Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after about 2 days and 3 visits to the dealership, here is the fix.

Symptom:
Randomly, both key fobs will stop working. However, the keys will still lock/unlock and start the car.

Have tried to no avail:
Replace batteries on both fobs
resync both keys (stick in ignition, press and hold unlock)
reassign keys at dealership
check all fuses (note, the alarm control module with the 15A fuse under the driver seat does not exist on 987's)

Solution:
Perform vehicle handover at dealership THEN resync both keys. No idea why this worked (Porsche mechanics didn't either), but this was a $150 solution that you now know for free. Ugh!!

Caveat:
To properly resync, stick the key in the ignition but do not turn it. Press and hold the unlock button until the red flashing light on the unlock button on the middle console goes away.

Hopefully this will save time for people who searched far and wide on Google for this problem like I did.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Add a couple photographs and this tip would make a handy article. :)

Symptom:
Randomly, both key fobs will stop working. However, the keys will still lock/unlock and start the car.

Have tried to no avail:
check all fuses (note, the alarm control module with the 15A fuse under the driver seat does not exist on 987's)

Solution:
Perform vehicle handover at dealership THEN resync both keys. No idea why this worked (Porsche mechanics didn't either), but this was a $150 solution that you now know for free. Ugh!!

Caveat:
To properly resync, stick the key in the ignition but do not turn it. Press and hold the unlock button until the red flashing light on the unlock button on the middle console goes away.

Hopefully this will save time for people who searched far and wide on Google for this problem like I did.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what picture would make it any more helpful as the process is pretty straight forward. I tried to include as many keywords and phrases in there as possible so it'll be easier to search for on the web!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

Symptom:

Have tried to no avail:

Solution:

Caveat:

Cheers!
Thanks for trying to help us. QUESTIONS: If the fob locks/unlocks/starts the car, what is it that didn't work?--using buttons to open frunk or trunk? Memory seat issues? Something else?

Also, what does "Perform vehicle handover" mean? If you mean you gave the dealer the car and then you or they did exactly what had not previously worked for you in resyncing the keys, I'm lost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts