Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving from the "Hot Lap" timer to a better system. Any thoughts on what is best? I am thinking Traqmate.
Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
HI I have the Traqmate with Video in my car and love it. What I do not like is the complex wiring system and the lack of HD video.

So I was introduced to this my system called SmartyCam.

SmartyCam, the only on-board camera with real-time data overlay

I think this is the future. Similar features as traqmate, but in a all in one, water proof, HD, SD card system!

Want to buy my traqmate video system?

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Check out racelogic PerformanceBox or if you want something with video look at the VBOX Lite is a great system.

PerformanceBox and DriftBox from VBOX USA

I've used PerformanceBox myself and the data is cool to review, and I'll have my own by the end of the month :cheers:
There's nothing on this link about anything called a VBOX Lite. Please expalin,

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I was introduced to this my system called SmartyCam.
SmartyCam, the only on-board camera with real-time data overlay
I think this is the future. Similar features as traqmate, but in a all in one, water proof, HD, SD card system!

Thanks. Smarty Cam looks good. Any sense of the price? Could not tell from website.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
There's nothing on this link about anything called a VBOX Lite. Please expalin,
VBOX lite is a slightly stripped Video VBOX system and records all the critical data but also has 2 channels (maybe more) for video inputs. Take a look here at Racelogic's main website for all of their products or here at the VBOX site instead as it seems the US website is not up-to-date.

Check out this video from Yas Marina showing video from VBOX lite in a Cayman S. One of my favourite parts is the Porsche style gauges which come with the software, and the fact that no effort is needed to view or upload the videos as you see in this clip....that's me in the passenger seat by the way :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I took a look at the Smarty Cam, $999.00 USD. It appears to be a nice piece of equipment. The thing I like most is that you can upgrade it to an external data logger and dash. One of the paths allows for connection to the CAN bus. When I examined what it could log with the external logger I was surprised to see among other options oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature. All from the CAN bus.

Here's a link to what it can log with the additional logger:

http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/ecu/stock/porsche/Porsche_BoxsterS_CaymanS_MK2_Siemens_EMS_101_eng.pdf

·
PCA Member & National DE Instructor
63 Posts
Hey guys, check out Race Keeper. It can handle up to 4 cameras and plugs into the OBDII so no wire splicing. This is the system Porsche uses at the PDE as does BMW's M School, Mercedes school and Audi school. I am having the system installed tomorrow. The web site is Home | Race-Keeper

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
it seems the US website is not up-to-date.
Actually I lied the US site is up-to-date, but just has a different site for the VBox click here

I also found on the "UK version" of the Race-Keeper website a product comparison overview which for some reason is not on the "US Version" of the site....anyway it gives a good general picture, but does not seem to have the pricing or latest information completely correct, as the VBox lite and Race-Keeper systems with two cameras appear to be around the same price once you get the cameras to the same spec on both.

The other thing seems to be that Racelogic use 10hz or higher (20hz or 100hz on top end systems) GPS for more accurate timing, compared to the others using only 5hz, but overall I think they all have positives and negatives when compared to one another.

It's nice to have options.......I guess if it was me I would take the Racelogic VBox Lite, but I do like the SmartyCam's all in one approach and compactness, and if I was in the US I might go with Race-Keeper just from a support point of view and not dealing with a distributor but the manufacturer themselves should something go wrong......

It may be nice to start a thread listing all of the lap timing equipment that is out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.