Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car a few weeks ago from a non-Porsche dealer. They serviced it at a Saab dealer, replacing some brake pads and sensors (used all OEM Porsche parts), and they also did an oil change (no filter change as far as I can tell). The invoice lists 5W30 Oil, but what makes me wonder that the quart only costs $3.30. So, I'm wondering if they may have used non-synthetic oil. Should I get this changed as soon as possible? I don't want to risk damage to my engine because of the wrong oil.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I would definitely do an oil and filter change.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yes, change the oil. When you do (if you DIY), warm the car up a little bit and let the oil drain a good long time, a couple hours or more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Absolutely and positively, definitely do an oil change with Porsche approved oil, usually Mobil1 0w40.
The 5W30 is much too lightweight for a Porsche & definitely NOT recommended by Porsche.
Also change your oil filter using a genuine Porsche, Mann, or Mahle filter. Every 5K/ 6 months.
I am using Motul 8100 XCell 5w40 fully synthetic, per my mechanic who replaced my IMS BEARING. it is also Porsche approved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
agree and agree.. i bought mine from carmax. then i took it to music city p&a where they redid the oil change, inspected the car and made me feel much better psychologically:dance:
fred from nashville

·
Registered
574 Posts
Show your engine some love and give it Joe Gibbs DT40.

Reactions: Porsche987

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I called the dealer and they told me that they used Castrol GTX SynBlend. YIKES! I'll get an oil and filter change done asap. I already had a full inspection done by my trusted indy Porsche mechanic, but skipped over the oil change because I didn't realize until now what oil they used... Also need to get the rear wheel bearing replaced soon, though not really a surprise on a car with 83k miles. [h=1][/h]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts