Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, has anyone looked at importing a car from Canada to the US? The dollar is so strong right now I was starting to wonder if it might be worth it. For instance, Canadian MSRP on the GT4 is 96,500 CAD, which at current exchange rates is more than 10% lower than the US MSRP. It sounds like the import duty is only 2.5%, but then there's the question of whether there are additional state taxes, Canadian taxes, and the amount of paperwork...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just wondering, has anyone looked at importing a car from Canada to the US? The dollar is so strong right now I was starting to wonder if it might be worth it. For instance, Canadian MSRP on the GT4 is 96,500 CAD, which at current exchange rates is more than 10% lower than the US MSRP. It sounds like the import duty is only 2.5%, but then there's the question of whether there are additional state taxes, Canadian taxes, and the amount of paperwork...
Porsche may or may not condone grey-market importing. In the past we could import from the U.S., but the warranty was only validated once we paid for an "inspection" (around $1,500 or so) by a local dealer. We also paid sales taxes and a duty of 6.1% for non-NAFTA vehicles, plus a host of misc. fees (tire levy, A/C excise tax, etc). An inspection has to be done before you can register the car and any updates performed (e.g. adding DRLs if not part of U.S.-spec). Between jumping through all the red-tape hoops and additional costs, the playing field is levelled a lot and conditions have to be just right to warrant going to the trouble. You'll have to look up the specific regulations on your side to see what's required, as they might vary state-to-state.

On the other hand, don't bother. Unless you're best friends with the owner of a cross-border dealership, you likely won't get a GT4 in any case. Haven't you heard about the waiting lists?

·
Banned
548 Posts
If you did that, the analog speedometer would be in kilometers per hour instead of miles per hour, which would actually make it useful since you could play little math games while you're driving. Additionally, someone might glance at it and think your car can do 300+ mph.

Off-topic: how are the repairs to your car coming?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the other hand, don't bother. Unless you're best friends with the owner of a cross-border dealership, you likely won't get a GT4 in any case. Haven't you heard about the waiting lists?
Yeah, I was mostly wondering if anyone had tried it. The GT4 was just an example, but you might be able to get a good deal on a more common model.

If you did that, the analog speedometer would be in kilometers per hour instead of miles per hour, which would actually make it useful since you could play little math games while you're driving. Additionally, someone might glance at it and think your car can do 300+ mph.

Off-topic: how are the repairs to your car coming?
They had told me I was supposed to get it back tomorrow, but my insurance was being stubborn about covering a replacement wheel (which seems dumb since they won't be the ones paying ultimately). So we'll see. I'm really missing it, driving my old RX-8 around isn't the same thing by a long shot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you did that, the analog speedometer would be in kilometers per hour instead of miles per hour...
All Porsches can be switched between mph and km/h on the fly. At the very least the centre digital readout will show the correct units, but I believe the analogue speedo will recalibrate as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The S and the GTS go to 300 km/h. 280 for the base.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But our U.S. analog gauges only goes to 190(MPH). What do the Canadian ones go to? 315?
Speedo read 280km/h.

We have an average of 13% sales taxes in Canada (5% canada, about 7% depending of the province. Ex. Québec is 15% combine) Alberta is the lower I think. I dont know if you have to pay both when you are out of Canada, but still, just the taxes will level the difference in dollars.

When Canadian Dollars was strong, buying from US was good, nearly no taxes, very low price tag. There was specialized company that import car from US. We dont here about them much lately.

Later
wawa

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
We have an average of 13% sales taxes in Canada (5% canada, about 7% depending of the province. Ex. Québec is 15% combine) Alberta is the lower I think. I dont know if you have to pay both when you are out of Canada, but still, just the taxes will level the difference in dollars.
Federal sales tax (GST) is 5% and is refundable to a U.S. citizen buying a car in Canada and registering it in the States.
Alberta has no Provincial tax. Don't know if the tax charged in other provinces would be refundable.
So the net Canadian tax paid by a U.S. citizen buying a used Porsche in Alberta would be 0%.

The duty to bring the car into the U.S. is 2.5% though, regardless of the province in which the car is purchased.

I bought a number of cars in the U.S. when the price differential wasn't nearly what is is today between our two countries. Did exceptionally well on every transaction. I'm surprised there isn't a stream of raiding parties lined up at the border to bring Canadian cars into the U.S.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It can't be that difficult, in the last month, two GT3's were brought from Canada, one for $69K and the other for $88K, those are great prices for GT3's considering how inflated the prices for GT3's are now.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Here's what a Canadian gauge cluster looks like (this is my 997.2 GTS) with analog speedo in KM/H.

The kilometres displayed on the left (61341/1103) and the 0 km/hr switch over (as in U.S. cars) in about 5 seconds. However, when you switch the digital readouts to MP/H the analog stays in KP/H. Changing the speedometer markings to reflect MP/H instead of KP/H would simply require a gauge face replacement, not a recalibration. Because you would have the digital readout in MP/H, it may not even be required.

Gauges.jpg

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It can't be that difficult, in the last month, two GT3's were brought from Canada, one for $69K and the other for $88K, those are great prices for GT3's considering how inflated the prices for GT3's are now.
I expect it's pretty easy; just a bunch of paperwork. But after doing it once, the drill would become routine.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not a good idea. Our Canuckistan cars' engines are especially designed to be lubricated with maple syrup, not motor oil.

Reactions: Kaxon

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Federal sales tax (GST) is 5% and is refundable to a U.S. citizen buying a car in Canada and registering it in the States.
Alberta has no Provincial tax. Don't know if the tax charged in other provinces would be refundable.
So the net Canadian tax paid by a U.S. citizen buying a used Porsche in Alberta would be 0%.

The duty to bring the car into the U.S. is 2.5% though, regardless of the province in which the car is purchased.

I bought a number of cars in the U.S. when the price differential wasn't nearly what is is today between our two countries. Did exceptionally well on every transaction. I'm surprised there isn't a stream of raiding parties lined up at the border to bring Canadian cars into the U.S.
Yeah we're getting back to the days where dealers would offer new trucks up for 6 months at $500 a month then take it back and give you another new one. The 'used' one would head south for $10k more than they could get here.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pretty please, leave our GT4 allocations alone. Given our market size, Canada typically gets approx. 10% of the U.S. number (at least for limited production vehicles). We suffer enough without raiding parties from the south adding to our pain.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Apologies if I missed this in the posts above, but a US dealer is not allowed to sell any 'brand new' Porsche to a Canadian buyer, used as in previously registered in someone's name, yes. I looked at this only a short while back when the exchange rate was they other way around.

I'll bet the same applies to Canadian dealers selling to a US buyer...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts