Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got rid of my 06' Cayman S back in 2010 because of paranoia about the IMS situation. Loved the car but because of the shabby
treatment by my dealer here in N.E. Pa. I thought it wise to trade the car.
Back then, there didn't seem to be much hope of a recall for the problem with the IMS but I see that there was finally some
accountability.
Was wondering how the unlucky owners of the cars with the IMS problem were dealt with by Porsche and PCNA and if they
are still Porsche owners ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also was paranoid about the IMS issue, but what I did, was simply get a retrofit upgrade, RMS leak fixed, and a new clutch and flywheel.
I do sleep better at night. I try not to deal with the dealer, and instead deal with an Indy. Honestly, they are no bargain either. Even though there is a class-action lawsuit against Porsche regarding the IMS, my VIN number for some reason was excluded from the class so I was never covered but it really doesn't matter because my car will reach 10 years old in March 2015 and be excluded anyways. Now regarding your vehicle, because it's a 2006, the bearing is not removable and the engine would need to be dismantled. I still would not worry because the failure rate on that generation of IMS is under 1%, so the odds are that you would never see a problem. I still drive my Porsche and I'm not worried about it, even though my failure rate it's close to 10% with my particular generation IMS. Still going forward, if I was ever going to buy another Porsche I would make sure it was 2009 or newer when they finally eliminated the IMS poor design altogether.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The early '06 had the 8% failure rate IMS bearing (same as '05). This from the experts in the current issue of Panorama.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Still a low rate that I would not be overly concerned with after removing the bearing seal and changing oil often with Porsche approved oil and maintenance.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The early '06 had the 8% failure rate IMS bearing (same as '05). This from the experts in the current issue of Panorama.
This is misinformation unless you're talking about European 2005 models (2006 for us).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can you please state what is correct in more detail so I understand. Thanks

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
This topic has been beaten to death. All US Caymans from their initial 2006 model year introduction through and including 2008 have the more robust IMS bearing that rarely fails and that can only be replaced by splitting the enginge block. It has been reported that the failure rate is estimated to be in the 1% range and I'm willing to bet it's a lot less than that. More engine failures have occurred due to oil starvation on these same cars, pretty much exclusively on the track, and relatively unheard of on the street. Those who worry about this stuff when owning or buying the same above model year range need to get over it and start enjoying their cars. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Jack, your post seems rather incendiary in nature. So far all the responses have been from people who haven't had an issue and chances are you won't find someone who did. It's been a long time since someone had an actual IMS failure. If you want an answer to your last question then Search is your friend. Except you'll have to weed through the 1000s of posts from paranoid owners to find the handful of posts from owners who actually suffered a failure. And chances are those owners will have a 2005 Boxster with the old design.

Sorry mate, if your goal was to justify your decision, you won't find it here. You've missed out on a great driving experience.

Reactions: Budman

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts

Those so-called experts are wrong. That applies to the 06 BOXSTER only, the 06 Caymans ALL had the newer design, even the early ones, I know, I have an early one and have the newer designed bearing. Perhaps their experts should visit here more often. :p

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
IMG_2162.JPG I'm certain of two things. 1.The PCA expert in Panorama wrote the attached info on the IMS. I don't know independently if he is correct. and, 2. I had a 997 with an IMS failure after 6 years and about 30K miles (after regular maintenance).
Peace,

Attachments

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,767 Posts
'05 and '06 Boxsters have the M96 engine, '07, '08 Boxsters and all Caymans have the M97 engine. I'm not aware of any M97 engines which had an IMS bearing failure. Only some '05 Boxsters were included in the IMS suit. Can we please put this to bed?

Dan, the attached article stated that the M97 engine had a failure rate of 1%.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
^I thought 06 Boxsters had M97 also but cannot be 100% certain. When they switched from M96 to M97 in 2005, some 2005 cars (as MY 2006) may have gotten M96 (some with the latest IMSB, I believe) while others (later ones) got M97.

In any case, the only confirmed IMSB failure in M97 that I'm personally aware of is Boiler Inspector's Cayman S. Several reports of "IMS failure" in various forums but either (A) engine was never torn down and "IMS failure" was a pure conjecture on the mechanic's part, or (B) owners never followed up with proof - only accusation. So, thousands and thousands of posts all over the internet about IMS, only a handful of M97 "IMS failure" reports, and most of them are not even confirmed anyway. Paranoia??? I would say so.

So if you have a Cayman or a later Boxster I'd find something else to worry about. Like Budman said, your engine has a much higher chance of failing from something else other than IMSB.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I had a 997 with an IMS failure after 6 years and about 30K miles (after regular maintenance).
Peace,
What year was your 997, Dan? And was the engine torn down to confirm "IMS" or is that what your indy or dealer told you?

·
Registered
574 Posts
^I thought 06 Boxsters had M97 also but cannot be 100% certain. When they switched from M96 to M97 in 2005, some 2005 cars (as MY 2006) may have gotten M96 (some with the latest IMSB, I believe) while others (later ones) got M97.

In any case, the only confirmed IMSB failure in M97 that I'm personally aware of is Boiler Inspector's Cayman S. Several reports of "IMS failure" in various forums but either (A) engine was never torn down and "IMS failure" was a pure conjecture on the mechanic's part, or (B) owners never followed up with proof - only accusation. So, thousands and thousands of posts all over the internet about IMS, only a handful of M97 "IMS failure" reports, and most of them are not even confirmed anyway. Paranoia??? I would say so.

So if you have a Cayman or a later Boxster I'd find something else to worry about. Like Budman said, your engine has a much higher chance of failing from something else other than IMSB.
^^this. My Dad & I disassembled an 06 engine this past weekend that had a failed #1 rod bearing, most likely due to oil starvation.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Vetman: The 997 was an early '05. The dealer carefully diagnosed it and contacted the factory (they both seemed certain, but I don't know how they came to that conclusion). Unfortunately, this was before the settlement.
The good news for me was that I had sold the car, but got involved in trying to help the buyer get some help from PCNA for a replacement engine.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
'05 and '06 Boxsters have the M96 engine, '07, '08 Boxsters and all Caymans have the M97 engine. I'm not aware of any M97 engines which had an IMS bearing failure. Only some '05 Boxsters were included in the IMS suit. Can we please put this to bed?

Dan, the attached article stated that the M97 engine had a failure rate of 1%.
My '06 Cayman had an IMS failure, after I traded it in.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My '06 Cayman had an IMS failure, after I traded it in.

Cheers
If you don't mind me asking, how was the IMS failure diagnosed? Only reason I ask is because there have been more than 1 report of "IMS failure" that actually turned out to be something else.... Owners got 2nd opinion and the problem was found to be non-IMS related. I'm always a little skeptical because everyone (and I mean everyone) likes to blame IMS in any car that has an IMS bearing. And rarely does an owner look for a definitive answer after being told "IMS failure" by an indy or a dealer based on preliminary look-and-see, i.e. guesstimate.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how was the IMS failure diagnosed? Only reason I ask is because there have been more than 1 report of "IMS failure" that actually turned out to be something else.... Owners got 2nd opinion and the problem was found to be non-IMS related. I'm always a little skeptical because everyone (and I mean everyone) likes to blame IMS in any car that has an IMS bearing. And rarely does an owner look for a definitive answer after being told "IMS failure" by an indy or a dealer based on preliminary look-and-see, i.e. guesstimate.
IMS failure was Dx. at Reeves Porsche of Tampa. Pictures of the blown engine were posted to this forum, as well as the 3.8 L engine that replaced it. However I do not discount your opinion that many so called IMS failures are indeed other internal failures. But if you do not have an IMS in your engine, it cannot fail.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
IMS failure was Dx. at Reeves Porsche of Tampa. Pictures of the blown engine were posted to this forum, as well as the 3.8 L engine that replaced it. However I do not discount your opinion that many so called IMS failures are indeed other internal failures. But if you do not have an IMS in your engine, it cannot fail.

Cheers
Good point, and thank you for the feedback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts