Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was washing my car I noticed a fine seam under the driving lights. I followed it up all around the front bumper along with the hood and front quarter panels. The edge of the "bra" on each panel ends just before the seams dividing the car panels. My car is a CPO purchase so I didn't know if this was an added accessory. QUESTION: Is this a bra or film applied at the factory. Unless you look really close between the panel seams, you cannot see this film at all. Also, if it is in fact a bra, is there any special pre-cautuion I need to take with the products I use when detailing. As always, I appreciate the expertise of our members!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'm pretty sure the factory doesn't do clear bras although dealers sure do and at a considerable markup. And it sounds like you have one courtesy of a previous owner. Since I don't, I'm not up on any special care but I'm sure someone will chime in quickly.:cheers:

·
Registered
948 Posts
It is probably Expel brand or 3M. Both brands work by "self sealing", therefore it is important that you don't use any abrasive cleaners such as cleaner wax. Also, avoid any solvents such as "bug remover", or acetone. I was told soap and water and spray wax only. The bra should hold up 3 - 5 years depending on UV exposure and your road condition. How has it worked to avoid chips? - front splitters are highly prone to small rock chips. Nice - $1,000 value surprise!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Cayman B. Caitlyn
Fortunately your Cayman's bra won't change the original curves...
Does the film wrap completely around the edges of the hood? If so, consider yourself lucky because that is a premium install. A full front wrap costs about $2000 at an indy shop or at least 50% more than that through a dealer. In terms of care, just wash and wax it like the rest of the car. Use a soft toothbrush to get out the wax that leaves a white line at the exposed edges. The two primary brands are 3M or Xpel. A clear bra shop can probably tell which one was used, but I think the care is the same.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Quality clear bra install isn't cheap, I just paid a little over $3k to have my whole car wrapped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts