Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just in the process of moving to the Valencia / Santa Clarita area - any recommendations in Indi repair shops that also do smog tests? Went to a smog place tonight that seemed super dodgy and a quick google search seems to reveal that there are lots of scammers out there.

Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow nobody???

So question for the CA folk, went to a place with my 981 Boxster, they wanted an extra $30 and said they had to remove the front engine cover (behind the seats) to inspect the front of the engine (PCV Valve etc.) for the SMOG test, does this seem right or is this a scam?

TJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems like a bit of BS to me. Haven't had to take the cayman in for a smog yet; but I believe cars that are MY2000 or newer are checked via OBDII. The only reason I can see them needing to inspect your PCV valve is if your car isn't passing smog. I say find another smog testing station.

In regards to finding a reputable shop, what I've seen most people suggest is to join your local PCA and see what their members recommend. Or you can try doing a search using yelp and that should at least help filter out the horrible shops.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, they do inspect the engine and I typically remove the engine cover for them. Nobody has offered to charge to me to do it but I doesn’t surprise me. Just do it yourself before you drive over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts