Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to sell my 2007 Cayman S, but wondered about a few things and the impact on resale value.

The car has 37,500 miles and is in perfect condition, except for a mysterious dent that appeared out of nowhere just above a taillight. See below. There may be paint cracking on area closest to tail light, but if so, very minor. Wondering if worth it to fix or not from a resale value point of view. If bodywork is needed, that could get pricey. Thanks. Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a recent buyer, I say get it fixed if you’re hoping to sell anytime soon, and not for a fire sale price. These cars tend to be well looked after, are not that rare, and as a buyer I wouldn’t bother looking at one with body damage. Especially body damage on a curved surface that might be pricey to fix. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
It has to be the right guy, (the one I know started life as a master painter and body man so revered he did show cars only) BUT... Here's the but! There may be a chance a dent-less repair tech can push that out. It doesn't hurt to check first before other avenues. Otherwise it's not a crazy job for someone with talent. The friends I watch in NY have some sort of extrusion rods they can strategically spot weld to that, pull it out, smooth it with a thimble full of filler and spot it so well only the most experienced eye would find it with a strong light, good luck. PS Know this, the dent-less approach could crack the paint, a guy whose great will be able to tell you whether it will work, it's very close to the edge so it might not be possible.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like it would be wise to get this fixed. I just remembered that my comprehensive insurance should cover the dent, so will inquire about that. The paint on the edge shows possible signs of paint cracking, but it is so minor, it is hard to tell. Will get someone with a good reputation to look at it.

Not sure what to price this car at, but according to the dealer, it will research my area (northern Nevada) for going prices.

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I'm going to second the paintless dent removal attempt. Based on dents I've had removed that way, it shouldn't be more than a $100 attempt. Any idea how it happened? It almost looks like a golf ball hit to me. You just might find the dent removal process will fix it well enough to not worry about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Between the time I knew the car had no dents to the time I discovered this one, the car was garaged 95% of the time (month or so), and made one trip from the San Francisco bay area to area south of Reno NV. I do not recall anything sounding like an impact on the car. Also, there are absolutely NO paint scrapes, scratches, or other paint damage at all on the dent. Weird. I did have a car cover on it at times, and wondered if something hit it with cover on, explaining lack of paint damage. I found no marks of any kind on the car cover where the dent would be. The dent really ticked me off, but...

Car seems to attract flying things, but maybe that is the norm in the San Francisco bay area. I have missed virtually all, and/or the car escaped unscathed. A branch fell out of a redwood tree and hit the rear window with a loud noise, but incredibly, the paint was untouched and the glass unfazed.

Phil

I'm going to second the paintless dent removal attempt. Based on dents I've had removed that way, it shouldn't be more than a $100 attempt. Any idea how it happened? It almost looks like a golf ball hit to me. You just might find the dent removal process will fix it well enough to not worry about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I third PDR.... take out the taillight and should be able to push it out from behind. I had a dent fixed through the taillight access via PDR but it was more over the wheel and not right on the edge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would also try the PDR route, I had this done on my Cayman, one of the dents was in the door right where the impact bar is and the man got it out. The other was on the top of the rear wheel arch which I thought was a strange place for a dent. The two dents cost over $500.00 to repair but was well worth it to me.
As far as getting the dent repaired before selling, it depends on the person buying the car and if you expect to get top dollar for the car. Both of the dents were in the car when I bought it and I was not concerned about them because the rest of the car was mostly what I was looking for, had been well maintained but driven, and the price reflected that.
I will say that the seller told me that he had several people look at the car and walk away, the car was driven and was four years old and reflected this, it was not perfect and that is what I wanted because I am going to use the car, and the issues it had were really not issues unless you want a perfect car. GLWS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree with the PDR attempt. My friend has a Mercedes (C300 I think?) and had numerous dents created by a group of turkeys (they saw their reflection in his excellent polish work)... the dents were all removed for little cost by PDR... he highly recommends it too... and he can be rather picky!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It has to be the right guy, (the one I know started life as a master painter and body man so revered he did show cars only) BUT... Here's the but! There may be a chance a dent-less repair tech can push that out. It doesn't hurt to check first before other avenues. Otherwise it's not a crazy job for someone with talent. The friends I watch in NY have some sort of extrusion rods they can strategically spot weld to that, pull it out, smooth it with a thimble full of filler and spot it so well only the most experienced eye would find it with a strong light, good luck. PS Know this, the dent-less approach could crack the paint, a guy whose great will be able to tell you whether it will work, it's very close to the edge so it might not be possible.
I don't think it is 'dent-less repair'. If it is, I don't think you would qualify. It's paint-less dent repair because you avoid paint touch-up after fixing your dent.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is like expecting someone to fall in love with a person with a huge festering pimple on their nose. I'd just walk away from the car if I even went to see it.

You'll get back every $$ you spend to fix it and it will sell much easier if that dent goes away. Try to sell it with the dent and not only will the price be discounted the cost of fixing the dent, but it will be discounted even more since you'll per perceived as someone who didn't give a damn about the car. If that looks neglected it reflects on every other part of the car.

Reactions: schwinn

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
47 Posts
I had few dents removed by PDR, they use a epoxy to glue some plastic rods and pull from the outside, no scratch or paint damage I was amazed, that one is really close to crease so it won't be cheap if they can do it. if you are going to sell it you can just use your insurance and repair it if only 500 deductible

1 - 14 of 14 Posts