Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i currently drive a boxster s 981 6mt and i have found the sound to be lacking even with sport plus engaged

are there any exhaust mods i can do that are under 1000$?

the car is a daily driver so the sound cant be too overcoming

thank you for reading

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've tried Borla and FVD..... way too much drone with PDK. The best sound I've found and at a way good price is through Cantrell Motorsports ....they do the Carnewal mods to your stock muffler. Fantastic sound and ZERO DRONE.

·
Registered
700 Posts
There's a free exhaust mod some have done involving loosening a clamp and sliding a sleeve over to create a gap in the crossover between the mufflers. I have not done this but several have, searching free exhaust mod should bring up some threads.

Also the Carnewal mod is a modified stock exhaust so should be cheaper than buying an entirely new exhaust. I have heard some sound clips that sound good and it seems to have good reviews by adopters for the sound and lack of drone. You can also search this and find video sound clips.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think it's fun that Fabspeed thinks it's necessary to label their exhaust with left and right. Probably reduces the phone calls...?

·
Registered
120 Posts
As mentioned... Carnewal modified exhaust is what I would consider... they also keep the "Porsche" sound :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a free exhaust mod some have done involving loosening a clamp and sliding a sleeve over to create a gap in the crossover between the mufflers. I have not done this but several have, searching free exhaust mod should bring up some threads.

Also the Carnewal mod is a modified stock exhaust so should be cheaper than buying an entirely new exhaust. I have heard some sound clips that sound good and it seems to have good reviews by adopters for the sound and lack of drone. You can also search this and find video sound clips.
i have tried searching for the free exhaust mod to no avail..

sounds interesting..

if you can find the thread that would be really helpful, thank you

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
does anybody know of a carnewal distributer/installer in the nyc area?
The only U.S. based distributor for Carnewal is Cantrell Motorsports in Bellevue, Washington. Website is cantrellmotorsports.com

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
+1 for the Carnewal Exhaust mod. I have an '06 with the modified exhaust. I recommend new tips to go with the new exhaust. My car has a nice, proper flat six grumble at start up low rpm (this is missing with stock) and real head turning growl under hard acceleration. The video link below has me at around the 1:50, 7:40, and 12:50 marks taking off very easily then hammering it at 3000 rpm. Watch the track steward look around when the noise kicked in. It appears as a bit of a sleeper when taking off easy then it growls. Please do not construe the description as loud, it is not obtrusive at all.

The car has only a modest drone between 2000 and about 2800 rpm. I am being most critical about the noise. It is not intense nor annoying. I notice a small, mild drone. As a measure, my wife has not complained!

BTW, if you watch into the video, you will see and hear a new 918 as well as a garage full of many nice cars. This was a charity event we do every year. Fun day driving kids from local hospital cancer centers and Wounded Warriors around the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnBdrrEAp4

Reactions: Grand-Cayman

·
Porsche Newbie
170 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
i have tried searching for the free exhaust mod to no avail..

sounds interesting..

if you can find the thread that would be really helpful, thank you

I did this on my 987 Cayman and now on my 981 Cayman (both Base) and I.......LOVE IT. It is seriously obnoxious and very loud. But very fun at the same time. Nothing refined about it. Terrible drone between 2K and 2600 RPM....but I keep the car out of those ranges at slow speeds manually...so no issues for me. If you have PDK and let it do it's thing at street speeds, you'll be unhappy. But if you manage the RPM...it's a great bang for your buck. (Free). Also the downshift gurgling in Sport mode is just INSANE. Give it a shot. It's easy and free and you may like it. If not...just change it back.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think it's fun that Fabspeed thinks it's necessary to label their exhaust with left and right. Probably reduces the phone calls...?
I think it's mainly because they sell those pipes separately as well and need to maintain inventory lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts