Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But this post would make one think otherwise.

So I am making the 150 mile drive to our West Coast corporate campus yesterday as I do every week or two and my mind drifted as it often does to thoughts of my Cayman and how enjoyable it is, even for a longish freeway drive. I was laughing at myself for being so lazy as to let my car get so dirty, and for the fact that my track pads and wheels have been on the car since my last track outing which was a long time ago. I like to get some use out of the center of my track tires before I cord the shoulders, so I leave them on sometimes.

I was thinking how funny it was that my 19 inch OEM tires were nearly showroom new looking and I thought about putting a silly picture of them in a silly post saying something like, "Are my tires supposed to look like this after 22,000 miles?" Ha ha. They have spent more time off the car than on the car.

Then I started thinking about how it was actually nice driving on my 18 inch wheels, comfort wise...and I remembered how the last time I had new track tires put on them the tire shop showed me how two of my wheels were "practically egg shaped" and could not really be perfectly balanced.

"You must have whacked something pretty hard.", he told me.

Yet even at 120 mph, they had no shake or shimmy. They were still just fine, thank you very much. I debated getting them "trued", but then just forgot about it because they seemed fine.

About 50 miles into my drive a rare thing happened. ANOTHER CAYMAN entered the freeway.:eek: I see so few of them, that it is always an exciting event. It was a nice dark blue 2.7, and when the driver was alongside we gave each other a friendly wave and smile. I should have left it at that.

But, noooooo...that ain't me. I am WAY too passionate about these stupid cars for that. I decide to gently pull over two lanes of nice empty freeway to give my Cayman brother a nice Borla salute as he exited the freeway. I glanced to the right just at exactly the wrong time.

Some giant hunk of hard, shiny metal was sitting in the middle of the road. I saw it just in time to realize why the freeway safety patrol guy was standing waiting to run out into the middle of the road.

WHACK. I nailed it. It was a sickening sound. My steering wheel started shaking violently. I was certain my left front tire was blown. At least.

My first thought was "I better have that ****ing wheel lock key with me." (note to fellow owners...don't leave it outside the car...ever...)

I pulled off the freeway and onto a frontage road, then into a parking lot. I got out expecting the worst. I always expect the worst. But, I could find absolutely no evidence that anything had happened. I laid out a towel I keep under the front ice chest lid (the bonnet) and look under the car. Nothing. Not a scratch.

I got back in the car and started driving away. As my speed crept past 45mph the steering wheel started shaking a little bit, but not a lot...but there was a sensation that the left front wheel was quite a bit more "square" than it had been before the hit the piece of UFO. "Egg shaped" would have been an improvement. 65 mph was as fast as was comfortable to drive. The shake wasn't so bad, but the sensation of riding on a "Fred Flintstone" wheel was un-nerving. Turning back was not an option, and I made the round trip home tonight without incident, but with a recruited friend following me to be safe.

As I sit writing this, I am wearing my new Porsche Cayman Twin Speed watch I bought on eBay last week. It was waiting for me when I got home. Funny.

So tonight I will read my new watch manual, and drift off to sleep wondering what the results will be of the inspection at the dealership I have scheduled...and debating the pros and cons of my new track wheel options.

God bless you if you read this all the way through. ;) And thanks to the many friends I have made here over the years.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wow 22,000 miles on them.... I think I get about 8K :)

Glad you did not blow the tire!

I had a similar situation on my first track day. Was going around the track, front right tire was shaking like mad, thought for sure I broke something! So I pulled off after 10 minutes of driving. We jacked it up and look it over for anything loose or broken... Nothing, then some one walked up and pulled a golf ball size piece of rubber clag off the wheel... we all laughed, and went back out.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks for the read. I've found myself in a near miss situation after saluting another Porsche. Live and learn. I hope everything turns out alright, be sure to update us after your inspection at the dealer :cheers:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice read Dave and glad things are ok. It reminded me of hit I had a long time ago in my FC RX7. I was on the 405 freeway going way faster than I should have when all of a sudden the car in front of me swerved. Once it was out of the lane, I saw what it was avoiding: a big hunk of metal!. I had no choice but to hit it because I had cars on either side of me. It was a horrible sound and I knew something was damaged. I pulled over immediately and as I got out, I noticed a huge trail of liquid POURING out from behind the car. It was a dead square hit to the fuel tank. I ran as fast as I could away from the car and called the fire dept.

Moral of the story: you are very lucky. Bad hits on the highway can really suck! :)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Enjoyed the read and yes i did read it all the way through.Hope your not going anywhere? Your last sentence almost sounded like a farewell.Godbless you too.Even though i have been here only a short while i look forward too your posts and sense of humour.Thanks......

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Enjoyable story. Good luck getting that wheel fixed/replaced.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
1st post in a while that didn't cause my drink to back up thru my nostril from laughing, glad it's all good so far.........fever???

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
1st post in a while that didn't cause my drink to back up thru my nostril from laughing, glad it's all good so far.........fever???
Do you mean you still drank through your nostrils but it wasn't from laughing this time?:taunt:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts