Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I confess.

I made a passionate purchase of an 07 Base Boxster in Speed Yellow with Cayman S wheels and a few tasteful options. It was the color that did it for me. When I said "I'll take it" I think I forgot all about the "S" factor. I just saw a cool yellow Porsche Boxster in front of me and had to have THAT ONE RIGHT NOW. I actually went in to this specialty car dealer (Auto Assets in Powell, Ohio), looking for an old 911 Targa. The owner knew from my previous car that I would not be happy with an old car like the old Targa and said that a guy like me would be spending all of my time trying to make an old car perfect. He was right. Little did he know that my back-up plan was a Boxster. Lucky for me, he had just taken in on trade (for a C4S I think) an 07 Boxster with only 9800 miles on the clock. He took me in to the back where they were washing the car for the first time. It was a filthy mess. The previous owner was a Doctor who I guess liked dirty Porsche's. It appeared that this car was "his civic" based on it level of clean. I didn't care. It was love at first site.

I had to get out of there quick or before I pulled the trigger on this one. Not two hours later, I called the dealer back, asking if the car was ready for a showing. Chip said, come on in and have a better look. When I got there it was like a second date with a new woman. The car looked great. Chip slapped on a tag and said let's go for a drive. Roads were salty but I wanted a piece of this car now. 15 minutes later it was all over. My first drive in a Boxster, period, and after a hasty winter-time out of season offer of $29,900 I was the owner of this awesome car. A couple days later, Chip, the owner of Auto Assets, delivers it to my house to avoid the slush and overall wintery roads.

I had no problem enjoying my car without even driving it as I waited for the roads to thaw out. I gave it a good detail. Better than any car before. I even bought a lift to really get her clean. My childhood dream is finally taking place. I also spent coutless hours reading all kinds of posts to get up to speed on my new aquisition. This is where the whole "S" thing comes to light. "Did I make a mistake and buy the wrong car?" I am green to this Porsche world. Did I need an "S"? "I always buy the best." "What did I do?" I guess only time will tell when I finally get this thing on the road full-time this spring.

I have since then done a pretty decent amount of driving in my boxster. Enough to come to a conclusion. I will truly say that this is one of the best personal investments I have made when it comes to cars. It did a great job of replacing my 2005 Honda S2000. The ride is much more compliant and is more sure-footed on fast corners than the S2k ever was. The back end warns you before it gets loose. The Honda sends you a memo after it happens! I don't get beat up when I just want to cruise. The fit and finish is far superior to the S2000. Road noise and cockpit noise on the S2000 was out of control. The Porsche is serene in comparison. The Base Boxster feels faster (although there are pretty equal on paper) due to something I never experienced on the S2000...torque. I find myself staying much lower on the tach more often.

Now, I never experienced what the Boxster S has to offer and I'm not sure I want to at this point. It would be unfair to my new yellow girlfriend. Afterall, how much is enough? I fell for an awesome car that is rewarding me in ways my previous toy car never could. Do I need an "S" at this point, probably not. It will never see the track. It will always get beat in a straight line by my wife's 2003 Dinan Supercharged M3. No matter how much I spend there will be faster cars I will always want.

Buyer's remorse is a disease for me. I usually find myself second guessing myself on big purchases like this but I had to dig deep and feel this one out. I have some to a conclusion. I could have spent more time doing all the usual research that I often find myself doing and take a more analytical approach to buying my first Porsche. Actually, to the point of ruining the experience. The one thing that no other Porsche, faster "S" model or not, could replace is that pasionate, impulsive decision of a man buying his first Porsche.

If anyone else out there ever wonders If they bought the right car, remember this story and ask yourself how the car you bought made you feel. If you are like me, that unique feeling of getting the right car at that moment in time is priceless. Every time I look for more HP I will remember this and be at peace. Would I have ever liked the Boxster "S" instead? Who knows, but at this point I simply don't care. I finally have my first Porsche and couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I test drove both a Cayman S and Cayman. To be honest there isn't that much difference for street driving. If the tire sizes and gear boxes had been the same I'm not even sure if I could 100% pick the difference without more time behind the wheel of both. That said, I did feel there was more low end Torque, but I had set out to buy an S and was not an unbiased observer. I bought the S because I'd have had buyers remorse as you said, but at the end of the day both cars are wonderful, and sufficiently powered for street driving.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great post...:)

I feel ya, brother! Our stories are almost identical...

Jim in Texas

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Don't worry about it! There is always something faster, better, more powerful out there. Just enjoy what you got.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats on the car. Good story.

As far as your S2000, I still have mine and can tell you that stock for stock, I would take my Cayman S in a heart beat. However, I have modified my 2002 S2000 with a SC, gears, suspension, etc. and find the two VERY close in driveablity at low as well as high speeds. The Cayman has a tend to understeer and the S2000 has more oversteer, but other wise they are both VERY fun to drive. Yes, the Porsche has more torque, but with the SC, the S2000 has more power (300 WHP vs. 295 crank HP).

As for fit and finish, I have already had more problems (rattles and such) with my 2006 Cayman S (6 months of ownership) than I have with my 2002 S2000 8 years of ownership). The S2000 is a throwback roadster with no traction control, no power or heated seats and a very modest stereo. I really do not put the S2000 in the same class as the Boxster. Yes they are both two seat convertible sports cars, but there is a HUGE price difference. In 2002, the S2000 was a FAR superior sports car, but Honda dropped the ball and never really upgraded the car through all of those years (the AP1 to AP2 change in 2004 wasn't an upgrade IMO). Porsche did what a true sports car company does over the years- make improvements. Today's Boxster is BY FAR a better sports car than the S2000 ever became, but if you were to spend the same money (modifications to the S2000), they are VERY close.

To each his own, but I still love my S2000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daily driver is a 2004 325i 5 speed, so I am used to winding out that little six to get around.

In September I got my wife a low mileage 2007 Boxster S with 19" wheels and no PASM. My first impression of this car driving it home on the freeway was that it felt like a delivery van while rolling in a straight line down the San Diego freeway at 70. Of course the car comes alive and somehow "smooths out" when driving around the neighborhood or on older highways.

The big surprise for me was on a beautiful winding highway that runs from Julian to Interstate 8 and is much loved by car and bike people. After stirring the stick for a mile or two I just left it in third and the car was perfect the whole way. I think it's about 8 or 10 miles and I never took it out of third. It was fun but it was also strangely disappointing in that there was no reason whatsoever to shift gears. The torque of the 3.4 motor was all this car needed in every bend and there was no way I would reach redline in third on a public road.

Driving this car on this road made me think I would just as soon get a 2.7 for myself. Shifting isn't a chore for me but shifting my wife's car on that particular road would be an exercise in silliness. The one thing that is priceless in the S is the sound of the motor reaching redline in 2nd with the top down. But now that I've done this a few times, the torque of the S is like a genie that is rarely summoned.

There's a Cayman in my future but I'll keep an open mind on the S versus non-S thing.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I don't track my Cayman S, so when do I have an opprtunity to use the car's potential? Never. So, I paid what, $10,000 extra for something I can't use? :(
I'm just happy to have a Cayman, S or non-S. Either one is the best sports car you can buy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love the one you're with !

My 335xi will blow the doors off the Boxster basic in acceleration, especially since I live at 9,000ft elevation
where a turbo easily trumps fuel injection. However, the Boxster is soooo much fun in the twisties that I never second
guess my decision to buy it, and never will.

I wanted a new Porsche that was as close to a 356 / Speedster as possible, and this is it. Different strokes for different folks.
And besides, if I want real speed, I just fire up the Aprilia :cheers:

Speaking of bikes, here's a high speed Nordic ski transport module.... Moderator, if this pic isn't ok for this thread, I'll delete it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great Post. Very zen.

You explained well how there can be much pain and suffering in desiring things to be different than what they are....or wishing we had bought this, instead of that. You then explain how you found peace by being in the moment and deeply feeling the satisfaction of what is. You're a natural teacher.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Another S2000 to 987 convert. Welcome!

I also had a supercharged S2000. Mine was a 2005 with the Comptech supercharger and aftercooler. I didn't think my supercharged S2000 was quicker than the Cayman S. gomarlins3, have you lined the two cars up against each other?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Another S2000 to 987 convert. Welcome!

I also had a supercharged S2000. Mine was a 2005 with the Comptech supercharger and aftercooler. I didn't think my supercharged S2000 was quicker than the Cayman S. gomarlins3, have you lined the two cars up against each other?
No, but I do know that the Cayman would beat it off of the line. Luckily I don't drag race. The one time I autoXed them both the S2000 was MUCH quicker around the course, but I had only owned the Cayman for a short amount of time then. The S2000 is also set up for autoX (4.77 gears, adjustable suspension, and a HUGE front sway bar) so that may make a difference. My SC is also a CT version with a 7 lb. pulley and AC. Both have VERY direct steering although the Cayman has more 'heft' to it.

As I said, the Cayman has more push to it where the S2000 is more loose, but if I took the time (and money) to put toward the Cayman, I am sure I could get it to the level of my S2000 if not past it. However the Cayman is my DD and I have no intention of modifying it. I like it the way it is. More power would be nice, but I like to keep my DD's stock.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I test drove both a Cayman S and Cayman. To be honest there isn't that much difference for street driving. If the tire sizes and gear boxes had been the same I'm not even sure if I could 100% pick the difference without more time behind the wheel of both. That said, I did feel there was more low end Torque, but I had set out to buy an S and was not an unbiased observer. I bought the S because I'd have had buyers remorse as you said, but at the end of the day both cars are wonderful, and sufficiently powered for street driving.
+1

I test drove both extensively before deciding. The S engine certainly sounds better, but there's barely any perceptible performance difference in real world street driving (which is 100% what I intended to use my car for). Plus I actually prefer the engagement and feel of the Boxster's 5-speed transmission over the Boxster S' 6-speed. With the six speed, the shift feel isn't as direct, crisp or satisfying, and it felt like I was always rowing through one gear too many.

I don't regret choosing a base Boxster over an S for a second. I used a portion of the nearly $10,000 price differential to load-up my Boxster with high-end options - 19" rims, sport seats, full leather, PASM, etc. The car I ended up with is infinitely more satisfying than an unoptioned Boxster S would have been (for still more money). I made the right choice....absolutely.

Reactions: johnsimion

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I drove both an S and 2.7 Cayman before I bought my 2.7. I was coming out of a Jaguar sedan and quite honestly, it was all I could do to handle the S in the crowded street and highway traffic near the dealer. So logic wins.....my thought was.....what the heck am I going to use this extra horsepower for? Where am I going to use it? And why? And how about that $10,000 left in my account. I never looked back and couldn't be happier. One should never buy based on horsepower because the desire for more rarely ends. Just look at what the folks on this very blog are spending to increase horsepower on what they bought just weeks and months before. And it's unusable just about anywhere on public highways and byways. If I wanted a dragster/race car I would buy one. The Cayman I own is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on and I'd do it again, the same way, in a heartbeat.:banana:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Great post! Welcome to the P-car family, congrats on your Boxster and fantastic choice of color :D. The Speed Yellow looks fast standing still, and don't let anyone (esp. folks with Silver Boxsters) tell you otherwise. ;)

You should really consider joining us at the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit June 3 -6. It's an annual tradition for Boxster owners (12th year running!). Of course, it's more about the people than cars themselves. Take a look at the site and hope to see another SY Boxster there!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Budman +1 - If you wind even a base Cayman or Boxster to redline on public roads you're going to jail, kill someone or yourself. My 2.7 is a riot between 2000 and 5000 rpm and my wife keeps reminding me about tickets.:kiss:

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Here's my story... I have "S" envy exactly 2 to 4 times a year -- and they are the days I have my base at DE's.... otherwise, even the base Cayman's performance is soooo... beyond street limitations that the extra 50 hp doesn't make that much sense.

With respect to resale -- maybe a point -- but I tend to keep my cars for a very long time ... and right now have no plans (or ability) to trade "up".

speaking of DE's.. recently did Laguna Seca and there was a Cayman S in my run group. I made a point of slotting in behind him for a few laps. Firstly, I'm not that good a driver and I know I back off a few of the more "interesting" turns... and, yes, the CS did pull away from me.. but frankly, not that quickly. So, 50 hp made a difference -- but so would a bit more skill in my base 07.

Enjoy the ride....
D...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great story! I am a new owner of a Boxster as well. . . And man I thought the same thing, when i first test drove the boxster I was in love! Absolutely in love! sometimes i get thoughts of what is an "S" like but thats when im not in my car. When im driving my beautiful porsche boxster; it becomes clear, this car is for me and made for me; i am not second thinking my self and im glad i have a boxster

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Please delete the word "base":eek: from your vocabulary. Both the Cayman and the Boxster are beautiful machines, and certainly nothing to be apologetic about, Enjoy:banana:

"Deus est Machina"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this isn't thread hijacking, but any opinions on a non-S with the aftermarket turbo? Would that be a better way to spend the 10K difference? My next stop is to see if the TPC turbo is S specific (sorry, I am new to the Cayman and lurking/reading).

Steve

1 - 20 of 65 Posts