Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got the Android head unit on Amazon. Amazon.com: XTRONS 8 Inch Android 9.0 Car Stereo Radio Player Octa Core 4G RAM 64G ROM Double Din GPS Navigation Touch Screen Head Unit Supports WiFi OBD2 DVR TPMS Backup Camera for Porsche 911 Cayman Boxster: Car Electronics

Again, the biggest appeal for this $400 Android head unit was that it was custom made for 911/Boxster/Cayman with an optical fiber decoder included. So the install was mostly plug-n-play since all the wire harnesses are made specifically for Porsches.

If you want Android Auto / Apple Carplay, spend another $50 for a dongle. Amazon.com: XTRONS Car Auto Play Mini Dongle USB Android Auto Receiver Adapter for iPhone & Android Smartphone Work with Android Car Stereo GPS Navigation DVD Radio Player: Car Electronics. FYI, the wireless version is Amazon.com: XTRONS Wireless Car Auto Play Mini Dongle USB Android Auto Receiver Adapter for iPhone & Android Smartphone Work with Android Car Stereo GPS Navigation DVD Radio Player: GPS & Navigation.

See my review of the unit on Amazon. Basically, If I do it over again, I would look for something with physical buttons for volume control, forward/reverse music control. I don't know if such a unit exists though.
Can you post some pictures of the stereo installed please? I might pull the trigger on this since my stock stereo CDR needs to be unlocked by the dealer costing me $300.00 to do so. So just to be clear you installed this with the Bose system? Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
22 Posts
Can you post some pictures of the stereo installed please? I might pull the trigger on this since my stock stereo CDR needs to be unlocked by the dealer costing me $300.00 to do so. So just to be clear you installed this with the Bose system? Thanks!
Attached is the requested pic. And yes, I installed in a CS with a Bose system; you can see the Bose subwoofer on the right side of the pic.
Again, if I get a do-over I'd look for a head unit with physical buttons for volume and song fwd/rev. In the meantime, I improvised by installing a $20 steering wheel control (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Smart-Steering-Wheel-Controller-Wireless-Universal-Multifunctional-DVD-Navigation-Button-Key-Remote-Control/928981800).

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Attached is the requested pic. And yes, I installed in a CS with a Bose system; you can see the Bose subwoofer on the right side of the pic.
Again, if I get a do-over I'd look for a head unit with physical buttons for volume and song fwd/rev. In the meantime, I improvised by installing a $20 steering wheel control (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Smart-Steering-Wheel-Controller-Wireless-Universal-Multifunctional-DVD-Navigation-Button-Key-Remote-Control/928981800).
Thank you for the pictures, much appreciated! i hate to say it but I have been without a radio for about 3 years! been putting it off so at this point as long as I can hear music ill be happy lol thank you once again. ill make sure to order the controller as well!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would get a head unit without Nav but with Apple Carplay or Android equivalent. You can then use Waze as both Nav and protection. I don't use factory Nav in any of car which have Apple Carplay. With Waze, maps are always up to date, I get traffic flow information, speed protection more effective than radar.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ended up buying the stereo I am currently awaiting to arrive :) I also just bought the buttons from Walmart I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
SO I received the stereo today and realized I would have to be splicing cables so I stopped! you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the wiring harness all plugged in would you? I might just have to take it to a shop to install it for me i cant find any go bys online.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Onecks787 I don't know if you've taken care of this already but Crutchfield sells an interface for the Bose system. It's not cheap but it works. I needed to call the interface maker because because the instructions were a bit confusing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts