Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
I tried a search and appears my screw up is not common.

What is involved in terms of cost and steps to get a new key? I am ok w/ fed x my existing key if someone like Suncoast can program. My sales guy left my dealership, and its 150 miles away, so I am seeking options and advice. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
What is involved in terms of cost and steps to get a new key? I am ok w/ fed x my existing key if someone like Suncoast can program. My sales guy left my dealership, and its 150 miles away, so I am seeking options and advice. Thanks!
Your dealership is 150 miles away? Boston to NYC is 200 miles. You must have 7 or 8 dealers within an hour drive.

In any case, I forget the cost of a Porsche key, maybe $150, then another $130 or so to program it. You can't have it mailed to you. You must bring the car AND all the other keys to them. I think they need to use PIWIS. So call your closest dealer parts dept. Tell them you need a key. Make sure it comes in, then go drive there, bring your other keys, and they can set you up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It will cost a pretty penny for sure. $280 seems a little low(just the plastic trim piece for the key cost $120!). Ask the Parts dept at your dealership like chow said.

Gone are the days when we can just get an extra key cut for $2.50.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
It will cost a pretty penny for sure. $280 seems a little low(just the plastic trim piece for the key cost $120!). Ask the Parts dept at your dealership like chow said.

Gone are the days when we can just get an extra key cut for $2.50.
Your right. I was being optimistic. To get an idea see 2013 Porsche Boxster Parts - Porsche OEM Parts - Genuine Factory Parts Accessories - Wholesale

$275 for the key, $130 to program. Maybe $400 total. That does sound about right. Yeah, lesson learned. Do not lose a key.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TX yes I can drive to one near Boston, I was just wondering if there was an alternative. Thamk you for the info. I just realized I lost it tonight, so I was reaching out, frustrated at my stupidity, and seeking some guidance,

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no idea how, but lost one key. I have separate key chains for each car and never take the key out unless I am driving the Porsche, which is in the garage. So logic dictates that the key is somewhere in the house. After four months I gave up and got a new key. Cost with programming was $550 :(

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hope this never happens to me, but curious if the outrageous cost of the key includes cutting the 'emergency' physical key. If it does, then it's not that outrageous. Ha ha. And as a side comment, that's why I wanted 'entry and drive', so the key never gets out of my pocket. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Ach . . . these modern keys buy us so very little that the old $2.50 keys did not. Like we can't open the door for ourselves--we need a damned button? I hate 'em. 'Sorry about your misfortune.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Your right. I was being optimistic. To get an idea see 2013 Porsche Boxster Parts - Porsche OEM Parts - Genuine Factory Parts Accessories - Wholesale

$275 for the key, $130 to program. Maybe $400 total. That does sound about right. Yeah, lesson learned. Do not lose a key.
If you get it from the dealer the price for the fob and the emergency key, don't forget about the emergency key, will cost around $400. The programming of the key like any other service will vary by dealer, but expect that the total price for the fob, emergency key, and programming to cost around $500. Some Insurance policies will cover the cost of the key replacement and programming minus the deductible. It's not routine coverage, but it doesn't hurt to check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hope this never happens to me, but curious if the outrageous cost of the key includes cutting the 'emergency' physical key. If it does, then it's not that outrageous. Ha ha. And as a side comment, that's why I wanted 'entry and drive', so the key never gets out of my pocket. Good luck man.
Yes, that included the emergency key.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Losing a key is one thing. Losing the whole car is another. Anyone who finds that key can just go around pushing the button, until they find the car that blinks it's lights in response.

Your FIRST priority should be to protect your car against that.

Which brings me to the reason the dealer needs the car present- they're not programming the key to operate your car- they're programming the CAR to recognize the new key.

This is important, because the dealer can also "bump" the lost key out of your vehicle's memory, so that a criminal won't be able to use it to steal your car.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hah!

I fell for the old "thread from the dead". :)

Reactions: ensign83

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
[h=2]I screwed up lost 2015 cs key , options?[/h]
only vaguely related but... not sure how you messed up a key unless using it for a golf tee or opening beer bottles, none of my business actually. :cheers:

However, I got those silicone "key condoms" offered here a year or so back. A few days ago I absent-mindedly tossed my key to my wife who is even worse at catching things than I am. Feel on a brick surface. Horrors! No, not a mark on it. $9.99 well spent. YMMV.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Somewhere else I posted on my experience with getting a new key. $450 for real Porsche parts, electronics and programming.

But, what I learned was that (prior to programming) you could get a donor key with electronics, a new $15 key fob with key blank, and have a replacement key done for around $215, programming both keys for the new code.

I split the cost with my seller, paying $225 for new OEM key, cut and programmed. Then, I transplanted my old fugly Gen 1 key head guts into the $15 shell and it looks virtually identical to stock Gen 2. Weight is the same. Only the crest is distinguishable. Even the LED lights are the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts