Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, so I might as well make it interesting...

I live in the California Sierra Nevada mountains, at about 6,000 feet. The desert and mountain roads here and in nearby Nevada are not only beautiful, but ideal for the kind of 4-wheeling and highly spirited driving that I love. There are wild and scenic highways that rarely see the Highway Patrol.

This summer, I picked up a 2014 Cayman S. It's a factory demo, CPO, with almost every option. I have previously owned and thoroughly enjoyed an '86 944 Turbo. The Cayman is a hoot. I've been exploring its limits, but haven't yet reached them. But it has brought back the sheer joy of driving that I experienced in the 951,

Today, I was alone, carving up a narrow canyon less than an hour from my house. Scenic creek, waterfalls and rocky cliffs. Just enjoying the afternoon on a clear, sunny day. Suddenly... BAM! I had run over an unseen rock that blew out the right front tire. I wasn't going too fast; didn't lose control, and just pulled off safely onto the shoulder. The tire was toast. Just to make things a bit more challenging, there was no cell coverage.

Fortunately, one of the first 'mods' I made to the car was the addition of a donut spare. Living out here in the wilds, over 200 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer, I thought that it was good insurance. So I bought one of those red 17" 987 alloy spare wheels on eBay, and fitted a new Continental compact spare tire whose outer diameter matched that of my front tire. All the tools and accessories worked as expected, and I had the spare on in about fifteen minutes.

When I closely examined the blown tire, I was shocked to find that the impact had actually ruptured the inner rim of the wheel. This, an EOM 20" Carrera Classic II. Damn, that sucker is gonna cost me.

But I count myself lucky that I could drive the forty-some miles home without incident. The spare worked like a charm. Obviously, my onboard compressor and bottle of slime wouldn't have resolved this crisis. I think that there is a moral to this tale.

Incidentally, if anybody has any suggestions about where I can find a replacement wheel, at less than dealer prices, I would appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Where is there room for the spare?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen them in the frunk. But mine tucks neatly into the rear 'trunk', inside a black vinyl cover and secured by straps. Only the tip of the tire sticks up above the engine cover. You can barely see it in the rear view mirror. Frankly, it looks like it was made to fit there. As they say, "I'll never leave home without it".

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Neat! Thanks. Great work. I'll think about it for my Boxster.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I have and ride two motorcycles. Both bikes have tubed tires so there is no point in carrying a plug and I certainly can't carry a spare. I think about flats but I just don't worry about them. It is the same with my Cayman. I think about a flat but I am not going to worry enough to carry a spare. We aren't far from the time when no new cars will carry a spare. I'll just live with it. (I live, ride, and drive in a part of the country that has good cell coverage. That will have to do.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too have a spare mounted in the frunk of my 987 that I bought off ebay. Luckily I haven't had to use it but I travel to South Texas quite a bit and there are no dealers once I leave Houston.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
It's good that it worked for you. And sucks that rim is a toast. Can you post pictures? It's kinda unusual I'd say...

Still, the odds of needing spare are so slim for average driver. I did not need spare once in last 10 years, and my wife needed it once. So I it's 0.5 for my family in last 10 years. So I'm willing to waste some time and just call a flatbed truck. Even if there is no cell coverage, you'd eventually see somebody who'd call a flatbed. Of course it won't be 15 minutes. But even if it's 4 hours... spread over the years the lost time is nothing.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I carry a Boxster spare tire kit in the Frunk to ward off evil spirits. So far so good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fortunately, one of the first 'mods' I made to the car was the addition of a donut spare. Living out here in the wilds, over 200 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer, I thought that it was good insurance. So I bought one of those red 17" 987 alloy spare wheels on eBay, and fitted a new Continental compact spare tire whose outer diameter matched that of my front tire. All the tools and accessories worked as expected, and I had the spare on in about fifteen minutes.
Can you give details on which donut spare you have and where you got it? Is it the porsche donut spare kit with jack and all? Thats really pricey I think.

Thanks,
Kenny

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I also have carried those spare tires in all of my Porsches since I bought them. Only one of them actually came with one. I now have two of them and would take them both when we had our Cayman and went on long trips with other Porsches "just in case".

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Could you post a picture ?

I've seen them in the frunk. But mine tucks neatly into the rear 'trunk', inside a black vinyl cover and secured by straps. Only the tip of the tire sticks up above the engine cover. You can barely see it in the rear view mirror. Frankly, it looks like it was made to fit there. As they say, "I'll never leave home without it".

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Can you give details on which donut spare you have and where you got it? Is it the porsche donut spare kit with jack and all? Thats really pricey I think.
Kenny: It's not the pricey kit offered by Suncoast. Just google "PORSCHE BOXSTER 17" SPARE TIRE WHEEL" on eBay. I got an unused red spare wheel for $125, and fitted a brand new 17" compact spare tire that is 26.5" outside diameter that cost me $60. Total cost, including mounting less than $200. It performed flawlessly on the ride home at speeds up to 50 mph. Here it is still on the car, as well as a shot of the damaged wheel. I need to order a new tire and wheel.

Porsche Wheel 004.JPG P1010014.JPG

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Can you post a picture of the covered spare in the trunk? It would be interesting to know if you can still carry golf clubs with the spare ....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did the exact same thing for my 07 Cayman S, I seek out the same type of roads, I am more like 500 miles from a dealer, and usually at least 100 miles from a tire shop that I would trust with my wheels. I may never get to mount the tire, but the peace of mind is reassuring, as many of the roads here have no cell coverage. The benefit that comes with this "remoteness" of course is that the Highway Patrol rarely venture here, making the driving experience much more relaxed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, when one has the undesirable situation of getting a flat, and you do have a spare....

Where does one put the now removed flat tire? Passenger seat, kicking anyone in it, out? :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts