Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a purchase underway with CarMax for 2013 Boxster S with 45,000 miles, one owner, but no service history.

You get a five day period to drive the car and if for any reason you don't want it, they refund your purchase price when you return the car in good condition.

Any advice on what to evaluate during those five days?

I'm thinking of having my local independent shop do a PPI as well.

CarMax gives you 30 days, 100% warranty on parts and labor, then a fairly reasonable option for extended warranty, probably will go for that if I love the car(likely).

This will be my eighth Porsche, but hopefully not my last.

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
305 Posts
You should literally create a checklist of every item on the car and check functionality and normal operating parameters. Have the PPI do an Overrev check, leakdown test, etc. I like changing the oil and cutting the Oil filter open and checking for debris. Check the front radiators and Air Con Evap for road damage, check switches, buttons, etc. Some say to check paint density to check for resprays and previous accidents.

Best of luck on the new purchase. Your going to LOVE this car.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd look for delayed maintenance items. At that mileage, it should have had its plugs changed along with oil and the like.

Also, check brake pads and rotors. I'll bet it needs them. Parts are pricey, dealer is a fortune.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd look for delayed maintenance items. At that mileage, it should have had its plugs changed along with oil and the like.

Also, check brake pads and rotors. I'll bet it needs them. Parts are pricey, dealer is a fortune.
Great point. When I purchased my car, there were NO service records on any of the "CarFax" sites. I called the local dealer where the care was purchased to find out the service history of the vehicle, to my horror, they had no records. However, the previous owner had very diligently recorded each service with the dealer stamp in the Maintenance book!!! I've yet to go back to the dealer to find out why there is a gap.

Moral of the story is to call the dealer and get as much information regarding past vehicle history as possible. If the car has not had it's regular maintenance, it might be a red flag.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The car was warrantied for 4 years & 50k miles. If there was a major problem during that period, Porsche should have it in their records. Outside of the major items, follow the advice above. Check the function of every switch, check operating temps, etc. Change the oil and ask the tech to inspection the oil. It should also be due for transmission fluid and brake fluid.
I purchased my 2014 Cayman S from Carmax last year, so it was still under factory warranty. I asked my local Porsche dealership to do a PPI but they said they no longer did those for cars purchased outside of Porsche. It sounded like like too much liability? But they did give the service history they had, they cleared one recall issue, and they did a visual inspection underneath and checked all the fluids.
If you purchase the car, put it through its paces as much as possible in those first 5 days. You are in California, so run it hard for at least 30 minutes on a hot day, try some stop and go traffic, try a good canyon run. If there are issues, maybe you will find them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased my 2013 Boxster S from CarMax last June. It was a reasonable process and I'm satisfied with the outcome. I also purchased an extended service agreement as the car had just come off the Porsche new car warranty. Not used it yet. After buying the car, I used the 5 day return period to have an extensive PPI done by a local independent Porsche shop. I also had them do a basic oil / filter change. The PPI report was excellent so I still have the car. CarMax or the broker they acquired the car from got rid of the monroney, Cert. of Authenticity and factory service booklet from the previous owner (who I tracked down). This seems to be common at CarMax and some other mass used car retailers. The previous owner supplied me with the complete service history. Porsche only had some of the records and didn't have all of the information that was on the Monroney, which the previous owner had a photo of. So I got lucky there.
I've found that CarMax seems to undervalue the Porsche options book. Their prices appear to reflect model, year, and mileage but a lot of the expensive Porsche options don't up the price. So I think buying a Porsche through CarMax *can* be a good value if you are looking for a heavily optioned car.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'm feeling pretty good about CarMax so far. They are moving the Boxster from Seattle to San Jose. Been told it could take 21 days! Hell I could walk that fast.

I think I will buy the 75k/60 month with $50 deductible, price is $2,999. The price for 100k is $5079, which seems excessive as I will never put those miles on the car.

I hope the owners book is in the car. I've been told if I take it to any Porsche dealer they can pull the service records. I know Honda can.

I may have the dealer do a rev report if my Independed shop can't.

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
605 Posts
?I hope the owners book is in the car. I've been told if I take it to any Porsche dealer they can pull the service records. I know Honda ? I?ve had problems getting records from dealers on used cars in California. I?ve been told the records are protected information even when I had already bought the car. I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I almost bought a 2014 Boxster base from CarMax San Antonio. I flew there from SF and gave them a few days notice that I was going to see and test drive the car. I was surprised to find the car was not totally clean. What really got me was when I lifted the hood and found green colored dirt along both fender tops and windshield cowl. The green stuffed looked like algae (possibly from a flood). I complained to them why they would show me an unclean car and they said "don't worry, we'll have it cleaned once you buy it." Of course I did not buy the car.

Just sharing my experience with CarMax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another data point - I just bought a 13 BS from Carmax and had a great experience. Transfer was only $249 (regional) which was cheaper than driving or flying to look at it. Found the previous owners insurance card wedged in with the manuals. Found them with Google, and got the car's history. Full service at the dealer (who would only give me the records after naming the previous owner and saying they would call to release records). Communication throughout the process (reserving, transferring, etc) was very good. I went ahead and bought the warranty ($500 deduct 5/75) - thinking I could always refund unused if I determine it's not effective.

Caveat Emptor like any used car purchase. Nice cars/deals can be had though.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
?I hope the owners book is in the car. I've been told if I take it to any Porsche dealer they can pull the service records. I know Honda ? I?ve had problems getting records from dealers on used cars in California. I?ve been told the records are protected information even when I had already bought the car. I hope you have better luck.
Not true. Only the dealer that provided the service keeps a record of the service performed, at least that's the way it is in my area.

When I purchased my car, there were NO service records on any of the "CarFax" sites. I called the local dealer where the care was purchased to find out the service history of the vehicle, to my horror, they had no records
I think they just weren't being cooperative, assuming of course that the dealer performed the service. Each dealer keeps a record of the service they performed, and most but not all will be willing to share that information. I expect that if that dealership were selling that car, that the records would be magically be found. ;)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I did see on the CarFax that the car was serviced by the dealer in Sacramento, all maintenance was per schedule. But great to speak to the former owner, hopefully there is a clue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.