Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I made a lane change that was potentially very dangerous. I know that shortly after changing lanes to my right, there was someone very immediately behind me. Now, I don't know whether I cut them off or whether they just happened to change into that lane at the same time as I did. They didn't angrily hit the horn or anything, but I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat.

With that in mind, I decided to do a bit of experimentation to figure out exactly where my blind spots are and try my best to eliminate them. I'd watch cars approaching in the adjacent lane in my RVM and then keep track of when I lost them there and picked them up in my right side mirror, and then again when I lost them and picked them up visually. As I got everything adjusted as well as possible, I came to the realization that the dimming feature was a serious hindrance. In the side mirror, everything was pretty much black except for headlights. When I turned the system off, things got a whole lot safer.

I like the dimming RVM. It seems to not get as dark so I can still see stuff besides lights. It would be nice if I could somehow separate the two and only have the RVM active for dimming.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Definitely. I've mentioned before that I think the auto-dimming side mirrors are a safety hazard. Big problem at dusk, when most but not all of the people around you have their headlights on.

I would disconnect the passenger-side mirror dimming hardware if I could find it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try this instead, readjust your side view mirrors.

This is the procedure for adjusting the mirrors.
The adjustment isn't the issue. It was during the process of adjusting them where I realized that I simply couldn't SEE what I needed to see in them. It's not that they weren't pointing to the right place. It's that the reflection wasn't making it from the object to my eyes. Switching off the dimming solved this.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I'm not clear on what the problem is. Was this at dusk, when you want to see the car even if it doesn't have headlights on? Or the dimmed lights at night are not noticeable enough in the RHM?

I find at night without dimming of the side mirrors, the lights are too bright and distracting, I used to fiddle with mirrors and aim them away so I wouldn't see cars at all unless I moved my head.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is at night with the roof up. There's a point where the headlights are past the mirror image but not visible with a side glance. The mirror should still show the side of the car as it comes forward into view beside me. Except it doesn't, because it's too dark.

Edit: The issue can be seen with dudecs' first link above. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots See the red car in the mirror? I can't. I should... because it's there... but I can't... because the mirror is too dark with the dimming.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yes,I know what you mean. It's a grave weakness of the 981B. Interesting that letting the mirror be normal helped. Maybe someday we can retrofit blind spot cams.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Definitely. I've mentioned before that I think the auto-dimming side mirrors are a safety hazard. Big problem at dusk, when most but not all of the people around you have their headlights on.

I would disconnect the passenger-side mirror dimming hardware if I could find it.
Can't you just remove the leads from behind the mirror glass? I've replaced those a few times now with the RoW two-zone glass, and there are usually two pairs of wires. One for the heating element, and one to control the dimming. If you don't plug the second pair in (I've done this accidentally) then the dimming is disabled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may look into doing this some day. Thanks for the tip! I imagine there's just one plug to connect them, but I could certainly get a single wire out if I knew which one it was. A little trial and error should do the trick.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm glad I didn't pay extra for an option that now needs to be disconnected. I feel for you guys that are in that predicament.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm glad I didn't pay extra for an option that now needs to be disconnected. I feel for you guys that are in that predicament.
Well... I still want the RVM to dim... so it's not a total waste. :) Also... it was part of the premium package, so it's not as though I spec'd it on its own.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Can't you just remove the leads from behind the mirror glass? I've replaced those a few times now with the RoW two-zone glass, and there are usually two pairs of wires. One for the heating element, and one to control the dimming. If you don't plug the second pair in (I've done this accidentally) then the dimming is disabled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Makes total sense. That's what I'd do.

Also adjusting the mirrors best done in the neighborhood, slowly driving past parked cars. But on 981 it's basically all the way out, so easy to do :)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Makes total sense. That's what I'd do.

Also adjusting the mirrors best done in the neighborhood, slowly driving past parked cars. But on 981 it's basically all the way out, so easy to do :)
Yeah... I noticed this as well. "What? That's as far as it goes? Well... ok then... "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts