Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, more of a discussion piece that anything....

I'm a lucky bastard in some respects, but not as lucky as you... You own a Cayman(S or not), I don't... I own this:

Plus an 08 GTI that sleeps outside... Something's gotta go to make room for a Cayman S, both physical room and budget room... Ironically, those 3 cars above *together* don't even come close to matching the value of a used cayman S, yet I'd rather have 3 old cars than one modern one ! more fun and variety....

What to sell??? The platinum 911 on the left is my first 911, tons of sentimental value, owned for 15 years, sold it once, bought it back (phew), lots of sweat equity - backdated it to look like a 73, suspension works etc. You can't tell here but it sports nice superlite wheels, looks quite nice... very reliable, don't think I "can" sell it....yet it's too slow for track day these days in my group, I need a CS !

The white one is a 912. It's virtually rust free (41 year old too) - it'll be 100% rust free next week when I finish repairing the tow hook area. It's light and fun and classic, it costs nothing to insure, and did I mention it's fun as heck to drive (the balance is closer to a Cayman than to a 911). Oh, and values go up each year.

The 2002, well, it's cute, it's fun, also near free to insure, but I'm so upside down into it I'll never get $$ back, might as well keep it...Added fuel injection, 5 speed, bigger brakes from a more modern BMW, new everything else, still needs some paint but a reliable, fun 10 footer.

The GTI is obviously the one that's gotta go, but resale value on them is ****, and that gets me nowhere near used caymanS money, and even so I hate to lose 4 seats and 260 lb/ft of torque too (Revo software).

What do do ? GTI + one, probably. Leaning towards GTI+2002, which gets me 1/2 way towards a nice used cayman,and a porsche only stable... GTI + 911 would get me closer, but I think I'd regret it... GTI+912, hmm, possible, but where/when will find another that clean ? $%#$%#$%#$%#$%#$%$

Any chance anyone has a nice CS for sale and needs a GTI ? ;-)
Seriously, call me names, whatever.... Maybe one of you will put this in perspective for me or have an interesting angle....

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts

I'm a lucky bastard in some respects, but not as lucky as you... You own a Cayman(S or not), I don't... I own this:

Plus an 08 GTI that sleeps outside... Something's gotta go to make room for a Cayman S, both physical room and budget room... Ironically, those 3 cars above *together* don't even come close to matching the value of a used cayman S, yet I'd rather have 3 old cars than one modern one ! more fun and variety....

What to sell??? The platinum 911 on the left is my first 911, tons of sentimental value, owned for 15 years, sold it once, bought it back (phew), lots of sweat equity - backdated it to look like a 73, suspension works etc. You can't tell here but it sports nice superlite wheels, looks quite nice... very reliable, don't think I "can" sell it....yet it's too slow for track day these days in my group, I need a CS !

The white one is a 912. It's virtually rust free (41 year old too) - it'll be 100% rust free next week when I finish repairing the tow hook area. It's light and fun and classic, it costs nothing to insure, and did I mention it's fun as heck to drive (the balance is closer to a Cayman than to a 911). Oh, and values go up each year.

The 2002, well, it's cute, it's fun, also near free to insure, but I'm so upside down into it I'll never get $$ back, might as well keep it...Added fuel injection, 5 speed, bigger brakes from a more modern BMW, new everything else, still needs some paint but a reliable, fun 10 footer.

The GTI is obviously the one that's gotta go, but resale value on them is ****, and that gets me nowhere near used caymanS money, and even so I hate to lose 4 seats and 260 lb/ft of torque too (Revo software).

What do do ? GTI + one, probably. Leaning towards GTI+2002, which gets me 1/2 way towards a nice used cayman,and a porsche only stable... GTI + 911 would get me closer, but I think I'd regret it... GTI+912, hmm, possible, but where/when will find another that clean ? $%#$%#$%#$%#$%#$%$

Any chance anyone has a nice CS for sale and needs a GTI ? ;-)
Seriously, call me names, whatever.... Maybe one of you will put this in perspective for me or have an interesting angle....

Absolutely agree, not an easy decision.

Cheers .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Personally, I vote for GTI+912. While it is a cherry example of the breed, I never thought that there was anything particularly special about the 912. The 911 is obviously unsellable as it's got that personal history to it. The 2002? Well I have a 'thing' for them so you can't sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Can you get a loan against any of these vehicles you already own.Nice collection.Imo it would be a shame to let go of any of them.I do not see too many 2002 BMW's around and the ones i do see are complete wrecks.Must be a nice conversation piece when you take her out.If you must make Physical room in order too put your "new" Cayman in the garage then i would have to say BMW plus leverage of some kind on one of the Porsches.Keep the GTI for the hoop dee.Unless the numbers do not allow......Or you can take a chill pill and enjoy for now what you own,It is a nice little nest of fine German autos that you have acquired.(no insult intended)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I hear you guys, so far ;-)

The 912 "thing" is that it's a totally different animal from a 911, like I said the lighter motor makes it more balanced, more like a 987 ;-) And it's so damn cute, and non-threatening... Wife loves it... Probably the easiest to resell though, since it's super stock and clean. But did I mention the wife loves it ?

The 2002 is definitely my #1 candidate for eviction, not that I don't like her, I do !!! but that'd be hard as well... I have well over $12K into it, and it's not worth anywhere near that in the real world, especially when rust piles go <$1000. Like you said, it's hard to find a good one anymore, and most people would spent that money (and more) replicating my no-rust car with a 5 speed and FI and all new bits (I sound like a frigging advertisement, sorry) , but that's a hard sale, kinda like buying someone else's $$$ restoration: you know you should do it because it's cheaper in the end, but you can't pass up the cheaper car that you'll fix up yourself (and in the end will cost you more) ! It IS a major crowd pleaser, but a mega loss that brings *very little* cash to the table ($8 grand maybe? just a parking spot, really)... Seems kinda pointless... But yeah, she's topping the charts on account of the parking situation...

"Stay put and suck it up" is the option of choice right now - flak is justified, I know I've got a cool bunch and I should shut up - especially because I'd somewhat prefer buying the new DFI engine in the cayman (09 and above - although I hear it's more mellow and too quiet, gotta drive one), but I doubt I'll have the patience to wait till those 09s fall under $40K! And waiting is hard on me because I am a track junkie and my 911 is too slow for the "fast" group (not an ego thing, driving your mirrors is an annoying thing while GT3s fly by), the GTI out of the question on track (no brakes on that thing).

Dammit !!! It'd also be easier if dealers in my area would "deal"... Their 06s are still >$40K, say 42-45 which IMO is ridiculous compared to private party or carmax ($30-35K). High price to pay for a the certification, if any ! I've also seen some auction CS around $22-25K - I could swing that with just the GTI and some cash, but if you factor-in the risk of provenance (floord, wreck, IMS) and the cost of a "new" motor, it's probably too big a gamble... and.....there you go, I still don't know what to do ;-)

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can find 2006 CPO Caymans (S) on ebaymotors for mid-$30s. Sounds like it might be worth your while to shop around the rest of the country and either fly&drive to purchase it or have it shipped to you.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I hear you guys, so far ;-)

The 912 "thing" is that it's a totally different animal from a 911, like I said the lighter motor makes it more balanced, more like a 987 ;-) And it's so damn cute, and non-threatening... Wife loves it... Probably the easiest to resell though, since it's super stock and clean. But did I mention the wife loves it ?

The 2002 is definitely my #1 candidate for eviction, not that I don't like her, I do !!! but that'd be hard as well... I have well over $12K into it, and it's not worth anywhere near that in the real world, especially when rust piles go <$1000. Like you said, it's hard to find a good one anymore, and most people would spent that money (and more) replicating my no-rust car with a 5 speed and FI and all new bits (I sound like a frigging advertisement, sorry) , but that's a hard sale, kinda like buying someone else's $$$ restoration: you know you should do it because it's cheaper in the end, but you can't pass up the cheaper car that you'll fix up yourself (and in the end will cost you more) ! It IS a major crowd pleaser, but a mega loss that brings *very little* cash to the table ($8 grand maybe? just a parking spot, really)... Seems kinda pointless... But yeah, she's topping the charts on account of the parking situation...

"Stay put and suck it up" is the option of choice right now - flak is justified, I know I've got a cool bunch and I should shut up - especially because I'd somewhat prefer buying the new DFI engine in the cayman (09 and above - although I hear it's more mellow and too quiet, gotta drive one), but I doubt I'll have the patience to wait till those 09s fall under $40K! And waiting is hard on me because I am a track junkie and my 911 is too slow for the "fast" group (not an ego thing, driving your mirrors is an annoying thing while GT3s fly by), the GTI out of the question on track (no brakes on that thing).

Dammit !!! It'd also be easier if dealers in my area would "deal"... Their 06s are still >$40K, say 42-45 which IMO is ridiculous compared to private party or carmax ($30-35K). High price to pay for a the certification, if any ! I've also seen some auction CS around $22-25K - I could swing that with just the GTI and some cash, but if you factor-in the risk of provenance (floord, wreck, IMS) and the cost of a "new" motor, it's probably too big a gamble... and.....there you go, I still don't know what to do ;-)
Get another car lift and trade the GTI for a Cayman? This is indeed a high class problem. If I were in your shoes there is no way I could part with either the 911 OR the 912....the 2002 maybe.....the GTI sure, no problem. Have you looked at picking a Cayman up from further away?

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
I'd ditch the 2002 and the GTI. That makes a stable of 3 P-cars.

Or...get rid of the 912 and the 911 and have a nice mix of german engineering. Two of which offer modern performance and amenities.

I use the terms "get rid of" and "ditch" to shock you into a cold and rational state.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where you live whats the climate like? Is the GTI your daily driver? The reason I say this is you cant beat the VW for bad weather but I am sure you know that.

I have 1990 Golf GTI which I wont sell and a 2007 Audi A3 S-Line which is paid off. I have been wanting a Porsche for years and am still hesitant about pulling the trigger. Thats all I need is a 3rd car ;) .

Where I live the weather does lend itself to the Porsche all year round so I am definitely keeping the FWD beasts ;) because of the weather.

As you already own a 2 Porsches, maybe sell the 912 and 2002 and just keep the 911 and the GTI?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
You'd be foolish to get rid of either 911 as they are fast becoming too expensive and too rare to replace easily. The 912 is actually a very important Porsche and the quality of your example is not easily (or cheaply) duplicated. I've always been a fan of the 2002 but I feel much more strongly about the 911s. However, you'd never get enough in trade for the 2002 to make parting with it worthwhile. It would make most sense to trade the VW for a used Cayman S. You can get a used 06 in the low 30s with not that many miles. The difference in coin between your GTI and an 06CS will be less painful than the regret of selling either 911.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I'm new on this forum too and thinking the same exact thing. Except I own three Porsches. Two '88 924S and a '87 944 Turbo. The green 924S was rescued for almost certain decline and destruction (paid $500 for it non-running) and will probably be the one to sale. The red 924S is my autocross car and had a better time than a 911 C4 at our last event (although he had street tires) so it's a keeper. The flamingo metallic 951 is a real jewel and would be really hard to let go of. Not so great on a tight autocross course but given more room to operate - that car can leave you breathless!

My first step is to actually drive a Cayman S at a dealership to confirm all the good things I've been hearing. I'm really concerned that a sales person is going to trap me in their cube and I'll be signing a note for 65K!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You'd be foolish to get rid of either 911 as they are fast becoming too expensive and too rare to replace easily. The 912 is actually a very important Porsche and the quality of your example is not easily (or cheaply) duplicated. I've always been a fan of the 2002 but I feel much more strongly about the 911s. However, you'd never get enough in trade for the 2002 to make parting with it worthwhile. It would make most sense to trade the VW for a used Cayman S. You can get a used 06 in the low 30s with not that many miles. The difference in coin between your GTI and an 06CS will be less painful than the regret of selling either 911.
I think you've summed it up well... The GTI is gone for sure, but the car most likely to get voted off the island (2002) is just not all that expensive anyway.
What's the point...

GTI-> used CS is probably the way to go, but that means an 06 (not the DFI model) with no warranty left over, and to get the mid 30K price, it needs to be a private sale, so I need to sell the GTI first - not fun, I then have to find a car fast (the oldies are on a collectible car policy, no driving to work, except the 911 but that is not too child friendly, car seat wise)...

You're right, I don't see myself selling the 911/912 either.... I've already sold a couple 356s yearsa ago, and I'm still kicking myself for that :eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
It appears you're in a no-win situation as you have a strong tendency to weave your vehicles into your personal identity. When one leaves it will be as if a piece of you died, which is why you had to buy the 911 back. What would you be without your 911?

The only way out of this very common trap, is to discover our valid identity that is not built on material stuff. The doorway to this is generally though what is called "mindfulness". Once we realize what we genuinely are, we are free to enjoy our stuff at even a deeper level as the overly protective fear of loss is now absent.

What you are experiencing is very, very common, and we all pretty much deal with it to some degree. In fact, it is so prevalent that we don't question it and generally think it is the natural and healthy way to be......it's not.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The only way out of this very common trap, is to discover our valid identity that is not built on material stuff. The doorway to this is generally though what is called "mindfulness". Once we realize what we genuinely are, we are free to enjoy our stuff.
I need to print this out and post it in my garage. Need to throw away lots of junk that I somehow can't throw away. Gotta make room for my future croc. :cheers:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It appears you're in a no-win situation as you have a strong tendency to weave your vehicles into your personal identity. .
Wow, that's a pretty far reaching conclusion considering the little amount of info I gave away ;-) I'm sure you mean well, and to a point, you are right, we are too attached to stuff (and stuff owns you), but I think you are a little off base there...

I "dispose" of cars very easily, too easily in fact... I bought back the 911 because I sold it to a good friend, and when he offered it back, for the money, there was no other "sane" alternative than buying it back - I knew the car, it's a good one. Since then I invested a lot of sweat and blood in the backdate and making it somewhat unique... I can sell it at anytime without suffering a mental breakdown... it just seems silly to, as I like having an old 911 to drive...

912's the same. I'll have a hard time finding another one this nice for that money. And my wife likes it (if you're gonna pick up on psychobabble, that's the important bit, ask any married man ;-)

My "genuine" identity is that I love cars, porsches in particular ! I don't drink, smoke, gamble, cheat, I love cars ;-) Just trying to find a way to experience CaymanS ownership with the most logical trade-in ;-)

PS: just noticed I left off the 2002 from that response, I guess that's an answer huh ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
My vote is for the 2002 and GTI, which seems to be the way you're heading. But mine and the previous opinions are somewhat biased as this is a "porche" forum, wonder what the response would be on a BMW forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you're going to keep two of your existing cars I would keep the 2002 and either the 911 or the 912 as I prefer my cars to each have a separate purpose for me that would be

- modern car (Cayman so the GTI can go)
- 4 seater (since you don't appear to really need a modern 4 seater, the 2002 stays so the GTI can go )
- older 2 seater (either the 911 or the 912 goes)
- modern 2 seater (Cayman)

on selling a car you've had for a long time, I sold my 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV that I had owned for 21 years to buy my Cayman (more of a garage space issue than anything else). I do sometimes miss the Alfa, but if I take the Cayman for a drive that usually reminds me why I made the change.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.