Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of things I wished I had purchased was backup sensors. After the fact, I received the car, I found out I was unable to install OEM sensors because there is no pre-wired harness for the sensors.

Well today at my shop, a customer who had been rear ended in his Volvo had aftermarket sensors in his bumper. They were destroyed and in trying to replace them, I ran into the same thing, no OEM sensors were available to be installed.

After doing some research, I had come across these.

The reviews were good and I ordered a set. They're easy to install, work great and cost only 51 bucks.

I've seen aftermarket ones and they usually look crappy and don't work worth a darn. They look and fit EXACTLY like factory sensors. They are available for front and rear or just rear.

I was thoroughly impressed and ordered a set for myself. Tomorrow they will arrive and I'll pull the bumper, paint them to match and install them.

I'll post pics and hopefully remember to take pics on how to remove a 981 bumper.

Mark

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just wondering about this curious statement at the product link:
"4 sensor detect obstacles over 4.5 feet away from bumper."
Wouldn't you want it to detect obstacles closer than that?

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering about this curious statement at the product link:
"4 sensor detect obstacles over 4.5 feet away from bumper."
Wouldn't you want it to detect obstacles closer than that?

I actually tested that....

it starts at about 4 -4 1/2 feet and closer, not further. The "ad" was trying to make the point it doesn't wait until you're 6" away before going off. It goes off starting at 4'ish feet.

Mark

·
Registered
486 Posts
For my last 4x4 I bought a set of cheapy's off ebay thinking if they work great if not O well

I could not believe how good they were I did a heap of Mud and river crossing's and thought they would die never did

Some nice person ran into the back of me when it was at the smash repairers they ask were I got them and were shocked that I had paid $19.00 delivered. some of these china made products are awesome

·
Registered
898 Posts
Where does OEM beep come from. I have this in all other cars in last 10 years but seems sound comes over speakers??

·
Registered
379 Posts
After doing some research, I had come across these.

The reviews were good and I ordered a set. They're easy to install, work great and cost only 51 bucks.
Are you at all afraid of drilling four holes into your factory bumper? Also, is there somewhere to run the wire or do you need to drill a hole for that (and could it be a future source of rust)? And then where would you mount the display? (It seems that you run an auto shop so I'd guess that you can probably do the best possible job installing this thing and yeah, I really wish I'd ordered one from the factory.)

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you at all afraid of drilling four holes into your factory bumper? Also, is there somewhere to run the wire or do you need to drill a hole for that (and could it be a future source of rust)? And then where would you mount the display? (It seems that you run an auto shop so I'd guess that you can probably do the best possible job installing this thing and yeah, I really wish I'd ordered one from the factory.)

First, the holes drilled will be in the lower valence (which is where the factory does it) Unfortunately, I painted my lower valence so now I'll have to paint the sensors.

The only thing I don't know if these sensors will take paint. I mean, I know they will take paint, it's just some sensors aren't meant to be painted.

Second, no, I have no issues drilling the holes. You just have to measure them correctly.

Third. The notification comes from speaker/buzzer that beeps. The wire is long enough to mount it in the cab but if it's loud enough (I'll test before installing) I plan on just placing it inside the trunk.

Last but not least, my intention is to use a hole already placed there by the factory. If there is not to my satisfaction, I will drill one, paint the edges and use a rubber grommet.

I don't mind doing this kind of mod but I promise it will look like it came from the factory. I will wrap all the lines into one to keep everything to look as stock as possible.

Mark

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't mind doing this kind of mod but I promise it will look like it came from the factory. I will wrap all the lines into one to keep everything to look as stock as possible.
I look forward to seeing the photos. If it comes out well, maybe you can recommend a good shop in New York. Otherwise, maybe I'll drive down to your place in Charlotte-- 630 miles each way would take care of a big chunk of my break-in period, so I could kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Can't wait to see how this works out. I would think any shop that adds seat heaters and the like should be able to do this.

·
Porsche Prophet
942 Posts
First, the holes drilled will be in the lower valence (which is where the factory does it) Unfortunately, I painted my lower valence so now I'll have to paint the sensors.

The only thing I don't know if these sensors will take paint. I mean, I know they will take paint, it's just some sensors aren't meant to be painted.

Second, no, I have no issues drilling the holes. You just have to measure them correctly.

Third. The notification comes from speaker/buzzer that beeps. The wire is long enough to mount it in the cab but if it's loud enough (I'll test before installing) I plan on just placing it inside the trunk.

Last but not least, my intention is to use a hole already placed there by the factory. If there is not to my satisfaction, I will drill one, paint the edges and use a rubber grommet.

Mark
PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES of the install PLEASE ! :thanks:

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Uh, why does one need backup sensors in a Cayman? It's a small car, a driver's car, not an SUV or a truck...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Uh, why does one need backup sensors in a Cayman? It's a small car, a driver's car, not an SUV or a truck...
I assume the Boxster's rear visibility is worse than that of the Cayman and I live in Manhattan where the car is garaged and it's not self-park; i.e., the guys cram them into every available square foot of space. As it is I use one of those rubber "Bumper Bully" things in there but I figure this would be extra protection.

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like there is another version psd100 also bit more expensive and not sure the differences beyond looks like has a learning mode and can add additional sensors.
install manuals are available below if anyone wants to see them

http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/common/PSB100/PSB100_IM.pdf

http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/common/PSD100/PSD100_IM.pdf

I saw that but my "assumption" is that if you park in the same place, it must learn that somehow (GPS perhaps, I'm not sure) but point is, there's just a few times I wish I had it and for the money it's gonna cost, I'd rather have it.

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are there any updates to this from the OP?

Pics of the install?

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are there any updates to this from the OP?

Pics of the install?
Man, I wish... we've been so slammed at work, I haven't had a chance to do so. I will post pics once I do it, I just need a few hours to pull my own car in here..lol.

Mark

1 - 20 of 47 Posts