That's really not that bad - car has FVD tuned, Fabspeed header + cat & Remus exhaust). Current model Vettes (and there were plenty) were running 160s, and stock Z06s were running in mid 170s. Nissan 350Zs, as with N/A NSXs were in the high 140s. A turbo'ed NSX was in mid-160s. Sport bikes are in a different league - a couple were in the low 200mph - insane! Someone showed up in a shifter kart with a 1000cc yamaha bike engine... ran a 183mph. Yeah... keep arms inside at all times. :)

Here are some pix...

I have a short video and will post that later.

Yes, yes... Porsches are not made for straight line, etc. But I think these standing miles run is one of those car things you do for the fun of it. Now I can say...yeah, I've done that.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very nice, I hit 175 in the 997tt there last year, it was damn hot though ...
Thanks Schwabe! The day turned out to be pretty good... mostly overcast early part of the day, with a slight tail breeze. Temperature in my car showed 85 degrees for three of my runs.

With your turbo, I'm sure sitting in queue (~20 minutes or wait) heat soaking the intercoolers didn't help. I was thinking... maybe you could use a couple cans of those compressed airs to just cool down the intercoolers right before the run.

For anyone interested in the results:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlrRWxeRmIAldDZRLTRKVXdHa3V6M2hTcUtpa0ZNNGc&hl=en

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
With your turbo, I'm sure sitting in queue (~20 minutes or wait) heat soaking the intercoolers didn't help. I was thinking... maybe you could use a couple cans of those compressed airs to just cool down the intercoolers right before the run.
Some dude here with an EVO, on a hot day put an load of ice into his intercooler. Dedication or just nuts? :crazy:

·
Registered
337 Posts
sounds like a lot of fun! I live in Sarasota so I'd love to make it over for that sometime--especially if I get a CS here over the next few months, although it would still be quite fun in my S2000 I'd imagine.
Do they not give you printed time slips for each run (similar to what you'd get at a dragstrip)?

That black ZO6 looks really familiar--I think I followed him home from Miami a few weeks ago on alligator alley--if that's the same one it sounded MEAN--sweet car!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like a lot of fun! I live in Sarasota so I'd love to make it over for that sometime--especially if I get a CS here over the next few months, although it would still be quite fun in my S2000 I'd imagine.
Do they not give you printed time slips for each run (similar to what you'd get at a dragstrip)?

That black ZO6 looks really familiar--I think I followed him home from Miami a few weeks ago on alligator alley--if that's the same one it sounded MEAN--sweet car!
Yup, they do give you a timeslip with your car number and time. If you saw NastyZO6 on a Saturday late afternoon a few weeks back, he was probably heading home from our monthly Lunch @ Hooters gtg. Yeah, that car is nutz. He broke into 190mph according to GPS.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yup, they do give you a timeslip with your car number and time. If you saw NastyZO6 on a Saturday late afternoon a few weeks back, he was probably heading home from our monthly Lunch @ Hooters gtg. Yeah, that car is nutz. He broke into 190mph according to GPS.
Wow, what's the Z06 have done to it? Sounded like it was blown but I couldn't quite tell. He got off in Naples so I'm guessing that's where he lives
I had stopped at the only gas station about 1/2 way down alligator alley and saw his car in the parking lot, then he left right as I was leaving, so I followed him out onto 75--he got on it going down the on ramp and I followed suit--of course he left me behind some but it was a great sound coming from that exhaust! LOUD!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.