Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
If you get fast enough and push hard enough, eventually you will probably wish for more brake than the stock setup can handle (larger brakes/calipers and lots of $$, essentially to increase heat capacity). Most people never reach this point so I would not worry about it for now. It depends a lot on how far down the competitive road you go, how much grip your tires generate, and your individual driving style.
I agree 100%: larger brakes are not necessary for most, as indicated in my original response (above). But once you do overwhelm the capacity of the stock brakes, the impact of additional cooling air is small compared to that of larger brakes. Believe me, I've done everything possible with cooling and fluid to avoid spending thousands on larger brakes, but I've run out of bullets. :(

did you move eventually to BBK or just bigger rotors?

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Ran the RS-29 this weekend, nice pad! Not grabby, nor is there any significant difference from cold to hot, like some other pads I used (read,-- no worky cold to worky a lot, hot). WSIR is not hard on brakes at all, actually at the other end of the spectrum, only two corners on the track I braked, so maybe not the best test by any means. That said, Like the pads. Thanks for all the great feedback!

It is not just the size of the rotors, but also the construction - material and design (72 vane vs. 36 vane, etc.). This is why the Brembo Indycar rotor kit from Wrightwood works so well.

Cheers,

Discussion starter · #47 ·
It is not just the size of the rotors, but also the construction - material and design (72 vane vs. 36 vane, etc.). This is why the Brembo Indycar rotor kit from Wrightwood works so well.

Cheers,
Good point, I have been considering custom rotors for the future

Normally the caliper size up front on a CS is not the issue - a majority of the problems are due to rear brake activation via stab control etc - they turn purple/brown WAY before the fronts do.
Larger rear rotors/cooling/fluids (of course) are nearly a must for experienced track work...

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Normally the caliper size up front on a CS is not the issue - a majority of the problems are due to rear brake activation via stab control etc - they turn purple/brown WAY before the fronts do.
Larger rear rotors/cooling/fluids (of course) are nearly a must for experienced track work...
Makes sense when put in this perspective! Not overly obvious as most of us don't think of the braking the car does on our behalf!!

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Especially the Cayman rears - they are way overworked! For consistent track use, get track pads/larger rotors/600 fluid. Problems virtually solved...
Just curios, what size rear rotors do you recommend and how do they affect brake bias?

I have done everything I know how to do to manage brake heat. Fenderliners, air ducts, Giro rotors front and back. Then I upgraded the front to 991S calipers and the 350mm rotor which is has 48 vanes vs the 30 in the Giro 340mm rotors. The fronts are now fine in terms of heat. But in the rear the jury is still out. For some reason, Porsche made the rear rotors thinner than the 987 and even though I have the larger Giro 325mm rotors in the rear, they still get hot. Much hotter than the front. (Ptv gets some of the blame for this) Since a lot of other people had done the 991S upgrade before me without reporting problems, I assumed it was okay. If I had that money to spend over again, I would have upgraded all four corners to the PCCB calipers and then installed the Giro 350mm rotors all around. I don't know what more you could do then that. But you have to be driving pretty hard on a track with a lot of corners to make that kind of a setup necessary. I'm hoping to get through this next season with the setup I have.

I have ........ setup I have.
The one issue you are forgetting to mention that most of your track experience happens at altitude, thinner air.

i solved that problem..and two people here.. can attest to that.. me and lacquer..

i have ptv and so does he..

lemon
You are at sea level, he is not. Totally different.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.