Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Boxster S and I would like to install an in dashboard navigation system and rear view camera.
I would appreciate any recommendations for the equipment I should purchase and/or installation concerns.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I put a Kenwood system in mine. Replaced the old PCM system. If you have Bose you'll have to decide if you want to keep the Bose amp or replace it. If you keep it you'll need something along the lines of a MOST HUR harness, replace it and you'll want some kind of 5-channel amp.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not an expert, but I do have an '06 Cayman S with Bose and nav. If you have Bose, you will need a double DIN head unit that has nav and b/u camera features and an interface to the fiber optic amp and speakers, or replace head unit and amp. If not Bose, I think the process would be simpler...replace your head unit with appropriate double DIN unit and install b/u camera. Don't recall if there is double space available or you have to remove a storage bin, etc. The cost to do this with the Bose and the lack of a reputable audio shop here in the Asheville area has resulted in my living with current system. I use a standalone Garmin for GPS since the Bose is not touch screen. If I wanted a b/u camera, I could get the appropriate Garmin (or maybe Android phone app and install a wireless camera. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a Kenwood system in mine. Replaced the old PCM system. If you have Bose you'll have to decide if you want to keep the Bose amp or replace it. If you keep it you'll need something along the lines of a MOST HUR harness, replace it and you'll want some kind of 5-channel amp.
thank you for the information. Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not an expert, but I do have an '06 Cayman S with Bose and nav. If you have Bose, you will need a double DIN head unit that has nav and b/u camera features and an interface to the fiber optic amp and speakers, or replace head unit and amp. If not Bose, I think the process would be simpler...replace your head unit with appropriate double DIN unit and install b/u camera. Don't recall if there is double space available or you have to remove a storage bin, etc. The cost to do this with the Bose and the lack of a reputable audio shop here in the Asheville area has resulted in my living with current system. I use a standalone Garmin for GPS since the Bose is not touch screen. If I wanted a b/u camera, I could get the appropriate Garmin (or maybe Android phone app and install a wireless camera. Keep us posted.
thank you for the information. Stay safe out there

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. It sounds like it makes more sense to get a wireless rear view camera linked to my android.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
22 Posts
I recently put in an android head unit with dashcam, reverse cam, gps nav, bt phone, bt music, android auto, apple CarPlay. Etc. for my 08 CS with Bose. The android head unit was made specifically for the Cayman, i.e. Bose digital sound decoder was included and no faceplate required. The head unit cost me $400. The dongle for android auto / apple CarPlay cost another $40. I did a self install; however, a professional install would set you back about $200.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recently put in an android head unit with dashcam, reverse cam, gps nav, bt phone, bt music, android auto, apple CarPlay. Etc. for my 08 CS with Bose. The android head unit was made specifically for the Cayman, i.e. Bose digital sound decoder was included and no faceplate required. The head unit cost me $400. The dongle for android auto / apple CarPlay cost another $40. I did a self install; however, a professional install would set you back about $200.
Which model did you use and where did you get it? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
22 Posts
I got the Android head unit on Amazon. Amazon.com: XTRONS 8 Inch Android 9.0 Car Stereo Radio Player Octa Core 4G RAM 64G ROM Double Din GPS Navigation Touch Screen Head Unit Supports WiFi OBD2 DVR TPMS Backup Camera for Porsche 911 Cayman Boxster: Car Electronics

Again, the biggest appeal for this $400 Android head unit was that it was custom made for 911/Boxster/Cayman with an optical fiber decoder included. So the install was mostly plug-n-play since all the wire harnesses are made specifically for Porsches.

If you want Android Auto / Apple Carplay, spend another $50 for a dongle. Amazon.com: XTRONS Car Auto Play Mini Dongle USB Android Auto Receiver Adapter for iPhone & Android Smartphone Work with Android Car Stereo GPS Navigation DVD Radio Player: Car Electronics. FYI, the wireless version is Amazon.com: XTRONS Wireless Car Auto Play Mini Dongle USB Android Auto Receiver Adapter for iPhone & Android Smartphone Work with Android Car Stereo GPS Navigation DVD Radio Player: GPS & Navigation.

See my review of the unit on Amazon. Basically, If I do it over again, I would look for something with physical buttons for volume control, forward/reverse music control. I don't know if such a unit exists though.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
As you can see this is doable a number of ways. You can probably get a package with all the stuff needed and instructions from Crutchfield. They didn't have anything for my 16 981 but do have for earlier cars. They did refer me to their website listing of qualitied installers and I had one do everything on mine - Apple Car Play, Bluetooth, hands free, backup, with a $295 Alpine unit. It was $1412 for everything installed. Left the Bose in and it sounds better than original.

·
Registered
2007 Base Boxster, 2013 Base Cayenne
2 Posts
When I bought my 07 Boxster in 2011 I was really horrified by the radio. I had a local shop put in an Alpine unit with nav. I later added an backup camera and some better speakers. It's the best thing I ever did! The Alpine is an HD Radio and the sound is fantastic roof up or down. Little things like if I pause the memory stick, it is still paused at the same spot when I start the car again make me really appreciate the setup I got. My only regret is that I have yet to be able to change the splash screen from Alpine to Porsche. I have never been able to find a way to do this on my particular unit, Alpine INA-W910. Alpine has a new head unit that I'm seriously considering because it has Apple and Android play which mine does not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this on my 06 CS with Bose. I skipped the HUR harness and got this one instead for $100 bucks:

I bought a Kenwood system at Best Buy actually that came with free installation. The installation guys had never worked on a Porsche before so they blocked out a few hours to sort it out. All told the job took less than 2 hours. The sound quality is great and I couldn't have asked for a better installation.

I am still looking for a cam so if you all have any suggestions please share!

·
El Coco
8 Posts
I just did this on my 06 CS with Bose. I skipped the HUR harness and got this one instead for $100 bucks:

I bought a Kenwood system at Best Buy actually that came with free installation. The installation guys had never worked on a Porsche before so they blocked out a few hours to sort it out. All told the job took less than 2 hours. The sound quality is great and I couldn't have asked for a better installation.

I am still looking for a cam so if you all have any suggestions please share!
That's is a great option...leave along all the speakers and basically put any system to replace the original unit. Is this correct?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, if you get the decoder, then just replace your head unit and plug this in between the HU and the speakers. Keeps your Bose amp and speakers in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool - I have not heard of this being built into a head unit. Which unit did you get?

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
22 Posts
I have this FOB02 optical fiber decoder installed in my CS. Notice that the decoder only takes one R-audio and one L-audio input even though my head unit outputs five audio channels (Front L&R, Rear L&R, and Sub.) So it looks like this decoder is simply taking the sound from the front channels and send to the rear speakers, i.e. sounds that can only be heard from the rear in the original music track will be lost. I'm OK with it because it does the job and it's not about high fidelity in this kind of car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts