Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am looking at ordering a Boxster GTS next week and know all the options that I want to order...except whether to go with PASM or X73.

I have done searches here and read threads...still cant decide. I really would like to get X73 for the rave reviews that it has been getting. My only concern is scraping from speedbumps, pulling into some parking lot entrances...etc. I live in Nova Scotia and the roads can be bad in places. Does the 10mm drop really make it noticeably lower than PASM when driving and pulling into parking lots?

What is the ground clearance for both PASM and X73? (When someone is in the car)

Finally, can people post pics that would show ground clearance with PASM and X73?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The front overhang seems long and easy to scrape on my PASM 981S.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The front overhang seems long and easy to scrape on my PASM 981S.
I agree with MidEngine-Fan as the front end of car is long. I am very careful and still have managed to scrape a couple times, not bad but I heard it scraped and I always move in an angle and slow. On the other hand I had a boxster 986 with the fixed sport suspension and I never scraped. I think that car front end was a bit higher.
I have 20" wheels with PASM.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found the values for X73 and PASM. 4.1 and 4.4 inches of ground clearance. Would those measurements be for if no one was in the car?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I found this a tricky choice too. My advice would be to drive PASM and x73 cars before your order is locked down. It's a lot to spend on a car if you always have a nagging doubt about having made the right choice about something as fundamental as the suspension.

I didn't have that chance, so went with PASM because of the very poor quality of about 70% of the roads I drive on and the very small chance I will ever take the car to a track. When I read reviews of the x73 and how direct it makes the steering etc, I still wonder about my choice. I aim to try an x73 car on my Porsche driving experience session next year and am prepared to come away with a sense of regret.

But at the moment I'm very pleased with PASM. After 6 years of BMW Z4M Coupe ownership (and loved every minute), I wanted a car with improved handling precision, greater composure on undulating road surfaces and better ability to absorb the bumps. I think the 981 Cayman with PASM has delivered all of these and more.

There is not as noticeable a difference between normal and sport modes in the 981 as there was in a 987.2 I test drove a few times. But for my uses, and bearing in mind the reason I moved away from the Z4, I would not want a less compliant suspension on the Cayman than PASM and I'm more than happy with the steering precision and turn-in.

Even with PASM I've had the odd slight scrape on the smallish local speed humps. These are humps my Z4 lowered on KW V3 suspension went over without a sound. So I'm pleased the Cayman is no lower than it is.

As for looks, I hope the photo below gives a good indication of tyre to wheel arch gaps with PASM and might also give you some idea of ground clearance.

Best of luck with the decision. You'll have a great car whatever you decide.

1.jpg

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the great write up! :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Agree and GTS is a bit longer than other 981s.

If I ordered boxster S, I would get x73 cuz it's cheaper and front is shorter. If I ordered GTS I would get PASM, cuz I pay the same for PASM and x73 and front is longer. Why would I pay the same for cheaper x73?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah I was going to mention that the GTS front fascia "significantly reduces approach angle" meaning you will scrape more frequently with it vs. an identically spec'd Cayman S. I have a GTS with PASM and I've scraped twice in the first 200mi in Southern California. Luckily it's been very minor and only on the small black plastic piece on the underside of the front bumper closer to the wheels.

I think PASM is awesome and I'm really glad I went with it. The wife even thinks it's a comfortable car!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ive had both,a 14 CS with PASM and a 15 CS with X73. They're both very good . Suspension tuning is somewhat of a black art . I prefer the sport suspension because the dampening on rebound is better. The sport suspension is stiff but it's not harsh .The factory did an excellent job of matching spring rates and shock dampening. The other reason I changed is for the track. Bottom line you can't go wrong with either. I measured both cars and the ride height is a half inch lower in the front and three quarters in the rear with the X73 vs PASM. Carl

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think people are a little paranoid. I have a 20mm drop on my Cayman and I have no scraping. I drive over speed bumps daily at work and my driveway is an incline. Both are non-issues.

BUT...the roads are flat and of pretty good quality here in Dallas, which makes a difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To improve handling you can order PASM and later add the X73 rollbars.
I think a good compromize

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm very happy with the X73 (on an S, not GTS), the nose is a little scraped, it doesn't bother me that much. I'm just careful over dips, speed bumps don't tend to be a problem.

We daily drive the Cayman, but we also do track and autocross, so we have a good excuse. The other thing that put me off the PASM was you can't control it. By all accounts the sport/normal is just a hint to the electronics and it'll do what it damn well pleases with regard to how it sees the road conditions. A friend with a 987 said he liked being able to turn them from soft to hard or back again as he pleases, but the impression I got is the 981 PASM doesn't really let you control it. I like the simplicity of having shocks which are correct for the suspension (there is a theory, to which I subscribe, that there is an optimal shock setting, for best performance, and any adjustment you make away from that is just fooling the driver.)

It's been put as the difference between analog and digital. I prefer my cars be more analog.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm very happy with the X73 (on an S, not GTS), the nose is a little scraped, it doesn't bother me that much. I'm just careful over dips, speed bumps don't tend to be a problem.

We daily drive the Cayman, but we also do track and autocross, so we have a good excuse. The other thing that put me off the PASM was you can't control it. By all accounts the sport/normal is just a hint to the electronics and it'll do what it damn well pleases with regard to how it sees the road conditions. A friend with a 987 said he liked being able to turn them from soft to hard or back again as he pleases, but the impression I got is the 981 PASM doesn't really let you control it. I like the simplicity of having shocks which are correct for the suspension (there is a theory, to which I subscribe, that there is an optimal shock setting, for best performance, and any adjustment you make away from that is just fooling the driver.)

It's been put as the difference between analog and digital. I prefer my cars be more analog.
You can adjust PASM from softer to firmer but you can't turn off the dynamic adjustment. Both my wife and mom can tell a difference if I have it set to softer or firmer.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Exactly what I said, you can give it a hint, but it does what it pleases.
ummm ... that's not exactly what you said.

This is my third new Porsche, I'll never own another without PASM. I want the ability to go from softer or firmer personality at the push of a button, as I please.

Reactions: Pokerhobo

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great feedback! Thanks everyone. I was thinking that if I go with PASM, I would look at adding those X73 components to improve handling more.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Great feedback! Thanks everyone. I was thinking that if I go with PASM, I would look at adding those X73 components to improve handling more.
I added the X73 RSB on my 14 PASM when i had it. It sharpened the turn in but also made the rear a little looser . i wouldn't spend the time and money on the front bar just do the rear. carl

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
On one hand, the ground clearance for a base 981 is roughly 4.25" to 4.5" unloaded. That ain't much.
On the other hand, a 10mm drop is only 3/8" or approx. 0.38"; which ain't much.

So...with or without the drop due to PASM, you need to pay attention to what you're doing; as the front end will scrape fairly easily on deep drain gutters, steep driveway entries, and will hit tall curbs. I go over/thru stuff like that at a crawl and at an angle. I have PASM and haven't had any problems, but that doesn't mean I can drive it anywhere - there are a few places in my neighborhood where the entry ramps are too steep for that car. Which is one of several reasons I don't use it as my DD.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hi there. I am looking at ordering a Boxster GTS next week and know all the options that I want to order...except whether to go with PASM or X73.

I have done searches here and read threads...still cant decide. I really would like to get X73 for the rave reviews that it has been getting. My only concern is scraping from speedbumps, pulling into some parking lot entrances...etc. I live in Nova Scotia and the roads can be bad in places. Does the 10mm drop really make it noticeably lower than PASM when driving and pulling into parking lots?

What is the ground clearance for both PASM and X73? . . . .?
Two things, first if you have already made the leap/choice from $00 for the OEM "base" suspension to the extra costs of PASM, or X73 flip a fr$&/-?!g coin.

2nd, if you can't get around a road circuit in pretty much the same time in a PASM vs. x73, IMO the issue isn't the car or the suspension choice.

If, what you want is the most "flexibility" -> PASM. OTOH, if want you want is "I am very fast, I must run in the advanced track group" by all means, pick the x73. In, again only in my limited, jaundiced experience/opinion, don't tell any one till you are sure you haven't been passed on the track by one of the "lesser" OEM base suspension &/or PASM equipped cars. I've said "track" because the OEM base +20mm, or PASM + 10mm height settings will probably be driving happy circles around the x73 over speed bump stops and drive way entrance ramp approaches etc.

If what one really wants is a full out race car, well other solutions to that beckon My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: omidoo250
1 - 20 of 30 Posts