Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouting on line for the last 4-5 months, originally considering an 03-04 996 911. But when you can get an 06 - 07 Cayman for about the same cost, you've really got to want a 911 to buy one. So I found an 07 Cayman S about a month ago and have been waiting to go see it. I knew from pictures that it was filthy inside and out so took it to a car wash (self spray of course) right away to reveal the beautiful meteor grey underneath. It was not until I got it home and really detailed it inside and out, that I discovered what a great find this was. 14K miles and after 5 days, got it to where it looks like it could be sitting in the dealers showroom! Sooo nice. It's been raining like the last 5 days so have yet to take pictures.

For those interested, this was my detailing regime:

Outside- Wash with dishsoap, clean with Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, Claybar, Griots's Paint Sealant, S100 wax (from Harley dealer),Blue Majic on chrome tailpipes.

Inside- vacuum, alot of vacuum. Clean leather w/ Zymol Leather Cleaner followed by Zymol Leather Conditioner. Clean plastic surfaces with Sonus Cockpit Detailer. Used detailers brushers to get the massive dust out of all crevices. Invisible Glass cleaner on glass.

I'm looking into clear auto bra and have been reading the archives on the subject. I'll have a lot more questions as I get to learn more about the car. This is my 3rd Porsche after a 85.5 944, 2000 Boxster. This will be the primary travel car for the wife and I.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome. I think you will really like it. May I suggest two things. First, really study the owner's manual. The car has lots of nifty features. Second, take a driving mini-vacation. If you are like me, you will return truly smitten.

By the way, I really like the clear bra on darker cars. It helps reduce road rash if you drive it a lot.

Did you have a professional mechanic check it over as well. If not, I would and also have them do a minor service with fresh oil and brake fluids. ??

Drive safely and post your pictures. Ed

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The logistics at the time made it very difficult to get a PPI and the car still has the factory warranty. So I took it to the Porsche dealer (2 hrs away) and had them do a post p i. Our negotiated price was also based on not having a ppi. No problems at all and I got all the service records. I'll do an oil change in the next few weeks and probably do a brake bleed in the Fall, especially if I do another DE then.

Wife and I will be traveling to NC in June for the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit and am really looking forward to the trip with the Cayman. As much as I enjoyed the Boxster (986 series) the cabin was small for long trips. The CS feels just right.

I have indeed been studying the manual and with the help of the archives, finally got my garage doors programmed. Still playing with the OBC but I think I've got it figured out.

Such a blast to drive. Work and grocery store are way too close!

·
Registered
337 Posts
sounds like you had a great find!
Were you serious about using dishsoap to clean the car? That's usually frowned upon in the detailing world, unless you know something I don't (if so do tell!)

Post up pics soon!;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Yep, dish soap is typically used to wash off old wax. It makes for a good prep. for claybar also. JUst don't use it unless you plan on doing a full prep and wax treatment. That's what car specific soap is for.

I love that California coast line avatar. One of the most beautiful places. We used to visit there when our son lived in the Silicon Valley. Where exactly is it?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks. Yep, dish soap is typically used to wash off old wax. It makes for a good prep. for claybar also. JUst don't use it unless you plan on doing a full prep and wax treatment. That's what car specific soap is for.
gotcha thanks!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

I love that California coast line avatar. One of the most beautiful places. We used to visit there when our son lived in the Silicon Valley. Where exactly is it?
Hi Allen,

That photo was taken on a trip from So. Cal. to Monterey right after we took delivery of the new CS. The actual location is about 25 miles south of Monterey. There are two additional photo's in the Gallery from that trip. As you know the entire coast is pretty spectacular.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.