Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out looking at lights with my wife tonight. While going about 3 miles an hour I ran into a curb. Not only did it trash the lower bumper, it managed to smash the radiator and I lost my coolant really quickly. Once I realized what had happened I shut the car down. Probably ran for about 30 seconds as the coolant was dumping out. After sitting for some time, the coolant temp was stuck at 261 right outside of the RED zone. I don't think I did any real damage to the engine but I am worried.

And I have a pretty good chunk out of the tire as well as a nice bit of curb rash.

Going to need a new radiator, two new tires, front lower bumper cover, splash pan, alignment, coolant and paint. I am guessing about $4K and a week in the shop :(

I am super bummed and mad at myself :(

Scott

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was out looking at lights with my wife tonight. While going about 3 miles an hour I ran into a curb. Not only did it trash the lower bumper, it managed to smash the radiator and I lost my coolant really quickly. Once I realized what had happened I shut the car down. Probably ran for about 30 seconds as the coolant was dumping out. After sitting for some time, the coolant temp was stuck at 261 right outside of the RED zone. I don't think I did any real damage to the engine but I am worried.

And I have a pretty good chunk out of the tire as well as a nice bit of curb rash.

Going to need a new radiator, two new tires, front lower bumper cover, splash pan, alignment, coolant and paint. I am guessing about $4K and a week in the shop :(

View attachment 265877 View attachment 265878

Scott
Ouch!! Really sorry to see this. Good luck getting everything fixed.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Scott
Man I feel for you! I'm personally aware of that sick, punch in the gut feeling. I hope I'm wrong in your case, but I think there is the possibility of another puch coming when you see the quote for repair. I had a 986 Boxster that was damaged in a similar way in my parking garage. A woman cutting between parked cars where I couldn't see her coming pulled out into the drive lane as I passed by into the right front corner of my bumper and wheel causing the radiator to dump coolant on the spot. The collision itself was not much and less than 5mph, but the damage was very similar to what Im seeing on your car.

I insisted all repairs be done at my Porsche dealership which her insurance agreed to do, and the cost was over 10K to repair my at the time 10 year old car from that simple low speed collision. Of course it will all depend on what they find if anything that you cant see externally at the moment. Good luck and hopefully this won't turn out be a huge deal like mine did

·
Registered
32 Posts

Scott
Accidents such as this are so much worse when it's your fault. I suspect the repair job is more in the neighborhood of $8K+.

Good luck . .

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sorry for this tragedy but it can be repaired. I am guessing, if you go to a Porsche authorized facility, you are looking at more than $4k. Stuff happens to us all! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I feel your pain
Good luck getting it repaired
You have collision insurance ?
If so, this is collision; whether your fault or not it is covered and your insurance should be footing the bill not you.
If you have a clean driving record and few to no prior claims I would report it to your insurance company
and if they ask why reported late explain that you didn't realize it was covered.
I worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance for 38 years but in Auditing not claims.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I feel your pain
Good luck getting it repaired
You have collision insurance ?
If so, this is collision; whether your fault or not it is covered and your insurance should be footing the bill not you.
If you have a clean driving record and few to no prior claims I would report it to your insurance company
and if they ask why reported late explain that you didn't realize it was covered.
I worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance for 38 years but in Auditing not claims.
The problem isnt so much that he will be on hook for the expensive repair assuming he does have collision which is likely he does. The problem is this expensive repair is going to go on Carfax which will devalue the car further adding further insult to injury. And in my case I was double screwed over by my insurance company despite them not paying a dime on an accident that wasnt my fault to begin with.

I had been with Allstate for 20 years and not a single claim. I get hit in parking garage and simply let my agent know that there was an accident as I am supposed to do and that I am working with the other persons insurance and they are taking care of everything.

That single 2 minute call was my only contact with my insurance company. I never filed a claim with Allstate of any kind yet they immediately placed me as a "high risk" so my insurance almost doubled! I dumped their sorry asses immediately. 20 years and never a dime paid out for anything and they screw me over, so unfortunately there may be more long term pain for him coming, especially since this one was his fault.

Many people unfortunately will just pay out of pocket for repairs to prevent getting screwed over and dropped by their insurance companies which can make it practically impossible to get anyone else to take you if it happens or you will pay ridiculous rates for years after. It's sad that we pay a lifetime for a service and are too scared many times to even use it when the rare time occurs that its actually needed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The problem isnt so much that he will be on hook for the expensive repair assuming he does have collision which is likely he does. The problem is this expensive repair is going to go on Carfax which will devalue the car further adding further insult to injury. And in my case I was double screwed over by my insurance company despite them not paying a dime on an accident that wasnt my fault to begin with.

I had been with Allstate for 20 years and not a single claim. I get hit in parking garage and simply let my agent know that there was an accident as I am supposed to do and that I am working with the other persons insurance and they are taking care of everything.

That single 2 minute call was my only contact with my insurance company. I never filed a claim with Allstate of any kind yet they immediately placed me as a "high risk" so my insurance almost doubled! I dumped their sorry asses immediately. 20 years and never a dime paid out for anything and they screw me over, so unfortunately there may be more long term pain for him coming, especially since this one was his fault.

Many people unfortunately will just pay out of pocket for repairs to prevent getting screwed over and dropped by their insurance companies which can make it practically impossible to get anyone else to take you if it happens or you will pay ridiculous rates for years after. It's sad that we pay a lifetime for a service and are too scared many times to even use it when the rare time occurs that its actually needed.
Truly what you described should be illegal. You were not at fault and did nothing wrong. Yet, you are penalized trying to do the right thing! Paying them over the years and no claims should at the very least give you some type of goodwill on their part. Sad and disgusting.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Truly what you described should be illegal. You were not at fault and did nothing wrong. Yet, you are penalized trying to do the right thing! Paying them over the years and no claims should at the very least give you some type of goodwill on their part. Sad and disgusting.
I agree, the way some insurance companies behave should be illegal. There are so many stories of insurance companies in the US dumping clients after paying out one single claim despite them paying their premiums for many years trouble free prior. They want our money but have zero interest in helping out when needed or will punish you, and in my case they weren't even involved and still punished me.

I actually switched over to the insurance company of the person that hit me because they were so great to work with during my repair. They were in constant contact with me and didn't bat an eye when taking my car to Porsche for repair and paid the over 10K bill without question. In the end my policy was even cheaper that what Allstate was charging me before any of this ever occurred and I have been happy for years afterward now.

I'm sure not all insurance companies are like this and hope things go smoothly for the OP

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I agree, the way some insurance companies behave should be illegal. There are so many stories of insurance companies in the US dumping clients after paying out one single claim despite them paying their premiums for many years trouble free prior. They want my money but have zero interest in helping out when needed or will punish you

In may case I actually switched over to the insurance company of the person that hit me because they were so great to work with during my repair. They were in constant contact with me and didn't bat an eye when taking my car to Porsche for repair and paid the over 10K bill without question. In the end my policy was even cheaper that what Allstate was charging me before any of this ever occurred and I have been happy for years afterward now.
Wow, interesting story, I have always had a bad feeling about making a claim, you pay year after year without a single claim and then boom, now you're a high risk client... our system up here essentially penalizes you for any at fault claim, and it does so for years.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Wow, interesting story, I have always had a bad feeling about making a claim, you pay year after year without a single claim and then boom, now you're a high risk client... our system up here essentially penalizes you for any at fault claim, and it does so for years.
I escalated the issue as high as I could go with them, but they didn't care. They told me I drove a car that was expensive to repair and was involved in an accident, therefore I was "high risk"

I also had a homeowners policy with them and they cancelled that as well at my next renewal because I was single at the time so the underwriter claimed my home was high risk because no one was home during the day. I guess people dont go to work in their world! It was clearly more punishment for trying to fight for my rights and then cancelling my auto policy refusing to be extorted by them. I will never go near Allstate again.

·
Registered
945 Posts

Truly what you described should be illegal. You were not at fault and did nothing wrong. Yet, you are penalized trying to do the right thing! Sad and disgusting. Paying them over the years and no claims should at the very least give you some type of goodwill on their part.
I agree, the way some insurance companies behave should be illegal. There are so many stories of insurance companies in the US dumping clients after paying out one single claim despite them paying their premiums for many years trouble free prior. They want our money but have zero interest in helping out when needed or will punish you, and in my case they weren't even involved and still punished me.

I actually switched over to the insurance company of the person that hit me because they were so great to work with during my repair. They were in constant contact with me and didn't bat an eye when taking my car to Porsche for repair and paid the over 10K bill without question. In the end my policy was even cheaper that what Allstate was charging me before any of this ever occurred and I have been happy for years afterward now.

I'm sure not all insurance companies are like this and hope things go smoothly for the OP
I went with Nationwide because our home is under them. So far they have been very good with a few minor accidents in the past. What I don't like is when companies go to arbitration, I sometimes wonder how hard they fight for you if you are in the right. My wife was hit by a kid on his cell phone and they could not prove his actions cause the accident. She was basically T boned, she had to eat the deductible on her claim. In another case (not Nationwide) my daughter was driving through a parking lot looking for a space, a young kid pulled right out of a space without looking. The insurance company would not review the store's camera recording because no one was hurt. My daughter had to pay her deductible even though he was clearly at fault. So yeah, insurance companies get away not paying anyway they could.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Truly what you described should be illegal. You were not at fault and did nothing wrong. Yet, you are penalized trying to do the right thing! Sad and disgusting. Paying them over the years and no claims should at the very least give you some type of goodwill on their part.

I went with Nationwide because our home is under them. So far they have been very good with a few minor accidents in the past. What I don't like is when companies go to arbitration, I sometimes wonder how hard they fight for you if you are in the right. My wife was hit by a kid on his cell phone and they could not prove his actions cause the accident. She was basically T boned, she had to eat the deductible on her claim. In another case (not Nationwide) my daughter was driving through a parking lot looking for a space, a young kid pulled right out of a space without looking. The insurance company would not review the store's camera recording because no one was hurt. My daughter had to pay her deductible even though he was clearly at fault. So yeah, insurance companies get away not paying anyway they could.
The parking lot situation might have had a different outcome with dash cam footage. I'm considering installing one in my next P-car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I totally agree. Actually a dash cam can save your butt in many of these situations! (Unless you are at fault!!!)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I

Scott
I would try to fix myself. Look for a wrecked donor parts car with rear end damage, and buy the bumper, rad, etc. http://car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
It seems I touched a nerve and added many posts to this one. Really sorry to hear how badly some of you were treated by your insurance companies. I know Liberty would pay such a claim and then cancel you as a non-renewal. You probably wouldn't do this but you could contact your state Insurance Department .to complaint about how you were handled. You would still probably get a non-renewal.
For those who had another party paying the claim; doubly sorry for your pain.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just so you don't feel so bad, I ate a curb with the edge of the front bumper and side skirt as well, but luckily no radiator damage.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,733 Posts
Bummer, but in the big picture it's just a blip on the space-time continuum...
Not trying to diminish your pain, as I've BTDT. It sure is a hollow feeling, to damage your car, ego, and wallet simultaneously. Just trying to add a little perspective. Here's hoping for a quick resolution, so you can get back to enjoying your ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts