Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am a little stuck on color. I am usually quite a bit more decisive when it comes to cars and colors. I would love to get opinions on colors from people who care about such things.

Here is the issue I am having, presented in more or less stream of consciousness format.

I wanted a Porsche since I was around 6

Porsche Commercial

I finally bough a used 993 in 1997, not my first choice in colors, I wanted Polar Silver / Black, however, knowing that you can't go wrong with Guards Red / Black, and the car being a decent deal, and me being younger and not realizing that finding the perfect car would be a fun adventure, that is what I settled on.

I have had a thing for white cars for the past 5 years or so. Conntrary to popular belief, white is an easy color to maintain and keep looking relatively clean, it also does not show dings, scratches or other imperfections as readily as darker colors. It can also be touched up easily, unlike metallic colors. I have a ding in the roof of my BMW, I am thinking a truck kicked up a chunk of rubber or something, I only notice when waxing the car, and every time I notice it, I can't help but think of how awful that would be had I chosen black. The BMW I have only came in Alpine White, Metallic Black, and Valencia Orange Metallic, so White was an easy choice. I remember the sales guy trying to get me to order the Orange as it was an 'exclusive' color to the car and not 2 years later they offered the same color on an X1, Z4 and the F 800 GT Motorcycle.

The clincher for me on deciding to order the Cayman GTS was the season opener from Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Kevin Hart. They were driving in a 1959 RSK Spyder. There is a bit at the end where the car makes some amazing noises -- I had just driven the Cayman S a couple of days previous and the sound the Cayman S is just so alluring. I am not saying the Cayman sounds as good as the RSK, they are different cars, but they both sound fantastic!

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - Kevin Hart

Back to colors

So I ordered my GTS in GT Silver. I have a fall back order for white, as I am doing european delivery and I have read in places that ze Germans drill holes in your front bumper to mount the plate bracket. Not something I do. I have been assured that they will tape the plate onto the car (which is what BMW does). In my experience in dealing with Germans, they have their procedures, and that is what they do. So I give it a 73% chance there well be no drilling.

To me there are certain cars attached to certain colors. I don't understand blue Ferraris, or green Porsches, and after Breaking Bad, I think we can all agree that you don't have to be a science teacher to understand that the Pontiac Aztek is best in Pewter Metallic Clearcoat.

I am starting to wonder if the Rhodium Silver may be the way to go. It seems that while GT Silver is beautiful, it seems more suited to the bigger 911 than to the Cayman. The Rhodium silver seems more like a classic color to me, like the Speedsters and 930s from days of yore, a more pure silver, mercury, or the color of metal.

Carrera white is still not off the table, the only issue I have with the white, just as Kim Kardashian should avoid horizontally striped pants, it makes the height of the side of the car stand out a bit and (ironically for this conversation, as GT Silver was one of 5 standard colors on the Carrera GT) makes the Carrera GT like scoops down the side of the car less distinct.

I have seen the car in Carrera White and Rhodium Silver in real life, I like both, I have seen other cars in the GT Silver, just not a Cayman.

I have also ordered the platinum satinmat Carrera S wheels, I am thinking that if I stay with the GT Silver I might just go with the silver wheels, as the contrast between chrome bits and the silver wheels on the Carrera GT look great!

Thoughts?

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
So, I am a little stuck on color. I am usually quite a bit more decisive when it comes to cars and colors. I would love to get opinions on colors from people who care about such things.

Here is the issue I am having, presented in more or less stream of consciousness format.

Porsche Commercial

I finally bough a used 993 in 1997, not my first choice in colors, I wanted Polar Silver / Black, however, knowing that you can't go wrong with Guards Red / Black, and the car being a decent deal, and me being younger and not realizing that finding the perfect car would be a fun adventure, that is what I settled on.

I have had a thing for white cars for the past 5 years or so. Conntrary to popular belief, white is an easy color to maintain and keep looking relatively clean, it also does not show dings, scratches or other imperfections as readily as darker colors. It can also be touched up easily, unlike metallic colors. I have a ding in the roof of my BMW, I am thinking a truck kicked up a chunk of rubber or something, I only notice when waxing the car, and every time I notice it, I can't help but think of how awful that would be had I chosen black. The BMW I have only came in Alpine White, Metallic Black, and Valencia Orange Metallic, so White was an easy choice. I remember the sales guy trying to get me to order the Orange as it was an 'exclusive' color to the car and not 2 years later they offered the same color on an X1, Z4 and the F 800 GT Motorcycle.

The clincher for me on deciding to order the Cayman GTS was the season opener from Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Kevin Hart. They were driving in a 1959 RSK Spyder. There is a bit at the end where the car makes some amazing noises -- I had just driven the Cayman S a couple of days previous and the sound the Cayman S is just so alluring. I am not saying the Cayman sounds as good as the RSK, they are different cars, but they both sound fantastic!

Back to colors

So I ordered my GTS in GT Silver. I have a fall back order for white, as I am doing european delivery and I have read in places that ze Germans drill holes in your front bumper to mount the plate bracket. Not something I do. I have been assured that they will tape the plate onto the car (which is what BMW does). In my experience in dealing with Germans, they have their procedures, and that is what they do. So I give it a 73% chance there well be no drilling.

To me there are certain cars attached to certain colors. I don't understand blue Ferraris, or green Porsches, and after Breaking Bad, I think we can all agree that you don't have to be a science teacher to understand that the Pontiac Aztek is best in Pewter Metallic Clearcoat.

I am starting to wonder if the Rhodium Silver may be the way to go. It seems that while GT Silver is beautiful, it seems more suited to the bigger 911 than to the Cayman. The Rhodium silver seems more like a classic color to me, like the Speedsters and 930s from days of yore, a more pure silver, mercury, or the color of metal.

Carrera white is still not off the table, the only issue I have with the white, just as Kim Kardashian should avoid horizontally striped pants, it makes the height of the side of the car stand out a bit and (ironically for this conversation, as GT Silver was one of 5 standard colors on the Carrera GT) makes the Carrera GT like scoops down the side of the car less distinct.

I have seen the car in Carrera White and Rhodium Silver in real life, I like both, I have seen other cars in the GT Silver, just not a Cayman.

I have also ordered the platinum satinmat Carrera S wheels, I am thinking that if I stay with the GT Silver I might just go with the silver wheels, as the contrast between chrome bits and the silver wheels on the Carrera GT look great!

Thoughts?
Selecting the color is the most difficult decision for many (including me). I think GT Silver looks great. Rhodium can have a blue tint, which you may or may not like. I think there are too many white and black and grey cars already on the road, so I would go with something more interesting.

As to the Eurodelivery: In Leipzig they taped the plate. In Stuttgart it depends on who you get during the delivery.

I'll respond with what will surely be a pattern of people saying their car color is the best color.

Speed Yellow.
Which is not as good as the current racing yellow :hilarious: :cheers:

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was under the impression that the white now offered is different to cararra white, which was available on the 987. I think GT silver will look amazing and be quite unique in that many would select rhodium over the GT silver on account of the price premium.

I have a 991 GTS on offer and went through what you are going through now, so understand your pain. At the end of the day, it's your money so do what will make you happy.

is Polar silver on the PTS list?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Guards Red and Racing Yellow are always on the top of my list for Porsches. But I believe the color defines the car's image and owner's image as well.

Therefore, if it's a 981 I'd go for yellow, if it's a 991 GT3 I'd go for red and if it's a 991 turbo I went for Rhodium and I'm happy with my choice after seeing it on a Panamera.

GT Silver was too dark for me. White is absolutely not on my list for any Porsche. I almost begged for a 991 GT3 allocation at the dealer but I missed the deadline. There was a white GT3 at the showroom that I could've walked away with, but I couldn't even look at it twice... but that's me. And I ended up settling for a turbo which was never on my shopping list.

My advice is, what's the image you want to portray for yourself while driving your Porsche? If you want to look rational, go for white, gray, black or silver. If you want to go passionate, go for red or yellow.

I love all three colors; silver, red and yellow... but as stated above, each for a different Porsche.

Another determining factor is, what interior color do you want? I wanted black/red interior on my turbo as a MUST-HAVE. That was another reason why red or yellow exterior wouldn't have worked for my turbo. In the case of the GT3, there were no colored interior options therefore red exterior was a perfect match.

Best of luck with your choice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My advice is, what's the image you want to portray for yourself while driving your Porsche? If you want to look rational, go for white, gray, black or silver. If you want to go passionate, go for red or yellow.
This sounds like good advice to me. I will add that when I chose gray I took into consideration that my car would be a daily driver and I didn't want to stand out too much. Since I'm driving past the the same speed traps every day, eventually the cops might start thinking "maybe today's the day I'll get that bright red/yellow Porsche!".

Reactions: ronaldvetteron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guards Red and Racing Yellow are always on the top of my list for Porsches. But I believe the color defines the car's image and owner's image as well.

I love all three colors; silver, red and yellow... but as stated above, each for a different Porsche.
Good points!

I live in Canada, I used to live in Southern Callifornia, and that is where I purchased my 993 and drove around for three years without many issues, and when I was pulled over, I would have pulled me over if I were a cop. When I moved back to Canada, I brought my 993 with me. In the year I had it here, I was pulled over SEVEN times, twice justifiably, but the other five were just for nonesense. I was ticketed twice. I also drove a silver S4 and although I drove pretty much at the same pace, I was not stopped by the man in that car at all.

i have to think that there is some truth to the arrest me red theory. I am thinking along the same lines as NJ Steve there!

The other issue I have is the flash factor. My favorite car, as in if you asked me what car I would want if I could have any car ever made , it would be a 95 McLaren F1 GTR, and I would definitely get it and orange because that's the color for that car. With the amount I would drive the McLaren, I would not worry about it. I plan on driving the Cayman more, although it will not be my daily driver.

There are jealous people everywhere, in Canada there seems to be a disproportionate number of people with the attitude that people with nice things don't deserve them. I try not to let it bother me, but I have worked hard since I was 17 years old, I have managed my money well and made prudent decisions on how to allocate my resources, if I want to spend my money on a car that's my business. I'm not really worried about people making comments, because quite frankly, I don't care. I am worried about people seeing a nice car in a parking lot and then deciding I'm going to pick my park my crappy truck 6 inches from that guys car and then open my door into it. I have seen it happen.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have a GT silver BGTS. A few things:

It looks amazing and I can tell you that no pictures do a silver car justice.
Somebody on here has a CGTS in GT Silver and posts outstanding pics. Search for it.
I posted a thread about two weeks ago where I parked my car next to a rhodium silver CS. it really shows the contrast, albeit on a cloudy day. But you can see how they differ.
Personally, I think the GT silver is amazing and well worth the premium. Paint is probably the single most important aesthetic factor outside of the car shape itself (wheel choice being #3).
However, only you can decide.

Steve

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Color is purely subjective. What good is it if someone ELSE tells you what their favorite color is?

Go to the dealership and look. (The Porsche website does not faithfully reproduce colors onto your monitor at home and therefore won't be of sufficient help.) Pick what you like. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Bueller...
I saw a GT Silver Cayman GTS at my dealer... he "offered" it rather than wait for my car to be built in Jan.
The GT Silver had black satin wheels, X73 (so it sat nice an low) and was stunning. It was a really difficult decision to stay with my ordered Racing Yellow car, opting for the more "fun" color rather than "stunning and stately". Like a couple of other folks, the Rhodium Silver is nice, but it seems not as classic as the GT silver (guess that's why PAG charges an extra 2K or so for the classic).
If you see GT silver next to Rhodium silver you can "see" the difference.

Alas, I'm staying (and waiting) for Racing Yellow GTS!
Donnie

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I agree, the GT Silver is very different from the Rhodium Silver. If you're going for silver, don't trust the sample colors at the dealer. You must see both colors on a car. Not on pictures either.

BTW even seeing both colors on a Macan is different. Try to see both on a 991 or 981.

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Registered
219 Posts

Porsche Commercial

Back to colors

Thoughts?
I chose GT Silver for my CS. I was really starting to be doubtful while waiting for the car. But on the day I went to my dealer for delivery of the car, I was blast. The colour is just fantastic (at least in my opinion). You can't go wrong with that colour...

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I chose GT Silver for my CS. I was really starting to be doubtful while waiting for the car. But on the day I went to my dealer for delivery of the car, I was blast. The colour is just fantastic (at least in my opinion). You can't go wrong with that colour...

View attachment 54255
Look, I saw the Silver GT on a new 991 turbo S in person and I hated it. But... mashallah it looks GORGEOUS on your 981. It's far better looking on a 981 than on a 991.

Mashallah again... Loved your car.

Reactions: 293866

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL!

I had a specific car I was thinking about... It was a dark metallic green 997 with a green leather interior with creme piping. I guess it was a custom order, and the guy who ordered it left the dealership hanging. It sat at the dealer for TWO years waiting for someone to buy it.

I like your green, it's fun! Not me, but cool!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I have ordered my Cayman in Riviera Blue but I'm paying for that choice. It's been on order for at least 3 months and not due until approx March/April 2015
I have ordered with full leather in Agate Grey/Pebble Grey with Agate Grey carpets
Roll on March ............... Hopefully
STUNNING CHOICE!!! I saw it on a GT3 RS 4.0 and stayed obsessed with it ever sense. But I never knew PTS take this long to deliver!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts