Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, please don't roast me. I know I should have gotten a manual but I found a great deal on a base model 987.1. This is my first mid/rear engine vehicle and my previous car was a 2006 Mustang GT (and all but one vehicle has been front engine/rear wheel drive). I've been enjoying the car but the transmission response is killing me some days. I've searched the forums but it seems like the general response is typically "Buy a manual." I do enjoy driving it in sport mode to alleviate some of my issues but here are my questions.

1. I changed the rear gears on my Mustang from 3.55's to 3.73's. Can something similar be done with the Cayman?
2. With a number of older American cars, you could buy a shift kit from B&M, which would improve the shift points, making them more precise and quicker (less lag time between the shift points). Anything similar available or is this something that would/could be programmed?

Really looking for some ideas for improving the response from the transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1. I changed the rear gears on my Mustang from 3.55's to 3.73's. Can something similar be done with the Cayman?
The 2.7L engine version of the tiptronic already has the shortest 4.38 final drive. You'd be looking at custom/expensive beyond that.

2. With a number of older American cars, you could buy a shift kit from B&M, which would improve the shift points, making them more precise and quicker (less lag time between the shift points). Anything similar available or is this something that would/could be programmed?
The tiptronic is a 5 speed ZF used in a lot of cars from the 2000s. It's all electronic control so you can't just drop the pan and change a few springs or turn a screw, but someone out there can probably reprogram them to be a bit less lazy. They're popular with the 911 Turbo owners that upgrade them for big power, so you might look in those groups for more info.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you want to wake the car up, the best thing to do with a base 2.7 is headers and a tune (softronic)
Once that’s been sorted, those stupid thumb shifters will drive you mental - the upgrade to PDK paddles is there.... expensive but it’s an option.

You will need
997 steering wheel and airbag
997 steering column control module
Foxwell took to re-code the column

It makes for a slightly less boring experience, but at great cost.
Buying a “good deal” tiptronic car isn’t much of a deal in the long run if you want it to be less boring to drive.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
173 Posts
You might look into installing a Sprint Booster to your throttle. I'm doing same with my '08 CS tiptronic. Doesn't 'add hp' but modifies the curve to how its applied.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Sprint Booster also allows your tiptronic to start in 1st gear at stop signs, rather than 2nd. For a couple of hundred dollars, you will get the feeling of more power for a few months. Then you will see that the SB is actually just adding to what your right foot would be doing all along, just quicker and you do not need to shift into 2nd, like you would with the manual settings.

I agree that after the SB, then comes long tube catless headers and a Softronic tune. Forget the IPD plenum, your 2.7 l motor does not need the 82 mm throttle body. You might first ask Scott at Softronics about a 74mm throttle/plenum or 78 mm GT3 throttle body/plenum from a 2007 model, use him as your guide to extract as much torque as possible from my motor, he will instruct you on which parts to buy. You have got to tie the intake to the exhaust to make the tune work best in your 2.7 engine.

The good news is these is relatively few reports of bore scoring or rod bearing scarring or rod bolts breaking in the 2.7 engine.

Reactions: mfergel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to wake the car up, the best thing to do with a base 2.7 is headers and a tune (softronic)
Once that’s been sorted, those stupid thumb shifters will drive you mental - the upgrade to PDK paddles is there.... expensive but it’s an option.

You will need

Buying a “good deal” tiptronic car isn’t much of a deal in the long run if you want it to be less boring to drive.
Headers and an exhaust are planned for a future upgrade. I want to go with catless headers and also add an intake setup. The plan is to do a tune after those changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might look into installing a Sprint Booster to your throttle. I'm doing same with my '08 CS tiptronic. Doesn't 'add hp' but modifies the curve to how its applied.
Hadn't heard of that. Looks promising. Thanks. Will have to do some more research on that.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
173 Posts
Hmmmm...on my '08 CS as long as its in manual, it waits for you to decide when to shift (on decel it will downshift on its own, but not upshift) And you have to manually select 1st gear. And first gear is VERY short.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm...on my '08 CS as long as its in manual, it waits for you to decide when to shift (on decel it will downshift on its own, but not upshift) And you have to manually select 1st gear. And first gear is VERY short.
Weird. Maybe they changed something for the '08. Mine shifts out of first and I can tell it still has a little headroom left before it needs to shift out of 1st.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
mfergel, maybe the previous owner did you a favor and installed Sprint Booster. You can see it as its attached at the base of the throttle pedal. Usually if you are in manual mode, you will need to nudge you shifter to get 2nd gear. With SB, it will automatically shift into 2nd and downshift back into first when stopping. Not only that but you can select different throttle mapping as assist your right foot. Its a great tool for tiptronic transmissions.

Scott at Softronics will help coach you on your next plenum and long tube headers selections, as he has a formula he has developed over the years. He targets the higher volumetric efficiency of the intake and engine by completely retuning the remaining intake resonance valve, Vario Cam Plus, Ignition, and Fuel delivery maps. I and many others on P9 have used his service very effectively. His race tune has so many points of reference for the engine to follow, it simply runs much smoother from startup to 7000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mfergel, maybe the previous owner did you a favor and installed Sprint Booster. You can see it as its attached at the base of the throttle pedal. Usually if you are in manual mode, you will need to nudge you shifter to get 2nd gear. With SB, it will automatically shift into 2nd and downshift back into first when stopping. Not only that but you can select different throttle mapping as assist your right foot. Its a great tool for tiptronic transmissions.

Scott at Softronics will help coach you on my next plenum and long tube headers selections, as he has a formula he has developed over the years. He targets the higher volumetric efficiency of the intake and engine by completely retuning the remaining intake resonance valve, Vario Cam Plus, Ignition, and Fuel delivery maps. I and many others on P9 have used his service very effectively. His race tune has so many points of reference for the engine to follow, it simply runs much smoother from startup to 7000.
Gosh, I hope it isn't already installed as I'd hate to imagine the tiptronic could be worse than it already is. Plus I haven't seen a remote to change settings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Order the Sprint Booster yesterday after checking out some online reviews/videos. Hoping that helps wake the car up a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Headers and an exhaust are planned for a future upgrade. I want to go with catless headers and also add an intake setup. The plan is to do a tune after those changes.
I am also new to these hi tech cars. I had a 356 and older 911 b4 my current 2008 bs, tiptronic. Caution in removing a cat, here in Calif. your car will fail smog b4 they even stick the wand in your pipe, or so I have been told. I am sure other states are more lenient.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm seeing some good responses. Let me share my situation. My wife wanted a Boxster but needed a Tip. I reluctantly shopped and found a good car. Since I am crazy enough to have several performance Porsches [yes-all with manual clutches] I wasn't that worked up about this car. We have owned it over 10 years now.

The steering wheel control buttons can be a real pain, yet they are kinda fun if you enjoy a challenge. I bought a set of Mercedes steering wheel paddles but haven't bothered installing them. Much cheaper than the Porsche parts. DIY instructions are out there- try Google for more info. Meanwhile I discovered that if you drive it like an old fart, it acts like a poser car. Yes, slow and early shifts, etc. IF you put it in Manual and drive it like a real sports car, the Tip responds suitably and is way better than I ever expected! Having to manually shift into 1st after a complete stop is a bit annoying but learning to do that manual shift into 1st -just- before a complete stop eliminates that silly "clunk" you otherwise get. I've also discovered that when it's used to being driven with plenty of revs the Tip remembers this and it will downshift by itself when you approach a corner hard on the brakes and HOLD that lower gear through a long corner without fail- even if you are in the Automatic mode. Amazing.

Is the double clutch superior? Absolutely, but not as dramatically as most think. The real problem with Tip is it was presented as an option for gentler and many times less skilled drivers. Combine this with lazy road testers who never read the manuals before driving and writing/talking about the cars and you end up with a reputation of it being a lazy unit only suitable to brain dead dopes. There was even a PCA racer who ran one of these. When we first got this it acted lazy but I realized it was easy to reset the trans ECU and drive it as an enthusiast and it quickly woke up. I think it's a shame that so few P car guys and gals have much clue how well these can work. SO- I urge the OP to read your owner's manual and then proceed to DRIVE it like a Porsche, in Manual mode, and you will discover your Tip will respond to this and "get it".

We don't put that many miles on this Porsche and the miles/condition are good enough that I've felt no desire to replace it with a later PDK version. Perhaps someday.

·
Registered
35 Posts

You will need

I'm looking to do the same mod but a few questions 1. You say 997. Is it OK to use a 981 Cayman wheel? 2. If yes how would that change what column control module you need, if at all? 3. Is there a difference between an auto and manual column control module? 4. What is a Foxwell? I'm not sure how to code after the manual swap.

Would be really grateful for any advice as I need to help my mechanic through this I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Warning: If you think you are going to just bolt on a PKD wheel you may be in for a very expensive lesson. This has been tried and discussed many times with a variety of results. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not. Try Googling your question and check results- I recall the best information was on 6speed or Rennlist.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts