Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a few weeks of ownership with my 981 Cayman S with 20" wheels and the X73 suspension package I think I found its biggest con:

It might be the worst car to try and drink coffee in! Even with a small travel mug with protective lid, the stiff ride makes this a difficult proposition if you don't want to wear some of your coffee. :cool:LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, but a self inflicted injury. Why on earth people mix hot drinks with driving an automobile is a mystery to me. Can't it wait?
OttawaSteve.... It's a hard habit to break as my last car was a Lexus LS460. With that car I don't think I even needed a travel mug. Of course it wasn't near as much fun to drive.

·
Registered
760 Posts
On a trip in an old but loyal Ford Escape with appropriate holders and going down the highway on what equates to a living room sofa? Fine, drink up, spill some? It's a truck it will wipe up. In a sports car? Nope. No food, smoke or pocket pens in my Porsche. Next year I'm going back to VA in my Porsche, hitting some Bed and breakfasts on the route and making a car memory, that's the plan anyhow, I'll stop to get a cup of joe when I buy gas.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
OttawaSteve.... It's a hard habit to break as my last car was a Lexus LS460. With that car I don't think I even needed a travel mug. Of course it wasn't near as much fun to drive.
It’s likely an urban legend, but I was told that in the 90’s VW of America and their Canadian counterparts were complaining about the complete lack of cupholders in the cars they were selling. Each time they lodged a complaint they’d get back a response similar to (said in my worst German accent): “Zee car is for driving… not for eating in!”

Eventually though they hosted some of VWs top engineers at North America conference. They bundled them all up into a bunch of cars and drove them all through a drive-through (which of course they had never seen before).

The engineers remarked that they had nowhere to put their drinks and the following year the cars started to arrive with cupholders.

T-Design has a robust cupholder (I don’t own one so can’t say how good it is) so you may want to pair that up with a good sealable mug (or child sippy cup?).

For me, there are times I want to be 100% focused on driving, and other times I just want to chill on my way to my destination with a nice hot coffee. But I am more of the Grand Touring persuasion rather than the “wring every ounce out of her on every trip” kinda guy.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Some would argue that you should be 100% focused on driving 100% of the time. That doesn't happen outside of racing, but distraction is a huge contributor to accidents. I would think that spilling hot coffee on your crotch would most likely lead to at least some distraction.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well, after a few weeks of ownership with my 981 Cayman S with 20" wheels and the X73 suspension package I think I found its biggest con:

It might be the worst car to try and drink coffee in! Even with a small travel mug with protective lid, the stiff ride makes this a difficult proposition if you don't want to wear some of your coffee. :cool:LOL
Not to mention the cup holders don’t cooperate!

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Some would argue that you should be 100% focused on driving 100% of the time. That doesn't happen outside of racing, but distraction is a huge contributor to accidents. I would think that spilling hot coffee on your crotch would most likely lead to at least some distraction.
If you want an exercise in focus you should try getting stung on the crotch by a bee while doing some spirited riding on a motorcycle. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
531 Posts
OK fellas, I get the whole it's a Porsche and not your Buick. Really I do.
But in the morning on the way to work, once I hit the part of the drive that is cruise control straight as an arrow, I ain't driving as much as riding. Even as analog as a 987 manual is, it does have cruise control and cup holders.

So I lose my Porsche-man card for taking a sip of my freshly brewed Espresso based longblack? 🤣

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Off topic, not commenting on OP.

I am about to leave Venice airport for Paris now. Italians have this campaign going on that posts on all idle electronic signs on the highway

#guidaebasta

meaning roughly when you drive, just drive. It ain't a restaurant, bar, office, kindergarten, petting zoo, living room ir who knows what even worse.

Second, I am fully convinced that, if drive-throughs disappeared organically (not being pushed to extinction by law, but because nobody uses them), you would see a minimum of 33% drop in number of crashes, injuries and possibly fatalities. It's not burger and big gulp that will kill you (well, they will - eventually :) ), but false conviction that you can multi-task. Until you can't.

Finally, yes, I even turn my phone off when I intend to drive my Cayman. Radio was never turned on in 5+ years while it was moving.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: OttawaSteve

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That must have something to do with 20" tires. I have X73 with 19" tires and love the ride. Not harsh at all, just right.
+1. I've had the X73 with 19" rims since day one. The OEM tires --Pzero--had firm sidewalls and on bad roads you felt every jolt. I switched tires to Conti Extreme Sport, the softer side wall made a significant difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
X73 and 20” BGTS here and no ride issues. i love coffee but my strat is only cold brew or iced with cover and straw and keep it tween your legs until at least half done then maybe.. the cupholder.
ps i cant see how u could work an MT with any open cup drink lol..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've driven a million miles, mostly a side effect of having had a traveling salesman sort of a career.
I have seen mostly everything there is to see in the way of people doing things when they are supposed to be driving.
I pride myself on paying attention to my driving, and what the cars and drivers around me are doing.
BUT I really like a cup of coffee in the morning.
With the right travel mug, the Boxster cup holders work reasonably well. But I recommend taking the on ramps gently.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Indeed. It's a car. People commute in cars. People drink coffee in cars on commutes. When I get hot coffee I get a large and pour some out so it doesn't spill as much. Dunks (I'm in Boston) has little plastic plugs that go in the drink hole that help a lot too. Just keep it plugged while not drinking.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Swiftse3 I recommend yoga and the Mc Kensie book of spine exercises. I'm sure I've driven the same amount and the suspension and seat springs do not entirely save your precious spinal discs. I have other issues there but a lot of my contemporaries who drove the same ended up with spine issues. I drank a ton of coffee in those cars and smoked cigars in them with my suit in the trunk and made phone calls from the bag bolted to the car floor. It was a company car, personal choices!

·
Registered
73 Posts
@ Boris...Yes, L5 disk is particularly compressed. No cigars in the car for me, but I still occasionally call it a "car phone". My kids laugh at me, of course.

·
Vendor
6,496 Posts
And the stock cupholders are a huge distraction, without a doubt. Trying to put a coffee mug there and make sure it's somewhat secured and won't fly - is a task that requires full attention and both hands....

Thant's why we came up with proper cupholder. That allows for easy, intuitive, fast, one hand use, with no need to look at it:

Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
107 Posts

I have 20" wheels (but not X73). I switched to Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires and I lowered tire psi to "comfort" mode 30psi and it made a noticeable difference.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts