Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my 987.1 S engine rebuilt (98k miles), and am going through several options with the builder. So far, we've discussed a deeper sump, bigger bore, extra oil pump and 74mm intake.

We're now talking about the IMS itself (mine is the single bearing model). The builder recommends junking it for the updated IMS that you cannot remove, as he believes that it is a lifetime fix and he has never seen one fail. But if it does, of course the motor needs to come apart and be rebuilt, so some of his customers insist on an IMS bearing solution so they can change the bearing when they change their clutch. And he's ok doing that.

I can see the argument both ways, and honestly am not sure which is the smarter choice.

If it were your car, and you were planning on building it to be capable of city driving, plus a fast country roadster and occasional autocrosser, which would you go with? New IMS or retrofit IMS bearing?

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the engine is going to be apart anyway, I would do the IMS solution. I doubt you'd have an issue otherwise, but it would just give a little peace of mind. If you're going to the expense of a rebuild the additional cost of the IMS solution shouldn't be that significant.

Just curious- why does the engine need a rebuild at 98k miles?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the engine is going to be apart anyway, I would do the IMS solution. I doubt you'd have an issue otherwise, but it would just give a little peace of mind. If you're going to the expense of a rebuild the additional cost of the IMS solution shouldn't be that significant.

Just curious- why does the engine need a rebuild at 98k miles?
IMS bearing failure, of course. The previous owner was economic about the maintenance done, apparently.

In addition to the other mods, the IMS is definitely going to be fixed. The question is whether the fix should be the updated IMS that you cannot remove, but has a much lower likelihood of failure, or just the updated bearing that you can replace whenever the clutch is, but is more likely to fail.

That's what I am seeking thoughts and opinions on.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Can you elaborate a little- is this an M96 from a very early 987.1? Are you comparing an upgraded ball bearing IMSB to the oil fed plain bearing solution?

I went with the LN ball bearing in my M96 a few years ago along with new clutch, but if doing a full rebuild and the other upgrades you described I'd lean to the oil fed plain bearing.

Reactions: Gordy748

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you elaborate a little- is this an M96 from a very early 987.1? Are you comparing an upgraded ball bearing IMSB to the oil fed plain bearing solution?

I went with the LN ball bearing in my M96 a few years ago along with new clutch, but if doing a full rebuild and the other upgrades you described I'd lean to the oil fed plain bearing.
That's right. The motor is a January 2005 3.2L M96, with the single IMS bearing like the 986s. In rebuilding it, I have the option of spending an additional c. $1,300 getting the 2006 IMS. Pros are the IMS bearing has a much lower likelihood of failing, but the con is another rebuild if the bearing does fail.

Or I get a fix like the LN solution, and replace it with every clutch change. Cost is about half, but the risk of failure is likely higher, and the bearing still needs replaced every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That's right. The motor is a January 2005 3.2L M96, with the single IMS bearing like the 986s. In rebuilding it, I have the option of spending an additional c. $1,300 getting the 2006 IMS. Pros are the IMS bearing has a much lower likelihood of failing, but the con is another rebuild if the bearing does fail.

Or I get a fix like the LN solution, and replace it with every clutch change. Cost is about half, but the risk of failure is likely higher, and the bearing still needs replaced every once in a while.
Sounds like you are comparing 2 different ball bearing IMSBs, correct? Why not consider the conversion to a oil fed plain bearing that eliminates the potentially problematic ball bearing? This is what LN Engineering and Flat six innovations call the IMS Solution. May be worth a look.

Reactions: Gordy748

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The 2006 IMS bearing is still going to wear out / fail at some point. Maybe 100K+ mi but it will fail. Since you have the opportunity, why not build some planned obsolescence into the equation? Go with the replaceable bearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting my 987.1 S engine rebuilt (98k miles), and am going through several options with the builder. So far, we've discussed a deeper sump, bigger bore, extra oil pump and 74mm intake.

We're now talking about the IMS itself (mine is the single bearing model). The builder recommends junking it for the updated IMS that you cannot remove, as he believes that it is a lifetime fix and he has never seen one fail. But if it does, of course the motor needs to come apart and be rebuilt, so some of his customers insist on an IMS bearing solution so they can change the bearing when they change their clutch. And he's ok doing that.

I can see the argument both ways, and honestly am not sure which is the smarter choice.

If it were your car, and you were planning on building it to be capable of city driving, plus a fast country roadster and occasional autocrosser, which would you go with? New IMS or retrofit IMS bearing?
Without question (in my opinion) you should install the IMS Solution (from LN Engineering/Flat 6 Innovations) as mentioned earlier. The failure rate for this fix, I believe, is nonexistent. I have a 2003 Carrera with this fix installed. In addition to this IMS fix, it includes a full flow oil filter that replaces rhe Porsche filter (a definite improvement). Google IMS Solution to obtain a full background on this fix. I think you will be pleased if you go this route.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, zedcat. Good info. For the cost of a new IMS, I was wondering about LN's fix. I think I'll head donw that route rather than install a bearing that is inevitably going to go pop at some point.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Dumb question but future IMS is also on my radar.

I purchased my 2007 Cayman S back in April of this year with 77k miles. Does my car have the M96 engine?
Your car has the M97 engine. It's essentially the same as the M96. It does require splitting of the engine cases to replace the IMS bearing. Just change your oil every 5k miles. I use Joe Gibbs DT40.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your car has the M97 engine. It's essentially the same as the M96. It does require splitting of the engine cases to replace the IMS bearing. Just change your oil every 5k miles. I use Joe Gibbs DT40.
Thank you sir, I will note this. I've done 1 change so far with the recommended Mobil 1, but I will look into other oils for future changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.